Galaxy Book 12 not detecting s-pens

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by LegendaryVegan, Jul 20, 2021.

1. LegendaryVegan

LegendaryVegan Pen Pal - Newbie

I used to use my Galaxy Book 12 for artwork all the time but it had persistent problems with it not being able to detect either of my S-Pens (the default one and the Staedtler Noris Digital that I usually use). It would usually go away after I either restarted or installed an update, but it got worse over time to the point where it's unusable for artwork now. I had to get a standalone tablet monitor for my home PC but can't do digital art when traveling now. Has anyone else had this problem or know a solution? It's a great little tablet that works fine otherwise, and I'd hate to have to replace it already.

2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I take it you have had your pens for a while? Have you tried any other, preferably new ones? They can go bad, I have a Staedtler Noris Digital that is completely dead for instance.

That said, it doesn't sound like a pen issue. In that case, have you tried a complete reinstall? Save what you need and completely wipe the thing.

After that it gets more tricky if you hope to keep your device, so hopefully it's not a hardware problem.

3. LegendaryVegan

LegendaryVegan Pen Pal - Newbie

The Noris is still good since it works on my Note 9 phone. I was hoping not to have to do a wipe but I'll try that next.

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Better than having to buy a whole new machine (well, that depends, but less e-waste is always good).

5. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

If the s-pen cannot be used after reinstalling / restoring windows, it is likely that the internal wacom EMR digitizer connection flexible flat cable is aging, and the galaxy book is an integrated device, which is very difficult to disassemble and repair

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Bummer!

I'd have to agree; it sounds like hardware failure on the tablet side. -Especially since it crept up gradually.

It seems unusual since there's no moving parts. Maybe corrosion combined with poor quality control?

I'm gonna go ahead and bet it's out of warranty too.

Yep. Bummer.

Though I'd try a new stylus before giving up all hope. -One you can use on your next tablet if that ends up being your only recourse.