Full Windows 8 Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Marty, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting, can you give the link for the test page? Since it shows "IsWacom: NOT CONNECTED", I can only assume the driver is not picking up device id correctly. But under device manager the Wacom Device is using the Wacom driver, correct?

Can you try disabling touch using the devcon shortcut that I linked in the guide, and see what the test page gives with just pen input.

Also when testing ArtRage pressure sensitivity, make sure to go to Edit > Preferences > Input Device > Use Wacom > Off.

Lastly, did you have pressure sensitivity under Win7?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd be interested in running that test page, too.

I'll reiterate for me....Win7 was working fine. Win8 initial install with the 4 or 5 step install was working. The Win8 refresh is where things broke.

3. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX Pen Pal - Newbie

4. TemplarGFX

I dont know how I did not notice this before, but it seems my pen is working the wrong way around as far as pressure is concerned.

If I start up Word 2010 and switch to pen mode, the tip is constant on pressure, but the eraser (that works as a pen in word) has full pressure sensitivity. I have noticed this is also true in onenote.

I have searched online, but there doesnt seem to be anything available regarding switching functionality of the tip ends

5. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

This is so cool! Thank you so much for sharing this. At least I'll have the guts to try upgrading my pc into Windows 8. Good luck to me! :thumbsup:

6. Marty

Thanks alice! Glad my guide can be as assistance :) Actually, the Win8 install process is quite straightforward, relatively speaking, so I'm sure you'll be able to handle it.

Templar, that's the first time I heard of such a problem. Can you test with another Wacom tablet pc pen? Perhaps the pen is faulty.

7. TemplarGFX

That is what I am thinking too. My second hand EP121 did not come with a pen, I purchased this pen on the recommendations from this forum here. Maybe I just got a bung one. I am going to try and find another to buy that is a different model

8. Geth

Geth Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Marty first off Great Thread! I had backed off from having a number of issues with windows 8 and this fixed about 90% of them.

Also for photoshop users you might want to add this to increase performance (fix lag) - -VGA DRIVERS

Though you might want to update (Gaming Graphics Drivers) to say (7) and Not (F8) as that had me running in circles for a bit.

- Something else that im noticing that is still reoccurring, is that certain update continue to Fail with an Error Code EDIT: 8020002e. I also can't not download apps or app updates.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. Marty

Thanks Geth, have you tried clearing the Windows Update cache (as detailed in this thread). Hopefully that will resolve those errors.

The graphics drivers that I provided detailed instructions for are Win7 drivers. As far as I know they give the best performance. The graphics drivers on Windows update are standard Win8 drivers that give lower performance. (I guess most of Intel's efforts are being geared to improve HD3000/4000 graphics as opposed to the older Arrendale chipset).

Which specific lag issues are you experiencing in PS. I get lag issues with using the polygon select tool, but I think that is due to the Wacom drivers, though I'm not 100% positive. I'm hoping that Wacom will release new drivers soon, so I can test this out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Geth

Geth Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Marty Thanks for the reply.

I actually think i typed in the wrong error code. the errors i keep getting are 0x802002e this one i get in the windows update and in the store to download apps. and i also get 0x80073cf9

EDIT: I woke up on Monday and noticed 4 of the 5 remaining updates were automatically installed and now i can download apps! Thanks for all the help. Im not sure exactly why it was fixed other than using the "windows tool" to auto fix the error 0x80073cf9. but i can't be sure.

Drivers

The Issue i was having with photoshop made it very lagy and unusable when drawing , i use photoshop for digital painting so it was an issue. Link to thread An example would be trying to draw a circle and it comes out like a polygon.

I was a bit afraid to use the VGA Drivers i linked because i like the performance from the modded ones you listed. Im glad to say this gave me the best of both worlds! I still have that awesome 4.6 performance. in the gaming graphics drivers. but it also upped the readings in the regular graphics drivers from like 2.4 to about 3.3 (i think im pretty sure they were 2.4)

which allows me to do things like Live screen sharing when i draw ( which wasn't possible before in windows 8 with just the vga drivers.) Now the only issue im having is photoshop is the occasional "drop" in pressure sensitivity where it makes a line the same way using a mouse would. I can live with this but very annoying.

If i could fix that and of course the update errors... I would love windows 8.

I should note that this is what i was saying should be fixed in the op.

Step 3) > 4) Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics >

d) Use your USB keyboard to select F8 "Disable driver signature enforcement" from the list. - The F8 should say F7 or 7

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.