Galaxy Book 12 or Surface Pro (2017) i5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manuelcalavera, Aug 26, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know you have a very different tech market being in the middle east, but I would definitely take a look at the Acer Switch 7 coming out in a few months and see if its something you can get your hands on. Its got a USB 3 type A and USB C so you won't be in doggle hell as with the Galaxy Book, and its got the same EMR Pen tech in the Galaxy Book, so it should offer the same great pen performance, but with the Surface Pro Kickstand/Type cover form factor which is way way way better then origami/cover crap Samsung came up with the Galaxy Book. Granted lord knows just how well the 8th gen quad core i5/i7, with discrete graphics, and liquid cooling is going to actually function in a Surface Pro form factor (Skylake woes all over again)......but the nSP and Galaxy Book already look dated in comparison to the Switch.

manuelcalavera likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

In all honesty, I prefer the overall feel of the origami cover compared to the type cover.
    I don't know, it might just be the tactile feel or simply the aesthetic of it when it's closed and I'm taking it with me.
    Even if I know the kickstand is a better option. (Mind me, a better option when the surface isn't placed on a slippery surface: in that case it's useless)

manuelcalavera and WillAdams like this.
  3. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Except the size and weight, I think it is the dream device. I hope there was a 12" of it out there but it is not. Hope it gives 9+ battery life.

How is that possible @Azzart? :D

4. Azzart

It’s more stylish. :cool:

No seriuosly, the truth is I rarely need a keyboard to type.
    With the Galaxy Book I keep it swept under the tablet, ready for when I need it.
    With the Surface I kept the keyboard always detached, usually in its sleeve. And when I used the Surface on the desk I always had to put something under it because the minimum push of my hand on the screen makes it slide back on the desk. The kickstand would definitely benefit some rubbery lining.

5. manuelcalavera

Is the fan always make noises as they say?
    As TheVerge writes:

Good Stuff:
    • Sharp, vibrant display
    • Comfortable, backlit keyboard
    • Snappy performance
    Bad Stuff:
    • Awkward to use on a lap
    • Fans that never shut off
    • Middling battery life

6. Azzart

The fan is more or less always on, even if I don’t usually notice it. Sometimes I have to put my ear near the vent grid to know if it’s running or not, like when I close the lid and I want to make sure it goes into sleep.
    Generally the Surface Pro i7 is quieter.

7. manuelcalavera

Then it is not good.

8. Azzart

if you want something completely silent, than the Surface Pro i5 being fanless is the only choice, yes.
    I'm fine with the Book: I'm currently writing this message on it after doing some search on the web and sending out an email, at home with no music or tv in the background and I can't hear the fan, even if I know it's there running.
    The Surface Pro 3 i5 in comparison was much more noisy.

9. manuelcalavera

For me having "note taking" as a serious daily task, Surface Pro, even the new one, won't be any good. Too many issues with new pen are reported and filmed.

10. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Just to clarify, I have not really heard anyone reporting big pen problems while note taking, its mostly artist that need very precise control. And it also seems to vary by body chemistry (or something similar) as some people don't have the problem and others have it badly. I use the nSP for note taking daily (that's why I bought it) and the only problems I've had have nothing to do with the inking. For example, OneNote App has suddenly developed a problem where I sometimes can't type into a page, but ironically inking is fine.