Galaxy Note 10.1 lovely for sketching :)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by latinvixen, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Went ahead and sold my galaxy note phone to get the larger version of it with the galaxy note 10.1

I got the tablet with the idea I could take it around to sketch. I usually get tablets and keep the ones I can do art on. The samsung note 10.1 has turned out to be really impressive all on its own. I have both ipad and note and heavily preffer the note for drawing. Simple thing is that the note supports wacom tech for the pen. So real palm rejection and pressure. With that being said I have been doing most of my sketches in the supplied app called "s-note" which is fantastic. I can sketch, save them and put them on the sd card or email them to myself to work on them later. If you are wanting to work with layers and more options sketchbook pro for android does a good job too, but not the best job avoiding your palm. So I stick to S-note for most of my sketching and taking notes. The pen itself is tucked on the side of the tablet making it really easy to take around and not loosing it like you would with a tablet that does not have a pen sylo. The stylus does not have an eraser, but any pen enabled computer wacom stylus will work and so will the eraser. Not sure why they avoided adding the eraser but you can always buy another stylus with it, or in my case use the one that came with my samsung series 7 slate as it is the same tech.

Here are 2 quick sketches I did when I got the note:

[​IMG]
    At Rosco's August 2012 by latinvixen02, on Flickr

tumblr_m8wj44Xeiy1qcwdl7o1_500.jpg

Loving the slate, and the multitask feature is amazing. You can divide the screen in 2, draw on one part of the screen while looking at reference on the other. If you are looking for a tablet that has a mobile OS and wanting to draw or take notes be sure to check this one out.

Plan to do a video review soon :). If you have any questions just ask.

2. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

We've been discussing the tablet extensively in this thread http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=52139

But you are right, I'm loving mine so far. I've been thinking of selling my Note phone.

A great app that we've discovered is called LayerPaint. It's fast, supports layers, and exports psd to name a few. It costs 2.99 and is probably the best money I've spent on an Android drawing app. It's kind of like a mobile Paint Tool SAI.

Some people say s note stinks, but I'm with you, its pretty good and it has good organization and export. I love this tablet. The only thing I do with my iPad is hand it to my daughter so she can play Angry Birds ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

3. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Thank you for the heads up on the app "layer paint" will give that a try and give a review on that. I love a lot about the note but the pen sold it for me. I was using the galaxy note phone for sketching but overtime the screen ended up being too small so I did a little size upgrade. All in all happy with this tablet.

Thanks for the link too on the thread :)

4. cmenice

I agree. I thought I would sketch a lot more on the 5.3 Note, but I barely sketch at all. Too small.

There's the link to LayerPaint to make it easier LayerPaint

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Tested out layer paint and really like that app. Super quick sketch but I can tell this will probably be my go to app on this device for now. I love that you can use the volume rocker as an undo and re do.

[​IMG]
    Art on galaxy note 10.1 by latinvixen02, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. cmenice

Yay! LayerPaint is my current favorite sketch app on Android. Easy to justify the $2.99 price point. I'm glad you're liking it.

My only concern with the Note right now is trying to figure out if I should return the 16gb and get a 32gb!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

7. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Get a 32 gb micro sd card and you get tons more space :D I did that.

8. cmenice

Yes, I did that too, bit there is one big difference with the Note 10.1. You can no longer move applications to the SD card.

So all application storage happens on the internal memory. I feel like I could do some serious storage damage in s note after a short amount of time.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

9. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

True I could see that. I suppose I was thinking mostly for art and just saving all the saved pics in the SD card instead of keeping them on the device :).

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still on the Fence about getting this.

Given how its only slightly smaller then my Series 7 Slate...any situation where I would need to bring a tablet...space wise I could just bring the Series 7 instead.

Its really the 8+ hours of battery life that's its biggest draw for me. As of late, I've been going to alot of Dr.Skechy Life Drawing Classes in my area...and as much as I love my S7S.....the battery life still won't last a whole class. I can barley get any more then 2 hours out of it, and the classes last usually 3-4 hours. Thankfully most of the Venues have had AC outlet Access....but I already had one incident where a photographer accidentally tripped over my power cord (despite me warning him about it prior), which yanked the power strip off the stage, which then yanked one of the spot lights off the stage and broke it. It was the photographers fault, but I felt like **** over the whole thing. I even offered to pay for it, but they told me it wouldn't be necessary. But also given how few spots have outlets...I have to get to the classes early to get those spots.

Now the Galaxy Note 10.1 would solve these problems completely since it can definitely outlast the class. It just that's my only need for it. Layer-paint works great on my 5-inch Galaxy Note Phone, despite some issues with the performance when Zoomed out...but with double the ram and screen space...that probably won't be much of an issue with the 10 incher.

This is also financially conflicting with a nice 2-week Euro Trip I'm about to go on, as well as this recent urge to join the Cintiq Club now that the 21ux model can be had for $1600.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.