Galaxy Book Flex initial impressions 15.6" 16 GB RAM + nVidia (Korean version)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, May 18, 2020.

1. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed N9P appear to be holding their value well.
    Makes me even more glad I got the 16GB Flex with nVidia MX250 for $1,400.
    Just need to remember to find time to figure out Korean version warranty registration; between work and other personal stuff, it has been very busy.

2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a fantastic deal... is that with an i7?
    The best deal I can find is an i5 16GB Flex with MX250 for $1,850
    The best MX150 N9P deal I can find is $1,700 and that's with 8 GB ram.

Unfortunately, the aftereffects of Covid into manufacturing and work-from-home seem to have stagnated prices right now. I saw some old auctions for an N9P with MX150 fetch $750 back in March.

njweb likes this.
  3. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, i7 with 512GB SSD - Samsung Galaxy Book Flex NT950QCG-X716 Laptop 10th i7-1065G7 MX250 / 512GB 16GB.

I was thinking the same about work from home and COVID-19 production impacts keeping prices up a bit, although I got less than I wanted for my Surface Book 2 15" 512GB (brand new); luckily it was close enough to break even after fees and high shipping (I offered it Free Shipping) since I had gotten it for a great price (long story); ironically I had never opened my replacement SB2 since I did not like the fact that the machine could not be opened if needed, combined with the fact that my Elitebook was working nicely for me while I looked into potential alternatives.
    Also, Elitebook 1050 G1's are not fetching what they should IMO. When I bought mine just over a year ago there were no comparable sales, so I had to gauge value based on what it was worth to me. My wife is keeping that one. If it were just lighter, smaller and had better battery life, it would be a keeper thanks to its great keyboard, CPU, ability to be upgraded, build quality and graphics.
    So it appears demand for certain models is a big factor too, whereas deals can be found on others, especially less known rock solid machines.
    Part of me still misses the Elitebook's keyboard, but the Flex is a great machine (minus the keyboard and inability to upgrade RAM or add a second SSD - [e.g. as a backup drive in case primary fails]) and I am planning to keep it. Thankfully SSDs are more reliable than the old disc-based HDDs.

Anyway, good luck in your search!

4. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

1400 dollars!? That's a very low price and you won't find it anywhere at that cost anymore.

The Flex and Ion are being released in the UK this month. The Flex is only advertised in the 13 inch size without any mention of a gpu on the Samsung uk website.

I watched another review of the flex with someone testing the audio quality against other machines. Very insightful. It does show the low volume and the overall sound quality doesn't seem good at all, which is a shame. However - his machine was also very buggy on the pen gestures, as they were not always registering and said many people will having the same problems.

I'm not concerned with pen gestures, but the audio quality he reviewed against all the other various laptops was disappointing.
    Still - it looks like the best option for me due to the pen I will be using for art/illustration.

njweb likes this.
  5. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, seems I did get lucky to get it at that price.

Hi, do you have a link to that Flex review? Looking forward to another review, although the low volume was one of the first things I noticed on my Flex, as noted in my 'Cons' section.
    Edit - Never mind, found the new review on Youtube "Samsung Galaxy Book Flex "Real Review" where he compares the audio of various laptops.

I did get Boom 3D audio app (thanks to Steve for the idea in his post!) which helps boost the Flex's volume somewhat ($12 on sale).
    I was also spoiled by the Elitebook's very loud built-in B&O sound system which did not help matters when I compared the Flex and HP side by side.
    Luckily for daily use, I don't play that loud anyway... I do like to sometimes like to crank youtube music video clips on my laptop though.

Will be interesting to watch some Netflix content on the Flex when traveling; that is when the volume limitations may come into play. Will test it out today. Did notice that volume was not loud on one show / movie I tried in Netflix on my Flex but have not used Netflix on it just yet aside from that one brief test.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  6. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

I look forward to hearing your Netflix audio experience. With YouTube, some YouTube videos already have low sound settings.

7. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

My one concern with buying it from S Korea (seriously can’t believe they don’t sell the 13.3 over here with an option for 16gb RAM despite having an i7 chip wtf) is having issues with it and then ??? if anything is wrong with it... I see a bunch of reviews that complain about loose hinges and it seems random as to whether you get a good one or a bad one...? I wonder if there are screws anywhere that tighten the hinges.

Incidentally how terrible is the battery life when you’re running things that tank it, as you mentioned in your first post? Like running Meet for example.

I’d love to know your bluetooth fix since my Galaxy Book 12 has always had a weird issue with bluetooth mice going to sleep randomly or being a pain to wake up (I disabled sleep on bt devices and that stops them having the wake up issue, but kinda hacky)... i saw other reviews complaining about this bluetooth issue. Aaaah Samsung

8. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

1. Warranty; I will try to register it on Monday when Samsung Korea / US is open.

2. Sorry, I have not tested battery life further, other than briefly several weeks ago as noted; been running mostly plugged in, so far at least...

3. Bluetooth 'fix' is to go to Device Manager, go to 'Bluetooth', drill down to 'Intel Wireless Bluetooth', right click and select 'Properties', then go to Power Management' and uncheck the box 'allow Windows to turn off this device to save power'.
    I had tried this same fix previously (once) and the fix was not working initially, from what I recall. There was a BT driver update since then though, so maybe having both the updated driver and the above setting did the trick.
    The above fix is working flawlessly; I would have turned off the above setting on my Flex even sooner, but on my HP Elitebook Bluetooth works flawlessly even with the option checked! (Although I use hibernate more than sleep on that one - have not set my Flex to auto hibernate yet).
    Anyway, hopefully long term Samsung and / or Intel will fix this for the Flex so I do not need to disable that power management setting...

9. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

I tested it with part of a movie today; in a quiet room with no background noise, I would want to keep it around 55 - 60% or so to have a reasonable volume (maybe temporarily would want it higher for action / surround sound scenes). That is with Boom 3D enabled and it is not especially loud! (depends on the scene)!!
    With Boom 3D turned off, I have volume at 75% to ~ match the 60% with Boom 3D enabled!
    The movie I used for testing today is 'Inside Man' (popped up on screen when I opened Netflix, so tested with that).

So yes, the Flex's audio is disappointingly weak, despite the AKG tuning; my Elitebook (wife is using it since I got the Flex) leaves the Flex's sound system completely in the dust. The latter is admittedly louder than any other system I have tried in the 15.6" laptop class); suspect some gaming laptops might be up there.
    So I would definitely recommend Boom 3D with the Flex (thanks again to Steve for the idea!). Get it when it is on sale; paid only $12 on sale.
    Wondering now if there are even better (louder) options than Boom 3D...

fishdavis likes this.
  10. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Ahh, I think that's the same fix I applied to the Galaxy Book 12. It's much better now although my Pebble mouse is sometimes a bit weird. I think my Book 12 is on the edge of dying since the screen sometimes goes white (I dropped it, so it's my fault)… Time to bite the bullet and order the Flex from S Korea I suppose!

The sound level doesn't really bother me since I almost never watch anything on my laptop without headphones, although it's good to know that Boom 3D makes it way louder if necessary. It may come in handy for presentations and so on.

Well, your experiences with the machine have been very useful! Thanks for the info! Think I will end up ordering it, hopefully it arrives in good order. Not looking forward to paying duties on it in Canada...

njweb likes this.