Galaxy Book S finally shipping

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by desertlap, Jan 27, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's an interesting counter theory and there is even a sliver and again anecdotal bit of evidence to support it. Prior to release of either the Pro X or the Book S, we as a company were interested in the 8CX (then they were calling it the Snapdragon 1000) for use in some of our custom devices because of the LTE and purported long battery life.

After reviews and info about the Pro X started to circulate Qualcomm got a lot quieter and less aggressive in trying to win us a customer.
    So as a huge caveat to that statement it's equally likely that even though we have a large corporate parent we ourselves are both quite small and quite niche and may not be worth spending too much effort on.

And one last little nugget; We are getting our test unit Book S hopefully this week. We've already noticed though that they are touting LTE , size and weight and making very few claims about performance. We will of course run it through our tests to see.

2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just for context...
    I'm not involved in the computing industry and was at CES for something else. I went to Samsung's exhibition as a fan/user of the GB12. I'm definitely no insider.
    I have no idea if he's an accurate source... his badge indicated he works for Samsung and he stated he works on the laptop product team.
    Just sharing the conversation I had.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just as an update on this, I have a book S in my hands and due to the current cluster**** I'm using it as my work from home device.

I really am impressed with the build quality, including the weight, absolutely zero flex despite the low weight, and a decently responsive keyboard and above average keyboard.

The LTE is also top notch.

Now for the not so good, the x86 performance seems to be between 25-50% slower than the Pro-X. I'm still testing but on our own internal tests, these are what I'm seeing. Samsung hasn't confirmed it officially, but they seem via software to be limiting x86 emulation in order to preserve battery life. And I've seen that as well as it's getting ~3 hours more than the Pro X I had.

And FWIW if you are ok with WOA, I think it's a solid upgrade over the Book 2, assuming you are ok with a laptop configuration.

thatcomicsguy and ticol like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We're in the later days of tablet drawing, and we're all several years older, scribbling away on established tech we only dreamed of back in the 'day'.

It's so weird that we're finding ourselves having to work from home on what? Portables! Ha ha!

Still, honestly, the tech has come so far that my portable is pretty much just as good as my big home beast.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Truth