Galaxy Note 10.1 lovely for sketching :)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by latinvixen, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I would probably sell the slate 7 and buy both a Cintiq and the Galaxy Note. You can't beat the portability of this thing. I had a slate 7, but ended up returning it late last year because of defect. I ended up getting an Asus ep121 which I have been using for a few months. The Asus is sitting dormant now that I have the Note 10.1. I'm planning to sell it soon. You can't beat the battery and portability of the Note.

Lots of new stuff coming out with Win8 too, so I understand it's a tough call.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Selling the S7S is not an option. While the Galaxy Note would be perfect for life drawing..It wouldn't suffice for most of my art.I do most of my Artwork on the S7S in Photoshop CS5. Its quite common for me to hit over 50 -100 layers (I'm a layer hog). I doubt the Galaxy Note would be able to keep up with that.

I also can't sell anything. I'm like a Computer Pack Rat, as my collection of Dust covered Tablet PCs can attest to. I would sell my Hp Slate 500 or Asus Ep121 before I sold the S7S.

3. Br0nxj0e

Br0nxj0e Pen Pal - Newbie

Ordered! Mine is on the way! Had a terrible time trying to get my S7 to work and touch/stylus input would fail randomly which ultimately led to me returning it. Made me sad because it was my dream device. I may pick it up again later but for everything I had to go through $1k is too much money for so many headaches. Hopefully this unit will make me happy though. Can't wait!!

4. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I personally am still waiting for the Artrage team to port to Android, although that desnt seem to be a high priority. I've played with this device at Best Buy and was impressed, I really like the rubber tip the stylus comes with for working on that slick glass screen. It's a good device for artist, it's too bad that most of the "reviews" out there are focused on comparing it with the iPad 3 and how much they think it sucks compared to the iPad. They assume that the note-taking/art-making community is small and insignificantthus the iPad is still the king of the hill. It's amazing how zombie-like the apple fans are over the iPad, even in the digital art magazines they constantly tout the iPad as the best mobile art platform out there, compleatly ignoring every other digitizer enabled tablet out there. I emailed ImagineFX about this months ago and they published my letter in their latest issue. They claimed they looked at two new tablets in that very issue; the Samsung Slate 700T (a quick review at the back of the magazine), and the Microsoft Surface, which they more-or-less conclude that the iPad is pretty much still the best mobile device for art (???)
    I've seen the iPads version of Artrage, I'm not impressed. But it seems that there is more and more art apps being created every week that blow away the last ones. It can only get better.

5. Br0nxj0e

I just got mine and well, honestly I was a little disheartened with it. Snote is a great app way better than SBPexpress (SBP is actually pretty terrible.. how can they not support pressure sensitivity in their mobile platforms??). However, the lines are so heavy even with the slightest touch. I also tried Layerpaint as previously mentioned and there also is heavy lines with barely any pressure applied. I am not certain if perhaps my expectations were too high or maybe there is a calibration I need to do with the stylus. I only had maybe an hour to play with it after the UPS man delivered it. But these are my initial reactions to it. If anyone knows more or perhaps I did something wrong let me know please!

6. cmenice

Sketchbook Express does not support pressure sensitivity. Both Sketchbook Pro and Mobile do. You have to enable pressure via the settings. LayerPaint also requires you to go to the settings to enable pressure. Please make sure to do that as I'm getting pretty decent sensitivity from these apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

7. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

You also want to click on the + icon in layer paint which will allow you to tweak the brush settings; choose ink, pencil, watercolor etc or set size & opacity.

8. Br0nxj0e

Thanks so much guys! Is sbp better than sbm on tablet? Trying to justify $5 vs $2. I'll be playing with layerpaint tonight. Thanks again guys!!!

9. cmenice

Hi, k would say just try to use LayerPaint because it gives you everything Sketchbook Pro does (I think). But if you do buy a Sketchbook, get the Pro version. The inking is better and faster and the UI is more tablet oriented.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

10. Br0nxj0e

I am starting to agree. I really am enjoying Layer paint. The more I use it, the more comfortable I am with it. Love the adjustable sizes. Thanks for the tips on how to properly set it up as well. I do wish you could save brushes though. Loving it otherwise. I probably will jump on SBP at some point because I use it on my windows tablets and love it. Thanks though for your help everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.