Galaxy Book Flex 5G - 11th gen CPU, 2.7 lbs, S-Pen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Sep 2, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    HeavyHanded and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Don't know that I want any more two-in-ones at this point, even if they are Wacom EMR. How's that for down in the mouth? I seem to break EVERYTHING except my GB12 and my iPP11 (which is going to become my main note taking device).

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I have good news for you. This device is made by the same company that made that indestructible GB12! :D

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So was the Galaxy Book Flex...:(

JoeS likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Shame this lacks OLED like the Chromebook variant of this.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is a QLED display which is superb in all ways and the only thing it gives up is 4K versus 1080p, but in gamut, linearity and dynamic range it's right there with it.

The majority can't see a difference between 4k and 1080p at that display size and standard viewing distance.

And QLED is a lot more power efficient

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Did Samsung confirm this separately with you guys? The press release does not mention QLED:

(GizmoChina)
    "Unlike the original Galaxy Book Flex, the new 5G model does not seem to feature QLED display. In the press release, Samsung merely mentions it to sport a 13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 108 pixels) touch screen panel."

Just rewatching Lisa's review of the first-gen Flex (she's all praises, and she ain't easy on displays!), the QLED panel really was the star feature of the Flex line:

Praying they kept in for the new Tiger Lake variants.

8. desertlap

@Marty Now you have me wondering. The initial blurbs we got said QLED, but none of the blogs specifically mention it. Cant tell at this point if that's just an oversight in the PR release Samsung sent out, or they reversed and went with a conventional LCD. I have an email in to Samsung....

PS: if they did cut the QLEDin favor of standard LCD to shave a few bucks off the cost , that's just stupid...

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm surprised they Tiger Lake updated the Flex already, since the Flex only got released a few months ago.

Yuck about the Grey Color, I hope they offer the Tiger Lake model in the same Royal Blue.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. desertlap

So this sucks...This specific version of the Flex is coming with a standard LCD, not QLED.
    The issue apparently is an interference issue between the 5g modem and the controller specific to QLED displays.

The reason I doesn't happen in the ARM version is that modem is a separate motherboard part versus integrated in the core chip set in with ARM version :(

Marty, bloodycape and JoeS like this.