Full Windows 8 Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Marty, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

The refresh seems to keep some drivers, but not others. I had not yet saved a set of restore disks, so had to run off the installation media. The key may be, get it working, then save a recovery disk. I'm only guessing here, but restoring from a recovery disk might preserve most of the drivers. (And I really don't want to test it!)

For my original Win8 install, I did the 4 or so step process to get the touch working (especially to correct the on-screen keyboard size). I was hoping this one driver install would prevent having to do this. I don't think I was originally getting this driver not loaded error on Win8, but did notice it the last week or so before doing the reset, so there may be an issue.

Inside the 710-8 zip file is a 710-9 zip file. I also notice that in my downloads folder I have a 710-9 zip file. Any chance this version is better (anyone test it?).

In Device Manager, I see the Wacom Device. It says it's using Wacom driver version 1.1.1.1 dated 9/26/2012. Is this the correct one? In the Control Panel, when I select Pen Tablet Properties, I get the "The Tablet Driver was not found" pop-up. (if I recall, I also get it on a cold start.) The other Control Panel apps for touch/pen work, except that I don't get the panel with the more complete pen configurations, like programming the pen button.

Is it possible to get the more thorough calibration pattern every time one recalibrates?

I can try the driver complete uninstall/reinstall.

2. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

I loaded the 710-9 just to see if it makes a difference. I get the driver not found message on a restart. Nothing in the control panel changes, and the driver is still listed as 1.1.1.1.

3. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the running dialog, but don't want to forget these details. I did a total uninstall of the driver. I ran CCleaner. I rebooted. I still get the driver not found message on reboot. The Pen Tablet Properties is still in the Control Panel, and gets the same pop-up (do I need to uninstall this?). The pen works, which it didn't when I uninstalled the drivers. The Wacom tablet is no longer in the Device Manager.

I now install the 710-9 drivers (if this doesn't work I'll start over with 710-8). Reboot. Still get driver not found pop-up. The Wacom Tablet shows up in the Device Manager (I think this showed up as a USB input device when the driver is not loaded). All the Control Panel apps still look the same. The Wacom Tablet driver is version 1.1.1.1.

The driver details shows hidkmdf.sys as Windows Win 7 DDK, and wachidrouter.sys as Wacom version 1.1.0001.1.

Pen pressure seems to be working.

Does all this look correct? Why the table driver not found message (which is also associated with the Control Panel/Pen Tablet Properties)? And why not the more complex pen properties?

David

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've never encountered this problem before, so I'm afraid I can only be of limited assistance.

I installed only the 710-8 drivers, and have not tested installing from the 710-9 sub-folder. However, the 3 executables in C:\Program Files\Tablet\ISD (ISD_PenCPL.exe, ISD_Tablet.exe, ISD_TabletUser.exe) are version 7.1.0.9. So I assume they get installed anyways from the 710-8 installer.

My Wacom driver version number is the same (1.1.1.1) and my driver details are:

Driver Name: input.inf
    Class GUID: {745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}
    Service: HidUsb

Driver Name: oem12.inf
    Class GUID: {745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}
    Service: WacHidRouter

Can you see if these files exist on your system under C:\Windows\Inf?

If not all I can suggest beyond a fresh install, is to uninstall and reinstall the drivers with administrator privileges. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

5. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

I have oem20.inf listed, not oem12.inf. ???? oem12.inf is the Bluetooth drivers on my system.

The rest looks the same. I think I'll uninstall one more time, and blow the directory away, to see if that helps. An uninstall from the Device Manager does NOT get rid of everything. I ran the uninstall in the Tablet/ISD folder, and that blows away the complete folder.

I'm reinstalling with the 710-8 drivers, though that doesn't seem to make the difference.

On the final reboot, I get a message that the Tablet service for ISD driver has crashed, so rebooting.....reproducible. The crash data looks like it's trying to load Tablet\ISD\ISD_Tablet.exe, which gets the driver not found error. I can't see what drive it can't find.....

Installing the drivers again, this time explicitly as administrator.....seems to take longer. Same result.

Interesting.....the pen pressure still works. I just can't run the tablet control panel, and I still have no control panel app to set up the pen.

6. Marty

Oh yeah, the oemxx.inf will depend the order the drivers were installed, but if you have input.inf then that means you at least have the driver and should the associated service.

Can you open services.msc and see if you have a service called: TabletServiceISD > Right Click > Properties. Set the startup type to Automatic. If the service isn't running, start it. With this service running the ISD_Tablet.exe should run.

7. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmm....

I have TabletServiceISD and it's set to run automatically (and says it's running). However, it's executable is ISD_Tablet.exe, which, when run, gives the driver not found error.

8. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I cannot get pen pressure to work in any shape or fashion at all. infact, according to the Wacom test page, my pen is simply working as a touch input (eraser and right click button works though)

When using the Wacom Test page, there is supposed be a red circle for the mouse, and a blue circle for the wacom, which is supposed to follow the pen even when it is not touching the screen.

With my EP121, hovering over the screen moves the cursor around, but not the blue circle. when I touch the screen both the blue and red circle follow each other. mouse coordinates change, but position does not.
    Also pressure is constantly at 100.

I have tried like every bloody driver people have mentioned here, and not a single one has made pressure sensitivity work!

9. Marty

@DavidD

Unfortunately I don't have a solution :(. I believe this problem is related to the driver being incorrectly registered in the registry. Perhaps you try the Wacom forums for somebody who's familiar on the specifics of how the driver is loaded. However, the quickest method is probably just a reinstall according to the guide.

@TemplarGFX

Just to confirm:
    1) You have done a fresh install according to the guide
    2) You see Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > Wacom Devices
    3) The TabletISDService is running
    4) You can launch the Pen Tablet Properties control panel
    5) You can get pressure in a not WinTab app like ArtRage

Uninstalling and reinstalling different Wacom drivers may have caused an error in the registry settings. The best and most surefire way of getting Wacom drivers to function properly is a clean install.

Also note, since this is a Windows 8 Install thread, I kindly ask questions specifically related to the Wacom driver (and not in a fresh Win8 install scenario) be posted in the Wacom driver thread.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

1)I have done a fresh install. I used this guide exactly to get WIN8 onto my machine. the installation worked like a charm (wacom not withstanding)
    2)I have Human Interfaces Devices -> Wacom Device (working correctly)
    3)The service is running
    4)I can launch the tablet properties
    5)Artrage, Photoshop and One Note do not give pressure sensitivity

This is the Wacom Test page. As you can see, only mouse position is recorded, and the little red square (the mouse) is covering the blue square (the pen)
    wacomissue.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.