Galaxy Book 12 Keyboard firmware is there one?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Saxman, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Saxman

Saxman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

Been wondering if anyone has come across the KB backlight issue with their KB's for the galaxy book 12 and if there is a way to fix the issue or its just a known perk with the KB's when the KB's are running with Backlight on. Its become a major annoyance for me and was hoping there's a fix because after contacting Samsung they seem to not know of a fix at all.

Issue is:

Keyboard once the backlight is off when I start typing after the backlight has gone off, the keyboard is the woken up by the first keystroke, and during the wake up process, the following keys aren't registered. So depending on your typing speed, 3-5 characters are lost in the wake up process.

For example, if you try to type the word "keyboard" on the tablet after the backlight has gone off, you may end up with

"kyboard"
    "kboard"

If the backlight is off completely there is no issue. To me this looks like a firmware issue that could easily be resolved.

nyb72 likes this.
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have this problem exactly as you describe.
    If you go to the samsung forum, there are plenty of people who have written about this, so I have a hard time believing that Samsung doesn't know. It's easily reproducible too.

In that Samsung forum thread, I believe the posters have also indicated that the Samsung US center doesn't acknowledge or know how to fix it. However, there is a poster in Italy that brought his Book to an authorized repair center there, and they flashed a firmware in 5 minutes to fix the problem.

I'd be more than happy to send my Book in, here in the US to get this resolved, but there's no indication that they would do it.

I'd be more than happy to take this on with you... hopefully more strength in numbers would help.

3. nyb72

Ok, that's weird. I tried to find that keyboard backlight thread in the samsung community and it's nowhere to be found. I searched through my history and that link is dead, even cache won't let me in it anymore. It's called "Galaxy Book 12 Touchpad & Keyboard Issues" and it had five pages of replies

I'm going to start up another one

4. Saxman

Saxman Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad I'm not alone on this.

I'm actually based in Australia so alittle bit away haha, because I have another laptop on backup at this stage I'm happy going through the process to see what happens. Its alittle different here because technically I can get it fixed down two channels samsung directly or the Telephone company which sold the product as I have the 4g model and it has a unique sticker on the back which matches their name. In Australia we also have consumer laws which allow us to get it fixed/returned via both. Could be the same over there though.

If you start another thread with the samsung community, I'd be happy chipping in. When I spoke with the samsung chat rep last time it sounds like Samsung is aware of the issue. But that rep had no fix that they knew of and they said to send it in for assessment to see what they could do.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Man... That's the trouble with the way we do things these days.

Back when a fresh new computer release only happened every few years, the user base was able to focus its entire collective attention and energy on exploring and solving every pathway of inquiry. The Commodore 64 and the TRS-80 Color Computers come to mind. They had whole monthly magazines devoted to them! Imagine that! Can you picture a whole, 200+ page magazine delivered monthly just for the Galaxy Book?

Under those circumstances, no way would a keyboard fault of the sort you describe go unaddressed by the manufacturer. In fact, it would inspire pages of public discussion, fixes and even in some cases whole business models as third party work-arounds and repair solutions became public domain.

Fans were geniuses at squeezing the most amazing performance improvements out of old hardware. -Like with the Voyager spacecraft; after their original mission was over, NASA geeks found a way to re-program and manipulate old hardware to coax enough extra performance out of them to extend the mission all the way out to Pluto! -All while the machines were already over a decade and millions of miles away! Given limits, people get creative.

Nowadays.., Samsung and others (ALL others, it seems), just practice the "Aggressively Ignore the Squeeky Wheel and Rush out the Next Hardware Iteration" method of problem solving.

The downside is we never ever reach the full potential of what a computer is capable of. (Not even close, I'm betting!) But the upside is that hardware development is fantastically well driven. I bet if we stuck to the old model, the idea of finger-touch screens and maybe even the mouse would still seem like sci-fi right now.

Ahem.

But yeah. I hope you get your keyboard problem fixed!

Marty likes this.
  6. Saxman

Saxman Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh really sounds like it was much better back then. But I know what you mean nowadays it's alot different. The amount of ewaste that we go through is also pretty incredible.

Just an update, I went to the samsung store today as the samsung support chat team made an appointment for me to have the machine assessed. They weren't aware of the issue but were happy to help and sent the machine off for repair at the repair centre located interstate. Sadly the ETA of repair or replacement could be upto 3 weeks so it might be awhile before I post an update again. But I will definitely post something once I hear anything :).

7. nyb72

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  8. Saxman

Saxman Pen Pal - Newbie

I did ask when I was there, but they said to me they had to have the whole machine sent in minus the pen as some repairs may require replacement of the whole tablet/KB so thats why they require the whole unit including the Keyboard. Do keep in mind though that was at the samsung store as they have no local repairers near me. Depending on where you live might have a repairer nearby so process might be quicker and may not require complete unit being sent in. I hope so aswell, I also just posted a reply on the samsung community post you made. Maybe that'll give it some more traction with them also.

9. Saxman

Saxman Pen Pal - Newbie

So some good news, I received my galaxy book back today. The issue is now resolved. Samsung replaced the Whole Keyboard cover. I've been testing the unit over the last few hours and it works great. One thing I've noticed is that the backlight takes slightly longer to turn off than it used to but when it does all keys are registered properly when typed during the wake up stage. So for anyone who has this issue in the future replacing the KB cover seems the way to go.

nyb72, Bronsky and LeoZappa like this.
  10. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this. Is there any way to extract the firmware? Or more realistically, could you post the firmware version?