Galaxy Book Flex - Is this screen protector a decent option to reduce glare?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, Jun 10, 2020.

1. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    njweb likes this.
  3. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!
    Seems the matte anti-glare one was not tested by him since he did not receive a sample of that one.
    I would need the matte on since I mainly want a protector to reduce glare; I sit by a large sliding door much of the time and there is a lot reflection from the glossy screen.
    But I do not want to sacrifice image quality. That being said, I can bump up the brightness to help and I am getting used * to the glare.

Speaking of getting used to things, it is like the Korean characters on the keyboard which I thought might be annoying when I got my Flex - I don't even notice them anymore; it also helps that it is a QWERTY keyboard with US characters printed on the keys and anyway I know the placement of the individual keys by heart.

fishdavis likes this.
  4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the matte anti-glare photodon on my GB 12 for quite a while until it developed a bubble under the screen when my friend drew too hard on it. I really liked the texture for drawing/writing on. It cut out reflections well, however I think the image quality thing would be personal taste. It didn't bother me but it's definitely not quite as crystal clear as having the original screen. I would have replaced mine with the same protector, but it's really expensive to ship from them in the US to Canada.

About your Korean Flex keyboard - is it exactly the same as a standard US layout then? Are there any keys that are in odd places?

It was hard to tell in listings because they often just have a picture of the English labelled keys for some reason even though they're selling the K/E version.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    njweb likes this.
  5. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks regarding the Photodon! For now I may stick with it the way it is since I like how sharp and clear the image looks; reflections have not been much of an issue (at least indoors where I have used it the overwhelming majority of the time, even with the screen facing the sliding door).

Same layout and no odd locations. So, yes, the keyboards are almost the same in terms of having the exact same number of keys and same key locations (checked Best Buy photos versus mine).

Exact differences (Korean model listed first):
    1) The very first key - ESC key - has' Esc' in English only, but also has a Headphone symbol (nothing in Korean though).
    English model does not appear to have the extra headphone symbol (based on Best Buy photo as noted above).

Note - Many keys only have your usual English symbols or English wording, with nothing in Korean on them,
    Keys that fall into his category are all the number keys: Tab, Caps Lock, Shift, Left Ctrl, Left Alt, Fn, Insert/PrtSc, Fn Lock, Windows symbol, ?, <, >, {, }, / , -, +, backspace, Num Lock, Enter, End, Pg Dn, pg Up, Home, Del, Ins. (see #3 below though for 2 exceptions),

2) All the letter * keys have the QWERTY English characters and layout; however each letter key (* as well as the | key) also has one (occasionally two) Korean character(s) to the right of the English characters.

3) Interestingly, the right ALT and right CTRL keys are in Korean only. These are the only 2 keys without English/Universal symbols or English wording.
    I personally do not use the right ALT and right CTRL and only noticed this today (had the laptop since mid May) when comparing everything to the BB US version keyboard in order to reply to you!

thatcomicsguy, fishdavis and Marty like this.
  6. fishdavis

No problem! The photodon protector I had was MXH type. It was better than other antiglare matte protectors I've used in the past. My friend pushed seriously hard with the pen to make the protector deform and bubble, so much so that I thought he had damaged the actual screen itself (fortunately not). I had no problems with it aside from that.

Thank you for taking the time to note down all the keyboard details! That is really helpful. I'm actually going to go order the Flex now, wish me luck. How weird about the right ALT and CTRL being Korean only, also hilarious that you didn't notice at all. I don't tend to use those keys either so it's not a problem. Interesting choice putting the headphone function key on the ESC key.

njweb likes this.
  7. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the additional insights regarding the Photodon!

Good luck with the Flex; I think you will be happy! You already know the pros and cons, so doubt you will have any surprises, aside from good ones. :)

fishdavis likes this.
  8. fishdavis

No problem! And, thanks, you and Lisa Gade's review seriously helped this decision. I'll report back with thoughts whenever I finally end up receiving it, with one last ditch attempt to ask S Canada if they're bringing the 13.3 inch 16 gb model here. Highly doubt it but you never know!

njweb and thatcomicsguy like this.