Galaxy Book Flex initial impressions 15.6" 16 GB RAM + nVidia (Korean version)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, May 18, 2020.

1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Ahh I see, thanks for that info! I just found a newer Note pen that I forgot I had, and it doesn't have an offset, sweeeet!

It's really nice having the stylus docked in the machine as a backup. I missed that on the GB 12.

Yep! It's just the integrated Iris Plus.
    I will say that the Iris Plus is a LOT better than the previous integrated-only chips, which is not hard as they were beyond terrible. I would rate it as having gone from 'utterly pathetic' to 'okay'. Don't expect to play demanding FPS type games or anything tho. Techspot did a good in-depth comparison of the i7-1065 and I would say that reflects my experience with the 15W chip so far. Surprisingly good for a superlight ultraportable though.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1951-intel-core-i7-1065g7-iris-plus-graphics/

I have yet to see any evidence of this 20h battery life, haven't even seen 10h being reported yet :p
    The hinge can be a bit floppy. I wish it was a bit tighter for lap use. It's fine on a table though.

By the way, if anyone is looking for the ENG manual, the link was broken on the site and I asked them for a working link. Here it is for convenience https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202007/20200702133316442/Win10_Manual_ENG.pdf

2. CribCoe

CribCoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone talk sense into me, I'm in two minds and dizzy and giddy!

I imported a good deal on the Notebook 9 Pro 15" MX150 into the UK, and love drawing on it and all that, but was considering a Tab S6 as a secondary device to this already secondary machine! But this Flex 13" with 16gb i7 though!

Should I get the Flex 13", one device to rule them all? Or stick with what I've got and grab a secondary Tab S6? Or just sell everything and go live in the woods?

wytn likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well.., maybe my experience can help inform your decision. I have a Samsung tablet, a Galaxy S3.

It has a pen, but I find it pretty much hopeless for drawing; too small, too limited, Android is annoying as hell, it's a huge hassle moving files around, and I always need to end up in a real program (Photoshop or CSP) and even word processing is a nightmare.

I had all these great plans for it, but in real world use I only find myself watching movies on it, and it's primary task for the last year has been that of an expensive alarm clock. I wouldn't buy it again unless it were half the price. Plus.., I have to say, Android keyboards are a joke; they work differently for every app and the keys are slow to respond. It's a very awkward tool.

By contrast, my Samsung 2-in-1 is a reliable workhorse. I'd buy the Notebook 9 Pro 15 again in a heartbeat!

CribCoe likes this.
  4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Flex 13 / 16gb i7 is really snappy. I haven't experienced any lag yet using Photoshop, standard apps and so on (not trying to run the latest FPS games obviously). I haven't tried to set up the side button on pens though, because I use a button-less stylus these days.

I must say it's really light considering what's packed into it.

One thing that annoys me is that the hinge is quite loose. It will stay up as long as I don't jog the machine, but if I have it past a right angle, mine can easily flop back downward, so I'm careful about holding it on my lap and so on. At a right angle it's fine, but that isn't ideal for lap typing. Bumpy ride = screen sometimes flops back downward. This might be random based on the individual model as people seem to have been reporting different degrees of hinge stiffness in reviews I've seen.

I suppose the question is if you really need to upgrade your Notebook 9 yet? The Flex was pretty expensive in this configuration. I only went for it because my GB 12 was starting to whitescreen and was past warranty (besides being pretty slow for what I need to run now).

Something else might come out in the next year or two that suits your needs better. You might want to wait for Tiger Lake, I read something about them having 50% more L3 cache for example (at which point I may have massive FOMO)

CribCoe and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

The 'Bluetooth needing to be turned on and off after resuming from sleep' issue returned again.
    Edited second time: Tried Intel's BT driver again, it did not work (seemed like it did, but it did not).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  6. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a 13 inch problem? Here is my 15 inch:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the last picture is still raised from the table as the hinge on my laptop is rather stiff. They hold these positions effortlessly.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The hinge on my 15" is also fine. No issues really.

8. thatcomicsguy

Ha ha! -Until I read the last sentence, I thought this was a time-lapse sequence demonstrating a weak hinge. Glad it's not.

Also... I found your stylus.

wytn and JoeS like this.
  9. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

10. thatcomicsguy

wytn and JoeS like this.