Galaxy Book S finally shipping

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by desertlap, Jan 27, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Any word on the rumored "Book3" or Galaxy Book tablet line in general? I remember you mentioning Samsung being quite boastful of their upcoming "SD1000" platform device even as far back as 2018.

Is the GB tablet line now officially confirmed dead, or just "on hold"? Maybe you can get to the bottom of this with one of the Samsung reps/engineers.

It would be a sad day to see Galaxy Books turn into just another regular line of laptops... :(

3. desertlap

No official word either way, but I suspect it's dead given the book s and the Ion and Flex. It's remotely possible they will resurrect it with a device based on the new 700 series qaulcomm chips, but that probably would be yet another name instead.

4. Marty

I remember the Samsung reps mentioning that the Book2 was selling fairly well, so maybe you could them to 'drop a hint' as an interested customer. ;)

5. desertlap

They have told us that as well. It sometimes seems like a consitent Samsung theme though.

I.E let's introduce a killer feature or product and then go completely in the opposite direction with what was supposed to be the successor.

Tams and Marty like this.
  6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Mentioned it in another thread, but was at CES and checked out the Samsung exhibit. While checking out the Ion/Flex a Samsung product engineer from Korea happened to be standing next to me. I told him I was a big fan of the Book and asked if another one was planned and he said no.

Tams likes this.
  7. Marty

Yeah, I saw your post in the CES thread where the engineer cited a "lack of market", but that seemed to contradict what @desertlap heard earlier about the the GB2 "selling fairly well".

So maybe it was not selling well globally, but did well in the US market? :confused:

Also what about the leaked roadmap, and multiple rumors of a GB3? Clearly there was some tablet in late development up to 2019H1. (But suddenly it got canceled?)

But if it was really doing as badly as the engineer said, why even develop a new model to such a late stage?

The facts just don't seem to add up.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well all that confirms is Samsung has no plans for anything in the Galaxy Book Line....but that doesn't necessarily mean we won't see something with similar Book 1 & 2 form factor. Really the Galaxy Book 10.6 & 12......The Galaxy Book 2......and the Galaxy Book S all have different form factors.......From Origami Cover.....to Kickstand/detachable keyboard.....to normal laptop form factor.......The Book line could really be anything goes at this point. But from what the Galaxy Book 10.6/12 were.....the Android based Tab S6 is more or less the perfected product of that form factor. If Samsung offered that with WOA.....the would be the closest thing to a successor to the GB 10.6.

Now as far as "lack of market" ....I have myself noticed that shift in the market. Just walk into a Best Buy.... Aside from the Surface Pro itself.....no one really seems to be using that form factor.....everything is Regular Laptop style.....with Yoga style form factor at best. The age of Surface Pro clones I think is done for now.....the next big thing will no doubt be dual screen//fold devices....so I think everyone is more or less playing it safe till that market comes more into focus.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. desertlap

All these are good points and I think I have a related theory which seems to be at the core of the way samsung operates as a company.

Unlike say Apple which has a core iPhone team, the teams for each product generation seem to vary almost completely. In other words if say the note 5 was an outsized success, the members of that team were rewarded by getting to work on other high profile product releases after the note 5 shipped.

Thus what happens is that same team is busy with other projects when work started on the note 6. Additionally because of the extremely competitive culture that engenders the team members of the new note 6 team are also very interested in making their own mark and standing out , not keeping with what came before.

My “evidence” is very anecdotal but take for instance the whole Note 7 fiasco. There’s been stories that that team was going to solve the biggest customer complaints with previous notes which was that they were thick and that battery life was less than great.That quest for “as thin as possible” and great battery life too probably led to a big battery in a not enough tolerances case design and thus the fires.

Or less spectacularly the note 8 issue where you could put the pen in the wrong way and it would get stuck. Again likely a case where the desire for thin precluded a physical guide to keep that from happening.

This culture of competitiveness is company wide. We noticed that for example the support engineers that figured out the note 7 issues early were in prominent leadership roles for the 8 release.

And it extends to their engineers that we interact with. About 1/3 of the time that we have an engineer come onsite they are new to us. That doesn’t happen as much with the sales side follows the American idea of building long term relationships.

So this is of course highly speculative on my part, so take it as such, but is based on my working experience with them the last few years.

Tams and Marty like this.
  10. Marty

Very interesting background info and theory. So while we're in 'speculation mode', let me submit a bit of my own: ;)

I think the key to all this has to do with Qualcomm actually, and late-stage problems they encountered in 8cx development (probably related to emulation and battery life).

This is why we haven't seen a single vendor announce an 8cx product (aside from the belated Book S), as MS and Qualcomm decided to ask their OEM partners to delay their WOA devices into 2020.

This would give time for MS/Qualcomm to iron out operating system and chipset optimizations, which they would then share with their board partners to create an overall better ecosystem.

Parallel to all this, Samsung looked at its WOA lineup and decided since they were delaying the GB3/GBS anyways, and detachables did not sell as well as laptops/convertibles overall, they would just axe their Windows tablet line completely and focus solely on laptops/convertibles (Book S and Flex).

If they observe the SPX selling well, they'll resume plans to launch the GB3. But if not, very sadly for us, the Galaxy Book tablet line is dead-in-the-water. :(

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    desertlap likes this.