Galaxy Book Flex touchscreen keeps dropping out

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Steve B, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I'm having a very strange experience and I'm looking for input on how to potentially solve it.

Out of nowhere- no updates, nothing, no new programs- the touchscreen keeps being unresponsive. The pen input still works though. If I reboot, all is well for about another 5-10 minutes, then it drops out again. I tried disabling and enabling the touch driver, but that didn't help either. But what's even weirder is if I put the device into sleep and then reactivate it, all is well again with touch input. ??? It's odd as hell.

Has anyone had something like this happen to them?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The only remotely similar thing I've seen is that Edge would seemingly lose the ability to recognize touch. It would take quite a while to come back if I kept Edge open. If it only happens when you use Edge, that might be it.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, and similarly, if I can put it to sleep and then turn it back on and touch works again, then the problem is a software issue and probably not a hardware issue. Right? Sort of like whatever was going on with edge was also a software issue. Does that makes sense?

I really don’t want to wipe the laptop and start over from scratch but if I have to I will. That’s better than having to go buy an entirely new device to finish the project I’m on for the next two weeks. Or having to put the device to sleep every five or 10 minutes. LOL.

I’m hoping someone else responds with alternative ways to fix the problem. Thanks for chiming in!

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Sure thing. Could still be hardware if it's some connection that doesn't hold when the device gets hot.

Something else you could try is looking in the device manager (Win-X m) and see if one of the "Human Interface Devices" shows an issue (yellow icon overlay on the device iirc).

Or you could check the event viewer (Win-X v) when it goes bad, and see if there are any recent errors in the various sections (application / security / system). If you see lots of errors don't panic, the event viewer always looks like your system is about to die.. :D

Oh, another less scary looking option is to see if there are any crashes shown in the reliability report (hit start, type reliability and select View reliability history). That's all I can think of right now, hope you manage to track down the issue.