Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2020)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 27, 2020.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or rather show same amount of love to their Windows tablets. GB 10.6 was almost like an abandoned child.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

WillAdams and Tams like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would love more then anything for Samsung to refresh to GB 10.6.......literally the Tab S6's formfactor of detachable keyboard cover and detachable kickstand would be so freaking perfect.

Tams, WillAdams and thierryb like this.
  3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

We now have global release, but not available to buy until April 30.

Interestingly, the French release mentions S-Pen latency improvement from 58 to 26ms over previous generation, which if I'm not mistaken brings it into Apple pencil gen 2 territory.

https://news.samsung.com/fr/galaxy-tab-s6-lite

6. o2laz

o2laz Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

All LCDs are TFTs (see here for terminology), so it will depend on the quality of panel used. I suspect it will be pretty average (probably similar to the 2019 Tab 10.1), which is actually very serviceable for modern IPS displays.

Tams and o2laz like this.
  8. o2laz

o2laz Pen Pal - Newbie

That's hopeful then. The screen was the only issue, it looks a decent buy otherwise.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So for $350 US version planned, it's replacing the S5e. That's good that all the S models should have S pen capability.

Recently I've been trying to make do with Android's Painter (formally Infinite Painter) instead my usual go to the Clip Studio Paint in order to get back to using my Acer Chrometab 10's lovely Wacom EMR. It's still a far cry from CSP, but it's somewhat tolerable in a pinch.

One of the problems with forcing myself to use the Acer is that the SoC in it is pretty old and slow: OP1 a.k.a RK 3399. It's clocked high enough and the GPU is actually not too bad for how old it is, but the A72 performance cores are far cry from even today's low end phone stuff often with A73 cores for $200ish devices.

This new S6 Lite is skimping mostly from regular S6 in the SoC department by using Exynos 9611 instead of SD 855 of the older brother. That's like 6 billion transistor flagship monster vs 3 billion transistor midrange chip for sub $500 phones. But it is a significant upgrade for the CPU from the RK3399 by using newer A73 architecture and faster/more performance cores (4 vs 2).

But then again you can still buy S4 on Amazon for $560 new or $450 refurbed. For $100 more thand a new S6 Lite, S4 would give you a much better screen (higher res AND AMOLED) and slightly faster processor (SD 835) with same RAM but with better supporting parts like camera. I don't care about the BT stuff they added to S-Pen from the Note 9 and 10. Just give me Wacom EMR core functionality and call it a day.

So I'd make the argument that if you can find Galaxy S4 for a good price, I'd choose that over this S6 Lite. But it's nice to have a sub $400 Wacom EMR tablet again and at the very least it can easily replace the Acer Chrometab 10 for me.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Shog,
    I'd be interested to hear your take on Infinite Painter. It's the only real Android art app I hear spoken about. You obviously have some critiques, but are using it. Can you talk about it strengths and weaknesses for a sec?