Galaxy Book Flex2

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by ps555, Jan 30, 2021.

1. ps555

ps555 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since my post in the "Galaxy Book Flex initial impressions"-thread, I did more investigation about the Galaxy Book Flex2. And because the Flex1-thread ist not really the right place for it, here is an update:

Samsung has released (or is in process of releasing in a more global perspective) two different Galaxy Book Flex2 series:
    1. Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2 5G
    2. Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2
    The basics are the same:
    • Intel 11th gen i5/i7
    • Convertible with S-Pen
    • Thunderbolt 4
    • Bluetooth 5.1
    But there are many differences:

Galaxy Book Flex2
    • Mystic Black or Mystic Bronze
    • 13" and 15" model (very similar to Flex1)
    • in Korea there are models with 5G
    • i5/i7
    • up to 16GB
    • up to 1TB
    • optional Geforce MX450
    • only USB-C ports (with Thunderbolt 4)
    • S-Pen on the (right) side
    • already released in Korea. I did not find any relase dates for other countries.
    • Youtube:
    • Samsung Press: https://bit.ly/2YtSmmf

Galaxy Book Flex2 5G
    • Royal Silver
    • 13" (more like Galaxy Book Flex alpha than Flex1)
    • always with 5G (of course)
    • i5/i7
    • up to 16GB
    • up to 1TB
    • no Geforce (Flex1 and Flex2 offer Geforce in 15" only, too)
    • USB-C (with Thunderbolt 4)
    • USB-A
    • HDMI
    • S-Pen in front
    • already released in Korea, Germany
    • UK: 12th february 2021
    • Youtube:
    • Samsung Press: https://bit.ly/2MlGCzN

For comparison the Samsung Press infos about the first generations are useful:
    So. Because there are no releasedates yet (for me the release in Germany is the relevant one), I am trying to decide, if it is better to wait for the Flex2 or get the Flex1 right now. I really like the royal blue (!) and dislike the bronze, but the 11th gen core i5/i7, Iris Xe and MX450 are remarkable upgrades.
    And the specs do not tell us about other upgrades (e.g. speaker, display ...)

But in Germany I can get the Flex1 for about 70% of the official pricepoint at this moment.

twitfri and darkmagistric like this.
  2. ps555

ps555 Pen Pal - Newbie

Next update: there is a new videoreview on youtube: https://bit.ly/3oI6oLT
    The Flex2 5G does not only look like a successor to the alpha, it IS like an Galaxy Book Flex2 "alpha" 5G:
    • no air gestures
    • no power share

twitfri likes this.
  3. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know the USA availability? I am primarily interested in the 13.3” flex 2 for 16gb ram as the old version was only available with 8gb.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

ahem...as far as Ram is concerned, I wouldn't be too optimistic that the US will get 16GB, the spec pages cruelty mentions for Ram...

Up to 16GB (LPDDR4x)
    * May differ by market.

meaning I wouldn't be all too surprised if Samsung again throws us 8GB for the 13, and 12GB for the 15.....again

dstrauss and CribCoe like this.
  5. CribCoe

CribCoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I definitely think I'll be upgrading this time. I've really enjoyed using the Notebook 9, but I mostly use it for drawing in tablet mode and 15" is bulky to get around. So I'm looking for an 13". Also, when I do animate on it, I don't think I'm going to be missing any screen real estate hopping down a few inches.

I'm looking for maxing out the spec as much as possible for longevity sakes, but once again Samsung have been plebs with the specs they delivered to the UK. For the 13" we get an i5 8gb (fine) and then an i7 8gb. But then take a look over at Samsung Germany and they have an i7 16gb for the 13" https://www.samsung.com/de/pc/galaxy-book/samsung-galaxy-book-flex2-5g-i7-16gb-512gb-np930qca-ka2de/ Does it ship outside its territory? Nope! But, anyway, Germans, enjoy this link, you won the lottery on the spec-game here! Bloody brexit is ruining tech now!

Samsung always does this, it's infuriating, like the Flex 15" getting just 12gb ram but costing the same amount of an imported 15" i7 16gb nvida system. AGHHH.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Granted Covid and the current uncertainly of open/closed borders would complicate things, but if not for Covid, given how cheap airfares within Europe generally are, would there be anything preventing a UK citizen from doing a weekend trip to Berlin and just buying the tech there?

I remember years back, my last time in Germany in 2012, I was browsing in the Dortmund Saturn store (its like the German equivalent of the US Best Buy) and while I always browse foreign tech stores, typically I don't buy anything because of the price mark up, (but its still fun to just browse the foreign tech selections). In this specific instance thought they had a Nostromos GamePad that was on sale, and after the exchange rate, it was lower then the US price, so I was going to buy it. But for some reason they wouldn't sell it to me. They wouldn't take my Credit Card (not a chip/pin problem) and I then I tried paying cash for it, and even then they still refused the purchase. However I was also buying a much cheaper pair of headphones, and that they sold me, but the Game Pad for whatever reason they wouldn't sell me. My German is horrid, and English isn't as widely spoken in Dortmund as it would in other larger cities, so the language gap definitely added to it, but the impression I got was perhaps Germany limits bigger priced tech purchases to German citizens?

CribCoe and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Heh. I'm actually surprised they wouldn't sell to you even with cash! Maybe if you'd originally offered to pay with cash it would have avoided the red flags going up, but honestly! How messed up is that? The Germans have always been among the first in line when it comes to adopting new and fancy technological solutions, and population control measures reside in that same box. The rest of us will catch up, for sure.

Check it out: The best light bulbs in the world now exist, are sold today.., buuuuuut you can't get 'em in the West. The PTB won't allow it:

I remember my first skirmish with this globalist population control crud back in 2017 when I had to resort to back channels to get my current Samsung N9P; somehow Canada had failed to get on the cool kid's list. Not that they just didn't get distribution, mind you, but shipping policies were aggressively levied against selling to Canadians.

I wonder if our current PM and his obvious subservience to Mordor has something to do with the blue Flex (with glorious 16Gb!) now being available in the Great White North?

Probably I'm just being a (gasp!) conspiracy loon.

Probably.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Wouldn't you lose basically lose warranty if you buy from a German store as someone in the UK because of Brexit? (/as in it is harder to send it back now and more can go wrong on the shipment back / delays.)
    Also I think German has might have more models because Europeans from other countries buy from Germany shops too (though this was also the case for the UK, at least some years ago).

, might want to check if the 13" has a 16:10 or 3:2 screen, a 16:9 13" screen is cramped imo (especially when you come from a 15" screen).

9. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't understand the RAM constraint by market. I also don't understand having anything less than 16GB RAM. This is frustrating because no other company makes a Wacom EMR based convertible anymore. Its either Wacom AES or N-Trig for all of them. Glad Samsung still makes them but their boneheaded decisions about availability and spec constraints baffle me.

It seems apart from South Korea, no other country has seen release of Galaxy Book Flex2, that is one without the 5G. The release in UK and Germany are for the 5G versions only.

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, because it saves costs and many people have enough with 8 gb ram or Samsung probably thinks not many people want to pay the price for the 16 gb ram model in the respective area. Especially with a fast nvme ssd high amounts of ram is less needed (only really needed if you periodically need much ram). It also helps a bit to just throw Chrome out of the window if one has not done already.
    12 gb ram would be a better balance though in my opinion, but than you would also lose on dual channel which means a crippled igpu.

twitfri likes this.