Galaxy Book Ion finally available in US, but only 8GB (as of 5/2/2020). 16GB when?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, May 2, 2020.

1. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

I am interested in the Galaxy Book Ion 15.6 16GB.
    For months, I have been searching Google at least once a week and also waiting for Samsung to send me an update regarding availability in the US.
    Today I noticed that a store in the US has the Galaxy Book Ion 15.6" model in stock, but only the 8 GB RAM model - NP950XCJ-K01US

Anyone heard anything about 16GB model availability in the US?

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn’t hold out much hope.....the Galaxy Book Flex (the blue themed/spen one) that was just released....came in 13/15 inch sizes with....8Gb for the 13 and 12GB for the 15.....,with no option to configure either model with higher Ram. It’s not the first time Samsung has done this....but if they are not currently offering a Ion with 16GB of Ram.....I doubt they will at all....

Tams and njweb like this.
  3. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I think you're right unfortunately. :(
    I wanted the Ion since the Flex is significantly heavier than the Ion and Flex also has a shallower keyboard travel than the Ion and I did not exactly like the Notebook 9 Pen's keyboard (returned it due to that) which is similar to the Flex's keyboard I believe. Battery life is also a bit better on the Ion, although the Flex has great battery life too.

Given I already own a nice HP Elitebook 1050 G1 with 16 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1050 and a Core i7-8750h with a fast 1 TB SSD, I want at least 16 GB RAM in any replacement laptop (e.g. Ion or alternative *).
    My main reason for wanting the Ion is the much lighter weight than my HP, as well as better battery life. QLED display is also a nice plus on the Samsung.

* The LG Gram 15 was another contender due to being lightweight and lengthy battery life, like the Ion, but the keyboard (per review below) leaves a little to be desired like the NB 9 Pen / Flex.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/samsung-galaxy-book-flex-review/

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  4. DgangGreen

DgangGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same concerns, however I saw a youtube video of someone installing an additional 8GB of RAM and I did the same. I can confirm that the laptop has an additional slot for an NVMe drive and also a slot for DDR4 RAM. It is a very simple install, but the bottom of the laptop is VERY flimsy and easy to bend so you need to be very careful upon removal. Only the 4 screws under the rubber feet, then 2 additional to remove the RAM cover. I used the RAM kit from Amazon linked in the video and all is running great for me.

JoeS, Marty and njweb like this.
  5. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Very nice, thanks a lot for sharing!
    Too bad I did not know this earlier. Given the Ion only came in 8 GB RAM (~ a week ago - before your post), I recently ended up finding and getting the 16GB Galaxy Flex [Korean version] with the nVidia graphics from a US seller for the same price Best Buy has the 12GB version of the Flex with Intel-only graphics.
    Also found out from someone here or on the Notebookreview forum, that the Flex CPU is a newer design than the Ion, which helped too. Also like the Flex case strength / build and the blue color is a nice bonus.

Will share link to a post about it.

Just started using it this past weekend. Will share my impressions (so far) in a thread. So far I think I can (hopefully) live with the shallow key travel. Will decide in next day or two...
    If we weren't in a COVID situation I would try the Ion out in person at a store to test the keyboard; the Ion is supposed to have more key travel than the Flex according to one site that checked both out at one of the electronics shows earlier this year (or late last year).

Hope you' re enjoying your Ion so far? Its low weight is really impressive.