Galaxy Book 12 or Surface Pro (2017) i5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manuelcalavera, Aug 26, 2017.

1. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

From videos I've seen and SP3 experience, I can say writing on nSP is not good. I dont know how you take notes, but I do it very slowly, with care and in details. And in n-trig slow lines make the experience very bad.

Have you seen these (sorry I needed to repeat):

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I too actually prefer the keyboard itself on my 10-inch Galaxy Book over my Pro 4 Type cover....I loved how "Springy" the keys feel. But form factor overall I can't stand the origami set up.

I just came back from 3 weeks galavanting around the Balkan region of Europe (Kosovo, Albania, Bulgaria, etc)......and for general travel use.....I really wished I brought my Pro 3 with me instead. I didn't end up doing much if any art, and the form factor makes such a world of difference. Particular on some of the long haul Buses I had to endure (FYI, 10 Hour overnight Bus from Trikala Greece to Tirana Albania was more like a roller coaster ride) .....that Origamai cover......really was unfortunate.....I can't even count just how many times my Book Dislodged from it......I'm shocked my book itself actually didn't crack or break. There were so many scenarios where my Pro 3's kickstand would have worked perfectly, but the Books Origamai cover just proved too much of a liability.

And most of my usage of the Book 10.6 was really just in my hotel rooms....which had small desks and coupled with my general tiredness of walking around the whole day.....I found myself always using it on my bed......which again is another huge weakness for the Origami cover...since it doesn't work nearly as well if its not on a hard/flat surface....especially the trackpad.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I have been waiting for the opportunity to share what I consider one of my greatest "finds" in years and this is the perfect context! Sorry, but I am known on this forum for being horribly long-winded and I really want to tell this story, but if you just want to see the product I'm highly recommending to take care of lap-typing with an SP and typing on a non-level or slippery hard surface with an SP just click on this link !

For the story: So, I have owned SP3s and SP4s and have generally felt the way that the consensus seems to feel here - great product in many ways, issues with note taking/ntrig and using it on lap or non-level or slippery surface. When I "gifted" my SP4 to my wife she said she loved it but had the aforementioned problems. She said: "surely by now someone has made a case that enables you to use such a hugely popular device as a Surface on your lap; it doesn't take a feat of engineering genius!!!" I replied: yeah, you'd really think so, but to this day on every consumer and professional forum/review I have ever read the constant drone is how poor the Surface is on your lap and never have I seen a product made to address it. So she, a total tech novice, went on online and spent 3 minutes surfing and showed me this case on Amazon !

Well, we now own 3 of them, 2 for the SP3s and one for the SP4 (the one I have linked is, I think, the one made for the SP 2017, but they have them for all Surface models.) My friends, while it's not like having a conventional laptop, but this case absolutely enables you to type with the various SP Type Covers on your lap and I find it pretty much as good as, say, the Surface Laptop for typing on your lap. Which is to say, it's never that comfortable to type for long with any notebook computer on your lap because it's an ergonomically crummy position, but within the limitations of the Type Covers themselves (and I find the SP4 version to be quite easy to get used to) this cover will make any SP a completely serviceable lap-typing machine! And we have owned them for 2 months now so I can even vouch for their quality - which you'd be right to wonder about given they cost, like, $30!! Note: neither the text nor even the pictures in the Amazon product page really depict how well this case works with the type cover extended. In fact, the pictures make it look like there isn't really enough "runway" to rest the type cover on, on your lap, for this to work.

Also, you would be right to wonder, "is the part that the TC rests on rigid enough to work on your lap?" Again, this is not what I would call the perfect design for the need, but it absolutely gets the job done fine. It's long enough and sturdy enough to support the TC on your lap, though I don't think the pictures really show that. (Amazingly, I don't think the case maker realizes what the major selling feature of their product is!)

The moral of the story is suited to consumers and entrepreneurs alike: just because there appears to be a crying need for a simple-to-make accessory greatly improve the utility (and protect) a high-volume device doesn't mean:

1) That it hasn't existed for a while, but just never gotten the promotion needed for it to become a mainstream product

2) That there may not be a business opportunity to either invent the mousetrap or to improve upon it and market the heck out of it (which should also mean that numerous accessory mfrs should have already improved it x100 from the first one made by these guys!)

That this product has existed for a while and responds pretty well to a need universally bemoaned by SP owners and would-be owners, and gets very favorable reviews from a few thousand on Amazon, but has never really caught on nor, considering many now pay $1,500 - $2,000 for SPs that are UNREPAIRABLE if dropped or even jostled too hard and not only do those owners need the device protection and utility of using SPs on their laps that these $30 marvels provide (no, they are not what you would call "lookers," but they're certainly not embarrassing looking), but by now Tumi and other high end accessory mfrs should be making really classy looking, high quality version of this kind of case/cover/lap-typing accessory. In fact, I think the awesome industrial design of the SP line is a significant part of its appeal. Like a case on a flagship metal and glass smartphone, it's a shame to "uglify" the SP with a case like the one I appear to be hawking here (no economic interest!). Thus, someone needs to make a much nicer version. At a recent visit to an MS store I found there is a plastic-y looking product they sell made by a third party accessory maker, but only for the SP 2017, and it really isn't very nice looking for $60.

Oh, and a last point, all credit also to my wife: when using an SP on an airplane tray table or even on a lap-desk, which are usually not deep enough to hold the SP with kickstand extended and Type Cover deployed, this case makes such cramped spaces workable, if not wonderful.

Ok, I think I've gotten it all off my chest. Does this help the OP at all? Anyone??

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  4. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes I've seen them, and no, I have no problem taking written notes. Maybe I'm not writing slow enough... who knows. I can't understand why someone would write really slowly when taking notes though. My notes on the nSP look the same as if I wrote on paper, except better because I can erase something more easily if I need to correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. manuelcalavera

Yes. It really depends on how you write. Also, there are some languages that you need to write some part of it slowly.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SP, but from what I see, it is a hard decision for me.
    @convergent would you please make a close up video of your note taking?

6. manuelcalavera

It is my second day that I use GB12. Some impressions;

- Oh I miss Surface Cover Keyboard. I now think of Type Cover as a solid product. GB12's keyboard keeps disconnecting when you hold GB12. And most of the times, when I start typing after a while, it misses some words. Not sure if it is that I've been using Surface Type Cover for 3 years or it just misses the words. AND GB12 keyboard feels like a cheap plastic which I think it is made of. AND I can type with Type Cover in all positions, all angles. Not possible to do so with GB12's keyboard.
    - Oh I love Wacom EMR on GB12. Very reliable. I wish I could remove the pen cursor. But this is I wanted really and I can't stand Surface pen issues.
    - GB12 display is amazing. The colors are vivid.
    - Although the GB12 itself (without keyboard) is very thin, Surface Pro feels more compact because of the Type Cover and the kickstand.
    - I hate #donglelife just to connect a hard drive or usb thumb drive
    - Staedtler Noris Digital pen has more delay in comparison with the default pen.

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Not having any problems w/ my type cover --- check the connections / contacts? See if Samsung will do a swap? I'd think that's a hardware fault.

Agree on the EMR making any other (reasonable) problems worth putting up w/ and the display being gorgeous.

Interesting point about the keyboard cover bulking up the machine --- I was feeling much the same way, and actually sort of miss the Origami case for my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10

Agree about the dongle issue. Still looking for a suitable flash drive to carry, micro-SD card reader, and a mouse w/ a USB-C connector (see http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/mouse-w-usb-c-connector.72964/#post-507468 )

I'm not seeing any sort of delay --- what apps are folks having that problem with?

8. manuelcalavera

I think the magnets are not that sticky like Surface's.

Regarding the keyboard, it covers both front and back, but Surface only covers the front of the device.

I think someone was also with me about Staedtler being a little slower in GB thread. But for example in Sketchpad it is very obvious (relatively obvious of course)

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't get a delay there --- wonder if there are different batches of the pens or if it's caused by some other software or setting.