GALAXY BOOK FLEX 2 or... A Laptop plus GALAXY TabS?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by naZ84hEhV-, May 23, 2021.

1. naZ84hEhV-

naZ84hEhV- Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx for such a thorough explanation, really useful.
    And...
    just something completely off the subject, i think we have talked before in other forum...
    Given this post you would probably know what i am talking about...
    if not, then i mistaken you for someone else. sorry for that XD

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, just now I see this post of you. It depends on whether you do CPU or GPU rendering (eg Blender offers both options). Gpu rendering tends to be quicker but you probably want to check the video RAM of the MX450 (2 gb or 4 gb?, not this is different than the 16 gb RAM in the laptop).
    I am guessing since you need the pen you do sculpture work? Personally on my laptop (15 inch, i7-8550u & MX150) I can do rendering but its not super fast (I get some coffee in the meantime :D). I can (eg in Blender) turn on rendering and change materials or such but the laptop will make some noise. Now I read that the MX450 is about 30% slower than the nvidia 1650 (so MX450 and nvidia 1050 seem to offer similar performance). I think the 1050 is about twice as fast as my MX150. A rough guess is that the Iris Xe G7 within the Intel cpu matches my MX150.
    CPU wise the difference with my i7-8550u is definitely smaller, except for maybe single core performance. If you want I can do some quick render or sculptering tests for you (I only have Blender though).

3. naZ84hEhV-

Thx for the info and test offering, some tests would be indeed very good but i think i roughly know what the results would be like.
    Your guess is almost correct, "my heavy work" is NPR shading on some custome models, the pen is there mainly for drawing different things, sometime providing sculpture support.
    Since i can only produce ****ty graphic shader codes, the workload is so heavy that i am not expecting Flex or similiar laptops can take it. It is good to know that rendering is possible though.

4. naZ84hEhV-

After all these reading i think i am going Plan B.
    Flex2 regarding the spec would be a really luxury choice for me.
    (I guess i am not the target audience)
    Considering my coding-invloved workflow, i will go for the combination of TabS7+ and R7 5800.
    Once i laid my hands on them, i would go back with a review.

Meanwhile, if anyone have any suggestion, do please post them.
    Maybe i will change my mind in the last second XD.

5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, cool work. From this point of perspective I think point B or a mobile desktop is indeed the best choice. I have no experience with desktop digitizers (Dell Canvas maybe?) but am happy with my mini-itx desktop (rather easy to move around). You can put in a beefy gpu and cpu. You may need to go low profile with the gpu and cooler if you go below a certain height though (would still allow for good midrange gpu's). Lots of options and not too expensive.

naZ84hEhV- likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd not checked in with the state of tethering Android stuff to the PC in a while.

Superdisplay seemed kind of neat. -I tried it out and... it works! (Well, sort of worked; my tablet is a bit of a mess and it kept telling me it wasn't able to register the copy I had and kept pestering me with nag popups, but otherwise, it seemed to do what it promised. Though, the pen button didn't bring up context menus, I noticed, but that may be something you can tweak.)

Also.., on my little 9" Samsung Android (A Galaxy something or other, with pen), it's a very small screen. CSP was super-cramped and basically unusable.

It'll be better on a 12.4" screen, plus maybe you can tweak the display settings to get the most out of that super-high tablet resolution.

Though, I betcha after a time, you'll be hankering for a larger screen to work on. Resolution past a certain point isn't as important, I find, as physical inches.

My portable is exactly 15" (at 1080p) and it's been quite workable. I certainly wouldn't say "No" to a 15.6" screen; that extra .6" would be a noticeable upgrade, and I sure liked the 15.6" Dell I was using for a while for its size. -But I haven't felt much pressure to pursue that extra space. I mostly don't think about it or feel terribly cramped when I'm using the 15". -Not like how I did back when I was on a 12" 4:3 screen, long, long ago!

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Cheers!

daddyfish and naZ84hEhV- like this.
  7. jedah

jedah Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you using Blender for 3D rendering? Maybe another point to sweeten Plan A is to use cloud computing for your more heavy lifting? I tried Google Colab for a Blender Cycles render, and although it's not as fast as the latest gpus, it was about twice as fast (if not faster) than my current 2017 Spectre x360 igpu. Below is the tutorial I used.

I've also been thinking about using 1 vs 2 devices and still haven't decided. MPP on my 2017 Spectre stinks for solid ink lines, but it's okay for painting and sketching for me. So, I bring my iPad when I need to ink, but leave it home otherwise. Otherwise, when I'm at home I use an XP-Pen Deco. I haven't found a laptop that I really want yet to replace this combo.

naZ84hEhV- likes this.
  8. naZ84hEhV-

Thx for the work around. I use Blender to create models, but rendering is done via Unreal.
    It is still a good ideo to go cloud. I should consider setup a server in my lab, then i can use it anywhere i go.

9. AnandSr

AnandSr Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tested if the Microsoft wintab driver works on the 360 pros? Wanted to see if it did since have not had any luck on Samsung notebook 9 pen, galaxy flexes. It only seems to work on the old galaxy book 12 and the 2017notbeook 9 ones. Thanks in advance

10. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm using Super Display with a 2014 note 10.1 as my main drawing tablet, and it had served me well so far. I had tried out many Chinese EMR alternative, and I have to say, Wacom EMR is still the best in term of precision, and accuracy too if it's calibrated in Samsung's standard. For best pen experience, you wouldn't go wrong with either choice.

In my case, there is noticable lag when sketching fast with super display ( most noticeable when I try to sketch a quick thumbnail or form when brainstorming for idea). I have no issue with the speed when doing detailed sketch, drawing lines or coloring however. The precision of Wacom EMR, high res display and smart zooming in Super Display make up for the size, and I assume it would be even better on a 12.4" screen.
    Also do note that my pc is a very outdated PC with intel HD graphics, the connection is USB 2.0, the Android tab in question is also outdated, and the program warned that my CPU can't support full 60hz display frequency.

From what I can see, the tab S7+ has a 120hz display with USB-C 3.1. pairing it with a beefy laptop with an USB 3.1 cable could enable 120hz mode in Super Display. Maybe you could ask someone with a similar rig to know what you can expect in pen speed in that mode