Future unfolding 2021

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Kumabjorn, Jul 18, 2021.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Now that is weird - especially the part about filing its own extensive patent applications?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

They have a large legal department that does little else. Japanese consumers rarely sue companies.

3. dstrauss

I guess my thought was how could they patent Samsung tech?

4. Kumabjorn

My misunderstanding.
    I thought it was about the detailed application.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

Your point was a good one. My lawyer eyes were just surprised by the filing.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That patent application... I just can't.

I know it's very common for patent applications, but most of it is so very generic/normal stuff with no/next to no details as to the implementation. As an outsider looking in, such patents mainly look like a massive abuse of the system.

dellaster likes this.
  7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll just say, I feel like the patent system needs an overhaul. Especially when people file patents but don't actually implement or build it...

Tams and dellaster like this.
  8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The worst part is we don't even know if such companies/individuals can even implement their patents. Things like folding displays and running apps side-by-side have been in the creative space for decades, but most people haven't tried filing patents because they have implementation of it. And I thought that was the idea of patents; that specific implementations (that work) can be protected.

Unfortunately, that is not what a large part of the system has become. I get that you might not want the exact details of your implementation made public, but for it to be protected that just has to happen. Afterall, the patent is to give you legal recourse if someone uses your implementation. The only exceptions should be super secret special security/spy stuff.

9. Kumabjorn

Not a bad idea. Give them three years to implement it in a product, and if they don't it is out in the public domain for anyone to use.
    Once implemented it gets extended to the regular (?) 15 years.

10. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

The number of times I've had my own projects canceled because we found out there's a patent for it that has sat idle...

I don't know if it's a practical solution, but I would agree that someone should only be able to file a patent when they demonstrate a build of it. Of course it would be complicated to prove to what constitutes a working prototype... but I feel it would accelerate innovation overall, rather than having things stuck in legal morass.

Tams, Kumabjorn and JoeS like this.