Galaxy Book 2 and Clip Studio Paint

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dweam, Feb 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

I own a Galaxy Book 12, which I do most of my personal and professional artwork on at this point. I have no problem using Clip Studio Paint with this device, even with the version with only 4gb of RAM. However there are a few things about the form factor of the Book 12 that is a bit annoying and the Book 2 seems to have addressed them. It has a built in stand, and a better form factor for the keyboard cover, etc. Along with some quality of life improvements like a finger print reader, which seems handy. Apparently it gets excellent battery life due to its ARM processor but there in lies the question for me:

Can it run Clip Studio as well as the book 12?

I probably won't rush to buy one, or replace my book 12 any time soon. But I could see myself switching if the price drops, or if they continue to improve this line of products. The thought of having massive battery life for drawing on the go seems very appealing, but I worry that it wouldn't be able to meet the minimal demands of CSP.

If there are anyone on here is an artist who owns one of these, please let me know what your experience with it has been like.

Given all I plan to use the device for is drawing, word processing, internet and media; if it can run CSP as well as the Book 12, then I think it would suit my needs just fine.

wytn likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

No way.
    I doubt it even reaches the performance of the M3 cpu of the Galaxy Book 10.6 when it comes to drawing.
    My opinion? Stick to the first gen.

3. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried it or are you just speculating? The M3 CPU on the Surface pro 4 ran CSP fine as well when I got to personally test it. I also got to test an M3 Lenovo Miix 700 for a while and that also could run CSP fine.

I just have no idea how big a hit the ARM processor would be from there.

Also I guess my question was a bit off, I don't doubt that the ARM processor would run it worse, but would it run it without difficulty.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I can't say for sure, but I'd say don't get your hopes up. The pen lag of a pretty unambitious brush in Microsoft's own UWP app "Fresh Paint" is so large that I can basically make a triangle by drawing fast circles.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is one thing I've been wondering myself. No interest in an AMR 12-incher myself.....but if they released 10-incher......how well it runs Clip Studio will make or break any interest I have in it.

I have the m3 10.6 Book gen 1......its runs Clip Studio pretty perfectly. Easily as well as more powerful core i5 devices. And even on weaker Atom platforms.....like the Asus Note 8, Clip Studio can be quite generous on weaker hardware....that being said how it runs via Emulation Windows on ARM.....that could be ugly. There's no way to run it natively on Windows S mode, so you would have to go Windows Pro and lose some of the battery life benefit.

However.....there would be one drawback with the Book 2 over the Book 1. Although I too much prefer the detachable keyboard/kickstand combination over the oragami cover.......Samsung kind of royally messed up the Book 2 by incorporating really strong magnets into the device. The Book 1 had magnets in it as well...but these are way stronger....to the point where it actually interferes with pen performance....particularity on the bottom of screen which is a mess....in part because of the built in magnet into the bottom bezel to accommodate the keyboard cover angle. Where as the Book gen 1 had quite literally a perfect implementation of EMR tech....the Book gen 2 is anything but.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

The bit about the magnets sounds like a real deal breaker for me then.