Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2020)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 27, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any android app is going to be less then totally responsive on a Chromebook. At best it still has to "thunk" out to the Android subsystem when the app is in the foreground. And in the case of infinite painter (excellent app generally by the way) it was written for the snapdragon chip and is far from optimized for intel

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    siddhartth and jedah like this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Ah nvm, I'm preaching to the choir then. Corel Painter has had a mobile app for some time, which was why I wasn't sure which one you referred to. It's called Painter mobile: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.corel.painter
    I used ot dabble with it and even purchased the whole thing to see if it was worth it. It's laggy and less stable than other apps but some of its natural media brushes are nice.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Corel Painter app was way better before they updated it shortly after release....it had alot more functionally.... but I guess there were performance hiccups....so they dumbed the app down alot. I haven't used it in years....hopefully they made it better.

As far as Android Art apps...I still think Medibang Paint is the best app.....I just can't deal with layer limits and not being able to use layer groups. Although Medibang has gotten alot more annoying to use since they started restricting certain functions to encourage people to buy the paid copy.

Still I would kill for Celsys to release Clip Studio on Android....even with that ****ty overpriced subscription model....if they ported over the iOS app to Android.....I'd buy that and probably a S6 without even a moment of hesitation.

Shogmaster likes this.
  4. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I decided not to subscribe to CSP on my iPP 2017 since I couldn't justify the cost as a hobbyist and bc I have it on a SP4. But I do sometimes question that move. When I had the trial, CSP could handle large file's w/ many layers, while Affinity Photo lagged or Procreate couldn't open the file at all. Really wish they priced it the same as PC.

5. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This tablet is as mediocre as it gets when it comes to specs, it's aspect ratio is primitive, it has a low res LCD nonHDR tft display despite being a samsung product, refresh rate is the same old 60Hz. Processor is particularly anemic, RAM is just4GB. But I happen to own a 11 inch iPadPro the best tablet in the history of tablets since the clay tablet on which Hammurabi's code was etched in, then why am i drooling over a low-end Samsung tablet ? The Answer is -
    1. Wacom EMR and Samsung
    2. Modern Design and a full sized pen with a Lovely book cover
    Dont think that i dont love my iPadPro. It's the best piece of electronic hardware i ever bought, but i have come to love it for reasons other than Notetaking. it's my 120Hz gaming machine with Apple Arcade, it's my word editing and presentation making machine too since mouse implementation came to iPadOS. It's my book reader. it is my mobile music system with its awesome speakers. What it isn't is my Notepad - as good as Apple Pencil is for artists, it is really bad for handwriting, it's way too slippery, even if you install a textured screen cover for friction, it gets gunky and slippery with your finger oils with in a day or 2. Because I am an Indian doctor working in goverment sector, the 256 GB model and cellular option both were way out of my budget. So, i am stuck with a 64 GB wifi only machine. In tab S6 lite on the other hand these features are a given. So, is the pen and the book cover - seriously the book cover is free for UK buyers.

The only reason i bought iPadPro instead iPad6 was the convenience factor, USB-C, laminated display, magnetic Pencil attachment/charging, the double tap to erase feature and a modern design. One really does not need 120Hz display for Notetaking. And this Tabs6 lite gives me all those features for the price of an iPad7.

This tablet can not game, can not video edit, can not be an e-reader for PDFs with large pages and small font, but it's good at one thing, that is note taking.

No, it's actually meant for countries like UK and US. The countries where tablet life and productivity is a thing. In South Asia, Eastern Europe most people use their phone as the only PC they have. They haven't released it in India atleast.

That's the phone i bought. It is the only affordable stylus pen in India. Note10+ is out there in luxury category. The last Note phone i bought was Samsung Note3Neo which was also a "lite" model. I could not afford the regular Note4, Note5, Note6, Note7, Note8. I had given up on samsung for not making a stylus phone in the affordable category. I love this phone, it was literally a wish that came true.
    This tablet is also a Welcome change.

Could not agree more, Samsung and Microsoft live in a world where the pricing doesn't have to make any sense, it is targeted towards fan boys who would buy their products any way. They fail to realise that unless they make tablets which have 120 Hz display, and an i7 processor for their base models, they can't go on pretending that they have an iPadPro competitors in their line up. They will never be able to survive the onslaught of the iPadOS(with mouse support) and A13bionic. TabS6 and Surface proX will go down in history as pretenders who failed to depose the real king, the iPadPro.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    hiramkey and nnthemperor like this.
  6. desertlap

So an update directly from Samsung PR. They are now positioning the Tab S6 Lite as a replacement for the Tab 5SE and there will be multiple variations including LTE versions on the major carriers which is similar to what they did with the 5SE. Gotta love Samsung and their whipsaw focus changes :)

That being said, we got our sample Friday but haven't started testing yet. I have taken it out of the box and powered it up to get it update to date with patches and apps.

@siddhartth you are right about the display; even just visually , not even close the Tab S6 and even less than the Tab 5SE (not as bright or contrasty). And the build quality is a notch down too, closer to the Tab A series.

The two positives over the S5e of course are the pen and subjectively, it seems to boot up quite a bit faster possibly due to the newer chip in the S6 Lite.

PS: I just noticed in the docks that we received, that the storage is faster relative to the TabS5e which was Emmc based so that could at least partially explain the faster boot.

PPS: If Samsung is positioning this as the replacement for the Tab S5E, and you haven't purchased the regular or keyboard folios, I'd suggest you act quickly as in the past those things tend to disappear from retail fairly quickly.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    siddhartth likes this.
  7. desertlap

And just to stoke the rumor fire...
    We've heard, very informally that the Tab 6 replacement will be called the Tab S20 with "the best display ever put in a tablet". I'm guessing variable refresh rates like what you see their S20 phones.

Also 5G in some markets ...

As always, very much rumor based so treat as such :)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  8. siddhartth

TabS6lite doesn't have POGO pins for any keyboard attachment i think. But, the regular folio that they are offering is pretty sweet given it's convenient SPen dock much more elegant than TabS6. And pen too feels much more like a regular pen from the stationery. I am jealous of our community members in UK and Europe, who are getting the folio for free.

Oh I wasn't trying to criticize the display, the point i was trying to make was it's as good as it needs to be for a Notetaking/light sketching tablet. And the same goes for other aspects of this tablet, as good as they need to be for their intended use.

The only tough pill to swallow here is lack of fingerprint unlock. I miss it on my iPadPro 2018 and i am sure i will miss it here.

I really doubt any tablet running Android or ChromeOS deserves a luxury treatment or a bigger screen size at all. The Exynos/QUALCOMMsnapdragon /Mediatek chipsets, and Android app ecosystem aren't capable enough to justify making tablets with big sizes and premium components, which push them towards iPadPro/Windows 2in1 category. Big amoled displays, glass and metal builds, are nothing but a pricey teflon coated car paint job on a lawnmower. And their sales figures show that. Samsung needs to make a Galaxy Tablet that has the same status quo with the Surface line, that Galaxy Note phones have with Google Pixels.

At this point the lowly $399 Surface Go 2 is a much more serious contender against an iPad than a big premium Android tablet will ever be.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  9. desertlap

I pretty much agree with you, but Samsung keeps trying. I think a big part of that is that Android tablets and Chromebooks are part of their mobile devices groups whereas for all intents and purposes the PC group is a separate entity with the occasional share like the S Pen.

Thus the mobile group sees a need to have an answer(s) to apples iPad.

siddhartth likes this.
  10. siddhartth

Well that would mean that, Samsung Galaxybook and Samsung Flex are made by two different companies. I find it hard to believe and also confusing. They have to be under the same umbrella corporation to get Samsung's Qled and Amoled displays and Wacom's pen tech. The same umbrella corporation that has 5% stake in Wacom. And for a corporation that shares so much of technology amongst it's company, i think you would agree, that Samsung's Tablet/Laptop/2in1 strategy is really disorganised and bordering on failure.

Forget the iPadPro, even the basic iPad+typecover with trackpad, will come out way ahead than any of Samsung's tablet offering windows or Android. And the only reason why Samsung is still in this race and in our discussion is because of it's optimization of Wacom's technology. And TabS6 lite looks like a tablet that was made keeping this very essential realisation in mind.

I really hope tabS7 runs windows10 on 8cx instead of Android on Exynos/Snapdragon.

PS: is it too greedy of me to hope for a Qled display with 120Hz refresh. :) Onenote runs beauifully on 8cx.

Last edited: May 6, 2020