Galaxy Book Flex 15.6 (Korean 16GB + nVidia edition) - New BIOS P12AJC?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by njweb, Feb 8, 2021.

1. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

I received a notification for my Korean edition Galaxy Book Flex of a new BIOS update available.
    BIOS version is P12AJC
    There are no release notes included and it just says "improves system stability" with no mention of what is being fixed / updated / improved.

Has anyone else seen and tried this BIOS update for their Flex and / or have any idea what is addresses?

My Flex is working great, so I would like to know what this update includes to see if it even makes sense to take the risk of trying it out.
    I do notice that the rear portion of the top deck - area located between the keyboard and back where it connects to the lid / screen - .gets very hot when the nVidia MX250 GPU is running (as opposed to when only Intel Iris graphics engine is running).

If this BIOS update isn't a security update or an update to keep it from running hot when the MX250 is in use, then it may not be worth the risk of updating the laptop...

2. Qyygle

Qyygle Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no idea if my model is applicable, since I've frankensteined together a US model Flex chassis (i7, 12GB ram) with the internals of what appeared to be either a review model, or some other mysterious model which had the MX250 and a US keyboard I found on ebay...
    With the latest updates installed after my hack job though, it does seem that I'm running the P12AJC bios. Haven't really noticed any change in stability, aside from the esc key not working with FN lock on now. It's hard to tell if this is related to the BIOS or my mangling of the insides, or maybe weird firmware quirks resulting from combining two machines.

My weird model aside, it's generally recommended to do bios updates. If you make sure you're plugged in and charged while doing so, there're rarely issues with updating. Stability aside, sometimes they include security fixes and the like, especially concerning Intel chips.

I don't think the MX250's temps will change, unless they downgraded the TDP with the update. The exhaust fans for the combined CPU/GPU heatsink are right at the rear deck so getting hot there when the gpu is running is normal. It's just more heat that needs to be dissipated.

Attached Files:

thatcomicsguy and njweb like this.
  3. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot! Finally one person who has this BIOS. Appreciate the feedback regarding the temps as well.
    Interesting regarding the keyboard. Ironically the extra keyboard characters being a distraction was my concern when I first got it, but I quickly got used to them. In fact, I never even notice the extra Korean characters anymore... My brain has gotten used to focusing on just the English characters. Only took a week or so to get used to it, if I recall correctly (do not recall exactly how long it took since it has been such a while - I got it back in May 2020).

Yes, I generally like to do BIOS updates, especially if they have legitimate stability updates that will benefit me and / or contain security updates.
    In this case, it appears to be just the former, but with no indication of what stability issues, so it might literally be useless to me (I have not had any stability issues with it).
    So, given the above and the inherent risk associated with any BIOS update (would hate to risk an unrecoverable system for no actual benefit, I wanted to hence first try to get some specifics to see if it made sense or not to perform this particular update).
    Lenovo had one BIOS option a few years ago on their X1 Extreme laptop which, which while an option in the BIOS and not an update like this Samsung scenario, rendered systems an unrecoverable mess. While unlikely, especially if properly / extensively tested prior to distribution, a BIOS update could also have a bug and render systems inoperable, so I like to have some feedback from others, like you. :)

A google search on this particular BIOS only returns this thread (via various links), so there is no other feedback, aside from yours:
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS856US856&sxsrf=ALeKk011J8-dEwF_M-kDQIg9zUBfK1uagg:1613597139835&ei=04ktYNC2Mpyx5NoP3dGbiA4&q=P12AJC+samsung&oq=P12AJC+samsung&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgjEK4CECc6BQghEKABOgUIIRCrAjoHCCEQChCgAVCJMFiPOGCDPWgBcAB4AIABvgGIAfoHkgEDMy42mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiQ7NHi7fHuAhWcGFkFHd3oBuEQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

Thanks again!
    When I get a chance, let me ask Samsung via email for some additional details to what 'stability' they are referring.