GALAXY BOOK FLEX 2 or... A Laptop plus GALAXY TabS?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by naZ84hEhV-, May 23, 2021.

1. naZ84hEhV-

naZ84hEhV- Pen Pal - Newbie

So i have around 2000 bucks to spend on some devices, i would like to have a (combination of) device(s) that provide some portable drawing capability.
    My current plans are as following:

Plan A: the 15 inches version of Galaxy Book Flex 2, the one with MX450.
    It has a screen that is big enough for drawing, providing enough drawing space.
    Most of the spec is ok, but the CPU...the top one in all options is a i7-1165g7, which is... lets say not that good,
    especially compared to ZEN3 ones. I was planning to extract as many years as possible from this pruchase,
    so this 4c8t 1165 is really putting me off.

So here comes the Plan B: Some R7-5800 Lenovo laptop plus a Galaxy Tabs+ 7
    The biggest merits are that R7-5800 is powerful enough and the combination is probably cheaper than a Flex2.
    The drawbacks are... well i will have to carry 2 devices, but this also means that i will have 2 devices, though i have a cheap iPad already.

So i am wondering, if i use Super Display or VirtualTablet to turn my TabS into some kinds of drawing tablet,
    how dose the overall performence (latency, precision, pressure, etc.) compare to a Flex 2's?
    I notice in a Tabs+ 7 Versus Flex2 video, the latency of Flex2 in Samsung Note app is larger than TabS+ 7.
    Is this the same in other professional apps like CSP and Krita?

How dose it feel like to draw on a TabS or Flex2, i have a PTH860, will the experience be to much inferior compare to it?
    Thx in advance.

2. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

Super display is not so perfect to connect PC, it will reduce the pen sampling rate, the original s-pen using 360hz pen sampling will reduce a lot, that is to say, the pen delay will increase. Super display streaming image quality is acceptable.
    Compared with propen2 on pth860, the performance of each pen of UD EMR technology is different. The closest pen of UD EMR 2.0 is HP zbook x2 pen. It has the similar appearance and the same low initial activation force, and it feels very similar
    created a thread about Wacom EMR pen:http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/2021-wacom-emr-pen-selection-ranking.75884/

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For your consideration...

Plan C: A desk at home with some combo of computer and digitizer. It doesn't take much to drive a Cintiq or one of the less expensive alternatives; I'm using an old laptop from eBay which cost under $400. It does everything I need, including video editing.

The reason I bring up this option is that I've always found that for drawing, while being portable is really great, I find I do my best work at home in a controlled studio environment on a big board.

So.., fixed prime studio first, portability second. -Plus, with a good desk top drawing tablet, you'll get a lot of reliable years out of it and you can easily upgrade your computer as needed. If you want to upgrade something like a Flex, (or if it dies on you), you're stuck having to replace the whole show.

Otherwise... If I was exclusively looking for a portable solution, I'd go with the Flex. Samsung does a great job (both their touch and pen input are absolutely top shelf) and it's within your price range -and cheaper than a comparable Cintiq. If you're not doing any 3D gaming or animation, then it's plenty powerful.

Just my two-cents!

It's nice to have a $2000 budget for this kind of thing. It gives you real options!

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. naZ84hEhV-

So the performance of different EMR devices are highly connected to the pen itself? Not the screen or the magnetic layer of the device?
    Thanks for that thread.

5. naZ84hEhV-

Damn, i was writing my reply and i accidently kicked out the power, and it killed everything i wrote. XD
    So in short, i already have the plan C with a combination of MSI PC and PTH860.
    However, my old laptop was dead, since i am going to buy a laptop, why not the drawing-capable ones?
    That is why i am here.

FLEX2 is a very "emotional choice" for me, it was on my list weeks ago when i started looking around for options.
    The only thing worries me is the CPU.
    For less than 1000 bucks, i can get something much more powerful, which means more service years, though at the cost of the Spen.
    You also mentioned the upgrading capability, i think we are considering the same thing here.
    If it lasts long enough, i can do a replace upgrade, but 2-3 years? I think i am expecting more of it. : (

I do most of my heavy work (rendering 3d models) on that MSI PC, so i am supposed to not to worry about the performance of my laptop,
    but it is hard to ignore such obvious performance drawback. 4C8T 1165, i doubt it can manage some heavy OFFICE work...

Anyway, thx for your reply, i will bear it in mind and keep looking into "what i really want".

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, the cpu is not that bad though. Yeah multicore could be better but I doubt it cannot handle your drawing workflow / drawing software. Especially single core performance is better than Ryzen u series and iirc performance on battery life tend to be better too. The igpu (Iris XTE) is better too but you already have the MX450 of course (though the Iris XTE might still help to conserve battery life on the go while still offering good graphics power).

7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'm mostly drawing and 3D modeling/animation, so I'd like that unicorn of a 'work from everywhere' setup with strong GPU with EMR.

I first wish Samsung would update the Notebook 9, with a 20XX Nvidia GPU specifically for creative work.

I don't find the Flex2 to be a good value, given it's high price and underpowered GPU options like the MX450 or Iris. So I've gone the Ryzen route with SuperDisplay.

In regards to SuperDisplay latency, I find if I scribble fast, I can detect lag. But in my normal usage, I draw like a calligrapher( for lack of better description), so I personally don't perceive lag in my normal usage.

With my current setup of a Gaming laptop and Tab6 with Superdisplay:
    Cons:
    - Having to bring two devices, and keeping them charged.
    Pros:
    - Duel display
    - I can lay the tablet down flat to draw on, which is my personal preference. I've found I don't prefer flipping a screen 360 or drawing on an upright hinged display.
    - I feel like my 'future proofing' is parted out. Gaming laptops I think aren't too terribly expensive, and I'm fine running last year's models. I also don't feel like you need the latest and greatest Samsung tab to effectively run Superdisplay. That's basically the only app I run on it, anyway.

Ideal upgrade... I'd like to try to lighten and make the setup more portable. So perhaps a Razer 13" (1" smaller, 1 lb lighter) with Fold 3 (assuming it will have an S-pen). Considering I bring my phone with me no matter what, I'm willing to trade drawing real estate for convenience.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. naZ84hEhV-

Yeah, it is a "ok" cpu, that why it is so hard for me to make a choice.
    The trade off is rather subtle in different plans... : (

9. naZ84hEhV-

Thx for the review of SuperDisplay and so.
    I really need these info.

10. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the Initial Activation Force (IAF) ?

Wacom’s pressure sensor has long been the best in the industry. Their current offerings can sense pressure as low as 1 gram, allowing you to really feather in light strokes.

Wacom provides third-party consumer electronics manufacturers with UD EMR technology. Their wacom digitizers are the same, but the number of buttons and whether the tail of the pen supports erasers are different, and the pressure sensor of the pen is also different.

This should be attributed to the authorization fee given by the manufacturer to wacom. In the high-end drawing equipment (HP zbook X2, Acer conceptd), the hardware of pen will be better.

The most obvious change of pressure sensor is that the best 1g initial activation force pen can write ink with very little force, the pressure sensing value starts at 0.1%, and it has more delicate pressure sensing level control.

For example The original s-pen of Galaxy Tab S7 has a higher initial activation force, which requires more power to write ink. Moreover, the minimum pressure sensing value jumps to more than 18%. You can hardly draw thin lines with a large brush.

daddyfish and naZ84hEhV- like this.