Galaxy Book 12: unresponsive touchscreen

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Hydraulic Potato, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Hydraulic Potato

Hydraulic Potato Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I recently bought a Galaxy Book 12. The touchscreen is pretty unresponsive compared to my 4 year old laptop. There is a lag between when the finger touches the screen and when the computer reacts. Often, if tapping in quick succession, the touchscreen will miss touches. These issues are most noticeable when using the onscreen keyboard. Some taps will not be registered or when swiping, the trail will lag behind or not be very accurate. The pen works fine.

Has anyone else encountered these issues or found a fix? I noticed that Samsung's touchscreen drivers are at version 1.0.0.0, which means they never released any bugfixes. Are there any alternative drivers, perhaps from Notebook 9 Pro that would perform better?

Thanks.

2. Hydraulic Potato

Okay, looks like the issue only happens when in tablet mode. Hiding the icons on the taskbar (in tablet mode) makes it worse. :/

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Huh. Interesting problem, I've never heard of this. Except once: yesterday my Surface Go was slow / unresponsive to touch. I found myself pressing hard and slowly on the touch keyboard. Weird, I have never in my life seen this, and today I see your post. Probably something different, still pretty coincidental!

Unrelated, have you cleaned the screen? Sometimes a dirty screen gives problems with touch response.

4. Hydraulic Potato

Yes, my screen is pretty clean. And the difference between the modes is pretty noticeable, regardless. :/

I did notice that when in desktop mode, the Desktop Window Manager process constantly uses between 1-2% CPU. When in tablet mode, it goes down to 0-1%, often it's 0. So maybe it is trying to do some overly aggressive optimization in tablet mode. The UI also feels a bit slower otherwise (not just touch response).

It doesn't happen on my other laptop, so it may be a driver. There has to be a way to debug this, but I'm not very familiar with internal workings of Windows. Anyone have any ideas to find the culprit?