Futuristic "Cintiq" concept from Black Mirror series.

Discussion in 'Artists' started by T-ravisty, Jan 2, 2014.

1. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey all,

I've been meaning to post this for a while.
    I stumbled upon the series "Black Mirror" a few months ago, I'll spare you the details, but I recommend it!

Anyway, in Season 2 Episode 1 there's a woman using a futuristic styled drawing board/Cintiq, it's an interesting concept as it's arched and looks like it's got a paper-like texture along with the ability of multi-touch and what looks like the use and interaction of real-world tools like brushes/pens/pencils.

The first three images have a wooden board whereas the fourth is on a glass or perspex board.

Anyway, just thought I'd share it.

BM_CintiqConcept_01.jpg BM_CintiqConcept_02.jpg BM_CintiqConcept_03.jpg BM_CintiqConcept_04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thats looks pretty flipping cool.

Can't even imagine how that would work in real life...and the lack of needing to use the mess and smell of traditional art mediums is the prime reason why I got into digital art in the first place...so I wouldn't be too excited about having the buy real paints and such...but regardless that would be pretty kick ass if they could ever develop something like that.

Thanks for sharing.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

but why would I want to paint on a bent surface? Why is curved desirable over a big flat surface? I feel the plane change would only complicate perspective and introduce new complications and offer very little in the way of ergonomics, unless you used the bottom to mix paints and deal with menus only. But then gorilla arm would be present if you had to reach farther to paint in front of you. Perhaps a concept like this but with a semi circle cut out of the middle bottom section so you could be closer to the "canvas"?

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ahhhh. In the *F*U*T*U*R*E* we don't need no steenkin' rulers!

We have robots to do that for us!

Still, it's a cool design concept for a sci-fi world. Some prop department had to crank that sucker out on a week's notice, I imagine. That sounds like an awesome job!

WillAdams likes this.
  5. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I don't have a clue as to how the bent surface would work or make for comfortable use.
    I guess it means you could use it either as a traditional drawing board or somewhat as a standing easel?

I'd really just prefer a milti-Cintiq setup. :p

6. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I thought the vertical plane area was a hand rest, but she's actually drawing on the curved corner.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

7. Thundersnow

Thundersnow Pen Pal - Newbie

The sheer temptation to resist setting down a can of soda on that thing would be unbearable. :p

8. Peggy Carter

Peggy Carter Pen Pal - Newbie

I am mind blown over this device! I see why it is curved. Not all people are comfortable with working on a raised upright position. This gives the freedom of both options. Loved the slide effect. I may be able to find out what is was that was used, but it's a huge maybe. I will post back if anything comes through.

9. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

There is actually a video floating around that demonstrates this using a projector. you can actually make one. It has the same curved surface and can use touch to move pictures around. someone built one it's on youtube or somewhere of the likes. The main difference between what's in that movie and the real one I saw is the real one I saw needs a lot of space underneath to project upwards onto the bent screen.

WillAdams likes this.