Galaxy Book Pros are real

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by desertlap, Apr 28, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

1080p OLED is the only choice for both the 13 & 15 inch models. I’ll pass, despite the S-pen.

desertlap likes this.
  3. desertlap

agreed. I'm disappointed as well especially since there was speculation that the 15 would mark the appearance of the first 4k QLED display.

I suspect once again supply chain and chip shortages are at least partially responsible.

dellaster likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

You would think they’d at least offer their own 4k OLED as options. :confused:

Compared to the this new 360 version, an HP Spectre X360 14 remains the better choice in both price and features, except for the pen.

desertlap likes this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, that was underwhelming, especially with the hype they tried to build up.

There are quite a few improvements, I'll give them that. Although was that a lack of a silo for the stylus... At least they haven't been courageous and gotten rid of the 3.5mm port. But there was nothing new, just updates. No new 10ish" model. Hell, no detachable.

If anything, the most impressive thing was the Galaxy Book being so cheap. I suppose this is the first confirmation I've seen of the 3050ti existing too.

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. CribCoe

CribCoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this just the flex2 with a different name or what? How lazy are Samsung being at the moment!

EDIT: oh they changed the screen from one LED tech to another. Wow!

I appreciate companies who just update their lines without having to constantly create new names each iteration. Microsoft Surface or Macbooks. You get a little "here's something new" label and that's about it!

EDIT EDIT: URGHHH, are you kidding me? Again Samsung have split the spec per territory. This time EU ONLY get a 15" 360 i7 with 16GB whilst US get 13" and 15" in BOTH 8/16GB configs. WHHHYYYYYYY???!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Man, The Verge does a terrible job of spec overviews. Here is the full spec sheet:

(Samsung)
    [​IMG]

These....aren't so impressive, considering they sacrificed the silo and dGPU options for the sake of thinness compared to the Flex and Flex 2 5G:

[​IMG]

Only a ~10% reduction in weight, but along with a ~10% reduction in battery capacity vs. the 13" Flex. :vbfrown:

I was so hopeful for these, but the only real reasons to upgrade over the Flex 1 and 2, is if you absolutely need deep blacks (or thinness on the 15"). But c'mon Samsung, at least give us a 4K 15" OLED option, so we can use this for serious graphics work!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    thatcomicsguy and Tams like this.
  8. jedah

jedah Scribbler - Standard Member

3lb in a 15" convertible is pretty impressive to me. If they made it 16:10 like so much of the industry has been doing lately, this would be an easier decision for me.

COGBABY and daddyfish like this.
  9. desertlap

I intend to ask next week when we get to see them, but I suspect the reason they didn't go 4K OLED either was for battery life/weight.

One little blurb we got says these are the "most packed systems we've ever offered". Of course you can take that multiple ways, not the least of which is marketing hype

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yawn....so disappointed with their offerings.

As a huge fan of the original Galaxy Book, I hate how they refocused the Galaxy Book Brand away from Pen usage, they technically already did this with the Galaxy Book S and FlexA, but this is just doubling down now, and Galaxy Book is just code for premium laptop. And I was so hoping for a detachable, some thing more similar to the GalaxyBook 1 & 2. A modern update to the Galaxy Book 10 especially I would have preordered on the spot.

but same form factors, same screen res, yawn. It may be better then ever, but it’s still more the same,

The only exciting part is the 13 360 has 16GB of Ram, and that Galaxy Odyssey seems to be packing sufficient power with a 35w CPU and the GTX 3050 it. Pity they couldn’t have made that a 360/SPen as well. Would have been great for Photoshop/3D artists.

One thing of note, for the Odyssey, they mentioned a 135W USB-C charger, I thought USB-C charging could only max at 100w?

starllcraft and dellaster like this.