Galaxy Note 8- Initial Thoughts and Inking Review

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by jl199954, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

l picked up one on Thursday, but haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet. I really like the size and feel of the device so far. l also picked up the book case cover yesterday which I like a lot. Good protection and wakes the screen on opening the cover.

Edit: have either of you been able to get the Google Play credit yet? I tried to register mine, but it would accept my numbers. I'm waiting for a call back from Samsung on it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  2. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

I have not, but have not registered with Samsung either. I cannot get the sd card slot to work. I took the 64 GB card out of my 10.1, but the 8 will not recognize it. Have you inserted an sd card?
    Never mind. I tried a different 64G card and it works fine.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

And I've ordered an I- Blason cover from Amazon. I have the same kind on my 10.1 and it provides good protection without too much extra weight. The Samsung book cover seemed too flimsy to protect against a drop although it didn' t add any extra weight.

4. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

Would it be better for LectureNotes to use the Note 8 or the 10.1? Writing on the note 8 may be cramped, for example if you had to give a presentation with a Note 8 hooked up to a projector. The Note 8 is really appealing but I do worry that it might be too small to handle writing out presentations compared to the 10.1.

Also, can the Note 8 be connected to a VGA projector? What about the Note 10.1? I have to decide between the two tablets within a week and the decision is not obvious. The only VGA cable solution for the Note 10.1 seems to be to go to HDMI and then HDMI to VGA. Not ideal. I can't find any solution for the Note 8.

Philip

5. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I went ahead an bought myself a Note 8.0 today and I love it. I fit it into my old Verso tablet case (the ones that look like old books) and it fits ok. Being a Galaxy note it runs smother than my old HTC Flyer, the pen actually is supported in various apps. I can finally use my old Sketchbook pro purchase again (and a couple of games that wouldn't work on my Note phone, Jet set radio and Max Payne work now too), I even am trying out Sketchbook ink to see what it's like, I don't think it has pressure support yet.
    Between my two notes, I may start using them exclusively for my art needs, time will tell.

6. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Have a look at an app called Artflow. I've been using it more than any others lately. It's free, but you can purchase a Pro license. Screen resolution is only canvas size right now though. Otherwise its pretty impressive.

If you want the pressure sensitive Sketchbook Ink you have to buy it from the Samsung App store and it's onky available in other countries than the USA. This has sonething to do with an issue Samsung has where they can only sell free apps in the USA so far. Imo, dont bother with Ink. The pressure sensitive version has only 1 brush/pen that works with pressure.

7. pmcd

pmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

I too bought the Note 8.0 and a variety of wired and wireless converters/adapters to output the screen to projectors. It's a very nice tablet and the stylus works really well for unscripted presentations such as giving lectures. Gave a 3 hour lecture with the Note 8.0 I wirelessly connected to a VGA projector. I had previously done this with an iPad 4. Very interesting little experiment. In any case the Note 8.0 is really excellent. Well worth the price for me at least. I had tried the Note 10.1 and while the larger screen is obviously an advantage I didn't care for that tablet.

Philip

8. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Arflow looks impressive, I downloaded it and will give it a test run. Ive tested out nearly every art app that has come out since I had the HTC Flyer (which never had support from any app for its pen). So far, Sketchbook mobile and Layer paint were my go-to apps, now that I have the 8.0 I can really use SB pro. I've been waiting for the Artrage team but they are still trying to put something together, Infinate Painter was the closest to ArtRage but it still lags pretty badly slowing down work flow. We'll see how well this app works.

Is anyone familiar with a PC program called AKVIS sketch? it converts photos into sketch work in a way that actually looks like sketch work. The closest app I've found to that was SketchGuru with XnSketch pro a distant second. Does anyone know of better apps that can do the same with roughly the same level of detail as AKVIS sketch?

9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just got the note 8 two days ago. I would say it beats my expectation by a long shot. The pen execution is almost perfect. I dare to Say better than Microsoft's even even though they have been developing it for years. I don't think you find any tablet that'll be better than it. Kudos Samsung!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

10. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had the note 8 for a few months now. Like most of you, I think it is a great tablet. Inking on the note 8 is great and the tablet is quite fast. However, I don't think any inking app on android can rival Onenote at this point, and that is where I think the note 8 falls behind for me. At this point, I use my ativ 500t as my main inking tablet (Onenote) and I use the note 8 as my main reading tablet (mainly pdf's). I hope Microsoft makes inking available on android in the near future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.