Galaxy Note 8- Initial Thoughts and Inking Review

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by jl199954, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using the Note 8 for months. The inking is excellent, tablet very nice and there are some very good apps such as Lecture Notes. There really isn't anything comparable to pdf Annotator on Intel Windows or Explain Everything on iOS. In fact the iPad does have better Note apps but there is that palm issue which has mostly been fixed with the new Bluetooth 4 styli. Inking is still better on the Note 8. The new Note 10.1 looks very interesting. Of course if you are into One Note then you have little choice. It's never been my cup of tea but it certainly is popular. After years of using Tablet PC's I have pretty well left Windows for the Note 8/10.1 and the iPad. My main use is giving mathematical lectures. The Note 8 screen is just slightly too small, but it does work, but Explain Everything on the iPad is really great. You can't go wrong with the Note 8 for taking lectures. Lecture Notes is really good. The only slight negative of the Note 8 is the 16:10 aspect ratio which is not as paper like as 4:3, but it's still preferable to 16:9 which is hard to get used to in portrait mode.

philip

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote is the best. This is how I get around that hurdle. I use lecture notes for my important stuff when I want to handwrite. I then output it as a PDF and insert it into OneNote on my desktop PC. With the OneNote App in Win8, iPad3 and my Galaxy Notes, I still have my main notes in OneNote without having to buy Windows Tablet PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

Not to be difficult here but I still don't get the appeal of One Note. Not particularly good at dealing with pdf's, inking is no better than many other apps but I suppose the closeness to Office appeals to people who use that program. The ability to keep track of different categories, such as courses, is nice although the program slows as you accumulate data. I guess it's a matter of preference. I don't care for OneNote, do really like PDF annotator, like Lecture Notes on the Note 8.0 and really dislike One Note on the iPad ( no inking kind of defeats the purpose although I can see its use for reading OneNote files).

Really, after so many years trying to get the Tablet PC right I don't see why Microsoft should be given another chance. Android, especially Samsung, and iOS have done more for tablets in a short time than Windows has in 10 years.

I understand that Office is still important in areas that require minimal science but surely it's time to move on.

Philip

4. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote, on the right horsepower device, has great inking, and for me- the most flexible embedding, converting, linking abilities. I speak with a large set of clients each day and the ability to link my me centric/chronological (mostly) note flow in one note with tasks, appointments, contacts, documents, scans, web links, and such is wonderful. Throw search and indexing of my unconverted chicken scratch in and it's a powerful archive for me. I can easily create content and not worry too much about sorting and filing, but then parse and sort with great tools if i do wish to.
    The downsides for OneNote have usually been device related - thickness, weight, battery, processor and RAM.
    The 8 has been a great day planner. But hasn't worked to replace the catch everything notebook with me- with clients or at my desk. All that said- my Dell XT2 sits on a shelf, my surface pro got returned because of the battery, and the note is smaller than the current moleskine that is this weeks' notebook. It has been a nice note taker. But then everything gets emailed to Evernote so I can search and store copious amounts of notes.
    I am exited about some of the coming Dell and HP tablets...hopefully a reasonable combo of power and weight, with decent inking. I want a Win8 Ipad (size, polish, and battery) with Wacom.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I agree with pretty much everything you've said! I've had my N8 for a month now and, whatever its limitations - which are due to its size, OS, price, etc, not to fails of the device - it is the device I grab for whenever I am going out for the day and don't really have time to decide what I will need. The great thing about it is that it is so incredibly light and compact and that there is nothing you can't do with it that, worst case, you may have to upload some pieces to W8 One Note or Evernote. I find 8" to just make it as a productivity tool though the 1 lb 9.7" iPad Air makes me wish Samsung could do the same thing and include the S Pen. Still, even the girth of a 10" puts it in a different catagory. I could see making the N8 an 8.5" screen with much thinner bezels and 4X3 aspect ratio and it might be a long time before I use anything else as often away from home or office (just 0.75 lb and/or 1-1.5" changes the user-friendliness for me.

Last point/question: did I read somewhere that there is now a capacitive pen made that inks anywhere close to an active digitizer like Wacom or Ntrig? Do tell.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

On the matter of reducing the Bezel....the take it you haven't seen the new Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. I wasn't going to buy it, but once I saw how drastically smaller they made it, I ended up taking it home.

The new 10.1 inch Note is only slightly bigger then the 8.0 note. They cut down on the bezel so significantly from the previous Note its almost a full Inch smaller. Like if you were to take a ruler to the 1st gen Note 10.1 the 8.0, and the 2014 Note 10.1....you'd swear that calling it the Note 9.0 would be more fitting. And they even made the top/bottom bezel wider then the side ones...so when using it in Portrait Mode...although it is still a 16:10 ratio.....it feels more like your using a 3:4 ratio.

Lets Hope Samsung follows suits with decreasing the Bezel size on update to the 8.0 and its baytrail Win 8 Tablets

7. lovelaptops

Great news darkmagistric! Had you owned an N8 before? There are apparently quite a number of new Samsung S pen apps - as well as more and more third party every day - that make the new 10.1 and 3 superior to the 8 in some features. Can't wait to hear your overall impressions. Do you plan to do a review/mini review? I haven't had a look, but if you haven't done so it might be a great idea to start a 2014 Note 10.1 thread.

The tough choice is going to be between the 10.1 and whatever $650 buys in a W8 tablet/hybrid. I'm becoming more and more a Samsung fan - and an Android fan - so I could easily be swayed to the 10.1 vs, say, the Dell Venue 11. For now I'll stick with the 8 only because I bought it so cheap ($205!) and because it allows me to hang on to my Nexus 7 2 and try to decide if I really care about resolution much greater than 1280X800 on a screen this small. (Not that I would keep the N7 and ditch the 8; just want to have an a/b to keep comparing so see if/when the difference matters.) So far, I actually prefer the Note 8's screen over the N7 2013's (would have been heresy for me to say 2 years ago when every other blog post I wrote condemned the industry for its low res displays!) in part for the size and useable space and aspect ratio (8" turns out to feel a lot bigger than 7", especially when Samsung wastes no screen real estate for function keys while doing so on the N7 gives the screen somewhat less than a full 7" real estate) but also for its brightness, deep, accurate colors (and the ability to adjust them, which no other non-windows tablet I know offers). Do you find that the hyper-density of the 10.1 has much practical application for your work or play (watching movies on my N8 is more enjoyable than on my N7, despite the 180 vs. 323 ppi) other than how pretty those few images and videos that support/scale for the 10.1's resolution? I can imagine the higher res would be ideal for tablet artists and photo editors (the latter dicey with even a powerful SoC), but I don't do either of these.

Thanks again, and do keep us posted! Btw, if you were not using an N8 before you got your 10.1, what were you using, and how does it compare?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  8. driss

driss Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont think so, but...:hi2:

9. lovelaptops

So, none of my impassioned thoughts were persuasive? lol! Just curious, though. Why would you move from a Venue 8 to a Mini? Seems like the only similarities are screen size. Virtually none of the unique things you can get done on a Venue 8 can get done on a Mini. That would partially apply to the Note 8 as well, but it has many more of the productivity abilities the Venue 8 has - despite its shortcomings - while the Mini, admittedly a smooth tablet with a gorgeous screen, has virtually no productivity support.

Just curious. I write a lot about the industry and always looking to learn what motivates consumers. You owe me no answer, but I would be curious if even a few short words. Good luck and enjoy. (I will be jealous of your screen!)

10. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I really loved my Note 8, but regrettably I had to sell it (complicated reasons). I still have my Note 2 Phablet which is my go-to portable device now. Perhaps some day in the future I'll get the 8 again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.