Galaxy Book Flex - Issues w/ disconnects / getting max. speed with AC1900 USB wifi (Netgear and As

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, Jun 9, 2021.

1. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Summary:

I have a 15.6" 16GB Galaxy Book Flex and have issues (like many other users) with my Netgear A7000 USB wifi adapter disconnecting (and getting stuck in a hung state) on my Samsung Galaxy Book Flex laptop.
    Unfortunately for me the powered USB hub solution provided by one owner worked for 24 hours before it disconnected and got stuck.
    I tried this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VK9C24M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The same exact A7000 adapter works fine on my Predator laptop for weeks on end at full speed with no disconnects.

Background / Issue:
    The Netgear A7000 USB wifi adapter (and Asus USB-AC68 wifi adapter too for that matter) when used with my Samsung Galaxy Book Flex 15.6 disconnects after anywhere from 1 hour to 1 day... The notable thing with this laptop is that it only has USB-C ports and hence requires a USB-C to USB-A adapter to connect the A7000 wifi adapter to the laptop.

Once the A7000 disconnects, I cannot reconnect to wifi via the A7000 until I unplug it (so laptop can be rebooted - it hangs on reboot otherwise). Once the laptop has been rebooted, the A7000 works again.

However, the internal wifi adapter (Intel AX201) NEVER disconnects on the same laptop...

By contrast, the same Netgear A7000 adapter works fine for weeks on end without any disconnects on my other laptop which has an actual traditional USB-A 3.0 port - an Acer Predator G5-793-72AU laptop.

Solutions attempted without success:

I tried disabling the RunSwUSB service, but that reduces A7000 wifi speeds from 700 Mbps + (it gets up to 850 Mbps closer to the router) to 160 - 300 Mbps e.g., so that is NOT an option for people who want full speed.

I also tried extracting just the driver (per another Youtube 'solution') and that also did not work.

Next Steps:

I am convinced the reason it works on my Predator but not my Galaxy Book Flex is due to the USB controller brand / chipset on each laptop (the A7000 works fine with some and not with others) and / or the use of a USB-C to USB-A adapter...

Too bad manufacturers (e.g. the new Dell XPS 15) are doing away with USB-A ports... They should keep at least one USB-A port and the rest of the ports can be USB-C...

Anyway, has anyone else here tried any USB based AC1900 wifi adapters with their Galaxy Book Flex AND actually gotten full speed (e.g. 700 - 850 Mbps actual wifi download speeds on high speed internet plans) without disconnects every 1 hour to 1 day with USB-based wifi adapters with the Galaxy Book Flex or other USB-C based laptops?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  2. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Have any other Galaxy Book Flex owners tried any AC1900 USB wifi adapters on a gigabit+ connection and gotten good wireless download speeds without issues (hanging)?

The main difference between my 32GB RAM Acer Predator laptop, with which my Netgear model A7000 AC1900 USB 3.0 wifi adapter works flawlessly day in day out for a full work day each day and has literally never disconnected) and my Samsung Galaxy Book Flex is that the latter (Flex) has only USB-C ports (no USB-A ports) and they have different USB controllers.

So I suspect either the Flex's USB chipset / controller model or fact that it only has USB-C ports and hence the need to use a USB-C to USB-A adapter is a major contributing factor to the A7000 not working well on the Flex. LIkewise the Asus USB-AC68 also has issue on my Flex

3. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Partial Update:
    I got another laptop 15.6" XPG Xenia Xe (16GB, i7, 1TB SSD version) Gaming Lifestyle Ultrabook to try / test my Netgear A7000 wifi adapter with given the issues I noted above with the Netgear A7000 when used on my Galaxy Book Flex.
    Note - The A7000, which has issues with my Flex (perhaps due to USB-C needing a USB-C to USB-A adapter, works fine with my older (albeit now upgraded to 32GB RAM and 2 new hard drives) Acer Predator laptop.

The XPG Xenia Xe is similar size to the Galaxy Book Flex - almost identical width and depth, although the hinge is lower, so the top of the screen is lower on the XPG when opened. The XPG base is however noticeably thicker.
    Weight is 3.44 lbs for the Flex vs 3.64 lbs for the XPG. XPG has an even faster SSD (believe fastest of any Ultrabook) than the already very fast SSD on the Galaxy Book Flex.

I love the keyboard on the Xenia Xe (much nicer feel than the Flex). Ironic since I almost did not get it due to ONE of the site reviews lambasting the keyboard (that reviewer must be expecting a mechanical keyboard). Other reviews did not love the (slight) additional distance between the keys, which will take a little getting used to. But the feel is great and travel / feel is noticeably better than the Flex (my main gripe with the Flex till now).

Anyway, back to the issue, after setting up the XPG, which has the same Intel AX201 wireless card as my Samsung Galaxy Book Flex, I ran a bunch of wifi speed tests with the built-in AX201 (before I even bothered to try it with the Netgear A7000).

Most surprisingly, the XPG Xenia Xe (placed in the exact same location) as the Galaxy Book Flex and despite having the same embedded Intel AX201 adapter as the Flex) consistently gets up to 50% better results (same browser and same server, tests run a minute apart back and forth).

Flex wifi speeds in Mbps:

XPG wifi speeds in Mbps:

I will still test the XPG with the A7000 USB wifi adapter (to be true to my promise), but regardless of the outcome, I am leaning towards selling my beloved Flex and keeping the XPG:

The XPG Xenia Xe has pretty much everything I love about the Flex:
    • Solid performance
    • Very portable
    • Very good battery life
    • Great very bright screen
    The XPG also adds the following additional benefits over the Flex for me:
    • Much nicer feeling keyboard
    • Better wifi performance (despite same adapter as the Flex as noted above)
    • Lightning fast SSD
    • Additional ports (USB-A most notably and HDMI)
    • Much quieter so far (likely due to more room under the unit for cooling
    Nice but not as big as other benefits above- Newer 11th Gen i7 CPU and Iris Xe graphics) and is even more solid.

My only reason for hesitating to keep the XPG and sell the Flex is that I will take a sizable hit (estimating potentially $500 - $600) when I sell the Flex given the steep depreciation on these after 1 year combined with selling fees.

Till the XPG, the Flex was probably my favorite 15.6 " laptop.
    I have been using the Flex as a 2nd laptop for use around the house when not working plus for occasionally working when away from home; I use it in conjunction with my primary WFH machine which is my late 2016 / early 2017 Acer Predator hooked up to two Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors). The Predator recently got a RAM upgrade (to 32GB) and two faster drives (an EVO M.2 2280 SSD for my OS and an EVO 2.5" drive for data).

I have had the Flex about 13 months and got it after having previously tried the following laptops:
    Dell XPS15 (kept about 2 years I believe, then sold)
    LG Gram 15 (returned to store)
    MSI (returned to store).
    Lenovo Thinkpad Extreme Gen 1 (kept 1 year. then sold)
    HP Elitebook 1050 G1 (kept 1 year, then given to my wife for WFH, along with her XPS13 - which was also mine before) a
    (My main

Anyway, I will try the A7000 with the XPG, but even if the A7000 doesn't work, with the Xenia either, given the much faster wifi even with the same AX201 as the Flex and other benefits noted above, I may keep the XPG and sell the Flex which lacked a good keyboard and wifi performance the AX201 can offer with the right laptop.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021