Galaxy Book 12 or Surface Pro (2017) i5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manuelcalavera, Aug 26, 2017.

1. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello everyone,

I know this sounds odd but since I am living in middle east, it is not possible for me to go to a best buy and check both of them out. The ones available here, do not have nSP at least. So I should order one AND STICK TO IT or I should leave the country and get one and come back lol.

So, these are my concerns:

- Galaxy Book 12 has fan (can't believe after nSP i5 this is a flaw!)
    - Galaxy Book 12 means dongle life and since I use usb drives and all time of usb devices all the time this is very bad

on the other hand

- nSP still has the issues of writing which SP3 had. Jitter and drifting with no pattern. This is the reason I have never used SP3 pen since 3 years ago.

I have to buy one of these soon so it would help me a lot if you collaborate.

Thanks everyone,

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

What is your usage scenario. What is your tablet background....it would still probably be useful to answer some of the questions from the What tablet pc should I buy questionnaire to help us help you narrow things down.

manuelcalavera likes this.
  3. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

When I was Wacom user, I could always use my tablet as a note taking device but with N-trig on Surface Pro 3 that habit went away but I prefer to start note taking again.

- What is your budget?
    Doesn't matter

- What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches
    - How many hours battery life do you require?
    More than 8 (It is my main working device) which makes both proper.

- What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    I need to work on some reports and emails (read/write), take some notes, do some light graphic tasks,

- What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Office and mostly OneNote
    Illustrator

- Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Yes

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Your choice is a real dilemma. IMO, The nSP is the better device, with far greater battery life and fanless design. The Surface has a kickstand and a superior keyboard.

But, the GB's EMR pen is a quantum better than the Surface's pen and it seems like MS has not yet worked the bugs out of the new technology yet. Plus, the AMLOED display on the GB12 is beautiful and a cut above the Surface display.

For an artist, I can see how the GB 12 may be the better choice. Particularly the LTE version, but as a note-taker looking for a laptop replacement, I would lean toward the Surface.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would go for the Galaxy Book just for not risking to enter the Surface replacement hell. :D

WillAdams likes this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

I picked the Galaxy Book 12 for:

- the AMOLED which is as close to daylight-viewable as we're likely to ever get again
    - EMR
    - thin, light stylus option (Staedtler Norris Digital Stylus)

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Others have more insight than I do but I will add that when I replaced my SP3 pen with the SP4 version note taking on my SP3 improved dramatically. That doesnt take away my worst criticism of the SP - "replacement hell," as noted by others, bit I don't know if the GB is any more repaiable. Given that you live in a technology-deprived region, if I were you I would consider finding a way to procure a thinkpad Yoga (not X1 - too expensive), EMR, and deal with the weight, even deal with the hassle of a supplemental battery pack. I've owned two and never had a moments trouble. But if you haven't tried the SP4 pen - on any SP3 or later, you may be pleasantly surprised. Don't know if the latest SP's pen works on anything but the newest SP. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Bronsky and WillAdams like this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I have the SP4 and weirdly preferred the SP3 pen, but that was more about ergonomics. The SP4 pen was uncomfortable for me. Ultimately I went back to using my (broken) Wacom EMR based Toshiba Z10T.

Isn't the Yoga X1 Wacom AES?

Bronsky likes this.
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I use the Surface Pro 2017 i5/8/256 and I take ink notes 8-10 hours a day, my battery get me through the whole day as well. I love it, I'm running Insider Fast for both the OS and Office 365 so that can be a challenge sometime :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hi Dr T. Long time! I revert to my Z20t and GN8 Tablet (both EMR) but do like the SP4 pen better than SP3 on my SP3. You may be right about the Yoga X1 - I'm still on TPY 12!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

DRTigerlilly likes this.