Galaxy Note 8 Tablet: How far back in time can I go??

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by gribley, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gribley

gribley Pen Pal - Newbie

There has been some discussion (e.g., here) about the fact that no one makes 8" tablets with a pen anymore.
    I need a tablet for notetaking/reading/marking up pdfs, and for my use (for portability in travel) the 8" form factor is pretty much ideal. I would slightly prefer Windows, but the Android apps are generally superior.

I have a Tab A 10.1 which is pretty great (and the S pen is awesome), but am looking for something smaller. There was briefly a "Tab A 8.0 with S Pen" which would be perfect, but I can't one for sale anywhere (any tips?).

The only other one I find is the Galaxy Note 8 Tablet, which is now 5.5 years old, and runs Android 4.1. A 5-year-old laptop would probably not be acceptable, but what about a 5-year-old tablet? Is it crazy to buy a machine running Android 4.1.2 (!!) in the Android 9 world? How well does it hold up?

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions of 8" tablets with a decent pen... .thanks.

2. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're willing to tinker a bit, and depending on the exact model, you can flash the Samsung note 8 with a Samsung 4.4 Rom, or even a 7.1 aosp Rom if you're willing to put up with some bugs. There may even be newer ROMs that are more stable now but that was the state of development when I last had it I think about a year ago. I had kept mine on Samsung 4.4 because it worked really well that way, with no bugs and great battery life.

A windows option would of course be the much loved asus vivotab note 8. There have been newer ones but from what I've read they don't significantly improve performance but come with the compromise of aes instead of emr. If you can find an Asus for cheap and are willing to fidget with the digitizer cable it would be a good option.

I've had both and would probably still have the Asus if I didn't need something a little bigger. I feel 8 inches is too small to comfortably read PDFs without zooming, so I got a 9 incher and had to sacrifice pen functionality.

3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Samsung note 8 also, and it's fine. I have a cyanogen 5.0 image on it right now and it works, so I'm not messing with it. The battery life is getting a little short, but for something I grab to read on the couch for short bursts it's still fine. The EMR pen is fantastic. Mine isn't getting much use anymore though as I primarily use a Tab A 9.7 with spen now. I'm finding the larger size to be better for browsing, which is most of my couch reading at this point.

But from a does it make sense standpoint, it runs OneNote, Office apps, various PDF editors, and Chrome just fine. I've had no problems with it and performance for those apps has been fine for me. So, sure, it makes sense.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have both the Asus Vivo Note 8 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (tablet) and I use the Galaxy a lot more, because the Wacom driver on Asus is wack. If you get a Galaxy you should include a battery exchange in your budget. Mine is really weak, sometimes it will drop from 65 % to 30 % in something like five seconds. But at the end of the day it really boils down to what you want to do with it. If you write a lot then Word and a keyboard on the Asus is a superior solution. If you read you'll need Kindle or Epub apps and the offerings on Windows are fairly dismal.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My Asus Vivotab has been rock solid with the Feel driver. When I get home I will look up which version it is.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

pretty much

7. Shogmaster

My Vivotab Note 8 says it's using ISD_DualTouch_732-12 Feel driver.

Clocks in at about 24MB as .exe. If you don't have this version, I will put it on WeTransfer for anyone.

8. Kumabjorn

Thanks for checking. I have ISD_DualTouch_7.3.4-47 so I would love to give that driver a try.

Right now I'm in reinstall hell. But I'll find a way to get out of it.

Shogmaster likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Seems like I fell a few circles down in Purgatory.
    I had it where I hade the reinstall Windows in a DOS like environment, but accessible through a mouse (and probably keyboard) connected through a USB OTG cable. It was showing Windows installation progress at 37 % when I had to visit the bathroom. When I came back the screen was black. And when pressing the Power button there is absolutely no reaction. No Asus logo, no backlighting turning on. Zilch.
    Right now I feel kind of crestfallen.

10. Shogmaster

I went through similar hell when I did the current Win 10 install in the Note 8. It took several tries over few weeks and I still don't know what I did to finally get it "working". The current install does work, but it's not 100% of a proper install, but I don't dare touch it because A) the Wacom pen works 100%, and B) I have a fully working copy of Squid/Papyrus still on it. You can't get that for Windows anymore (It's now Android only), and I frankly prefer it to One Note.

I will be a very sad puppy when this Note 8 bites the dust eventually...

Kumabjorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.