Full Windows 8 Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Marty, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

By popular demand I'm making this guide to upgrading to Windows 8 on the EP121. Due to time constraints, I wasn't able to take screenshots of the procedure, but I really wanted to just get this out there for all the forum members that want some guidance.

Thanks to all the great members of this forum for providing valuable support and information that made this guide possible.

Ok let's get started.

Step 0: Preparation

Before upgrading (from any version of Windows), you need your power adapter and USB keyboard for some of the boot up steps.

If you don't have an external DVD drive and Windows 8 Install DVD, you will need to create a USB bootable image of Windows 8 onto an 8gb+ flash drive.

You can do this in two ways:

The first way is to use the Windows 8 Upgrade Tool which will will walk you through the creation of a bootable USB drive.

The second way is to obtain a digital Windows 8 disk image and convert it to a bootable flash drive using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool

Of course, make sure to back up your files, even if you are performing an upgrade rather than clean installation. However, I personally recommend a fresh install to minimize later complications.

Step 1: Flash the Bios to version 704

To flash the bios you will need to install several ASUS utilites (if they are not installed already).

From this ASUS FTP site you will need need to download and extract:

704 Bios (Oct 2012 version) or CF77's modded 704 bios. The modded bios disables the prochot CPU instruction to increase performance.
    (Check out CF77's modded bios thread for more details.)

and

WinFlash

If you try to install WinFlash and you encounter the "only for ASUS notebooks" error, you will need to install:

IMPORTANT: Before flashing, make sure you have no other processes running that might disrupt the procedure and that your notebook is plugged in.

Launch the WinFlash utility, select the extracted bios file and hit "Flash".

Reboot after the flashing has fully completed.

If you installed the modded bios, While rebooting, hold down the 'F2' key to enter the bios. Once in, select "Optimized Settings" by hitting 'F9', then "Save the changes and exit" by hitting 'F10'.

(A big thanks to CF77 for this.)

Step 2: Install Windows 8

Reboot with the Windows 8 install disc/image plugged into a USB port. The setup bootloader will guide you through the procedure. You may wish to refer to this guide, if this is your first time doing this.

The important thing to note for a fresh Windows 8 install, is that you should select "Custom" and not "Upgrade" when asked "Which type of installation do you want?"

Step 3: Install Windows Updates

After Windows 8 has fully installed, you should connect to your wireless network and activate Windows to prevent Update errors. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Windows Activation and input your key, if you have not already done so.

After activation, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update and check for updates. Note there are several hardware driver updates, with related tweaks, that I will discuss below:

1) EETI - Input - EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer
    Updates the capacitive touch sensor driver.

Notes: If you are experiencing issues with palm rejection, you can disable the touch sensor by:

a) Using three_pinapples' devcon script (make sure to edit the 'toff' and 'ton' shortcuts to the correct path of 'devcon.exe')

or

b) Going to Control Panel > Device Manager > Human Interfaces > EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer (Right Click) > Disable

2) Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio
    Enables extra soundcard options via the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Note: I have found that installing these drivers can give a significant volume boost especially when using the "Live" equalizer setting.​

3) ASUS - Other hardware - EeeSlate ACPI Utility (GSensor)
    Enables orientation sensor.

Notes:
    a) You may encounter issues with the orientation lock switch on the bezel not reliably locking the orientation.

b) Many Metro applications will forcibly switch to landscape, even if the orientation is locked on portrait. To keep the screen consistently in portrait, you can disable the g-sensor by going to "Control Panel > Device Manager > Sensors > G-Gensor (right click) > Disable."

c) When waking up from sleep/hibernate, the screen may automatically switch to landscape even if you have locked the orientation to portrait and/or disabled the g-sensor. In this case, open RegEdit and navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation] and set the "Enable" key to 0.​

4) Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics
    This update will install the latest Windows 8 certified graphics drivers. If you wish to install an alternative Win7 driver for better graphics performance, uncheck this update and read the note below.

Notes: As of this writing, the Windows 8 Intel driver is limited to OpenGL 1.1 and gives a WEI gaming graphics score of ~3.5 (with prochot disabled). This is markedly worse than the Windows 7 Intel driver that supports OpenGL 2.1 and gives a WEI gaming graphics score of ~4.5 (with prochot disabled).

To Install the Windows 7 Intel HD Graphics driver, you may refer to this guide.
    (thanks to shnfara for this)

However, if you find that guide too hard to follow, I have provided an alternative method below:

a) Download and extract the 8.15.10.2827 Intel HD Graphics Drivers (igdlh64.inf already modded for your convenience).

b) Open Charms Bar (swipe in from right edge) > Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Restart now (under Advanced Startup). All processes will be closed and you will be taken to a light blue options screen.

c) Select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings > Restart. The computer will restart and present a startup options screen.

d) Use your USB keyboard to select 7 or F7 "Disable driver signature enforcement" from the list.

e) Run the 'Setup.exe' from the extracted graphics driver folder. While installing, you will be prompted that the driver is unsigned; select "Install this driver anyways" to complete the installation and reboot.​

Step 4: Wacom Drivers

Download and install the 710-8 drivers from the Wacom drivers page.

These drivers will enable expanded options for the active pen digitizer via the Wacom Control Panel (Control Panel > Pen Tablet Properties). Most importantly, it enables the customization of the pen side switch, if you have an aftermarket UD pen.

Notes:
    a) You can get a more precise calibration by following this procedure (thanks to NePheus):

i. run "regedit", search for "linearity" and delete all keys it finds
    ii. open cmd and paste this:
    Code:
    tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=20,268,516,764,1012,1260 YGridPts=20,172,324,476,628,780
    iii. multipoint calibration will start

b) You can adjust the pressure sensitivity of the pen using Karel Zídek's Tablet Pressure Curve Tool. Some art programs, such as Corel Painter and IllustStudio, feature an in-built pressure curve tool as well.

c) The pen digitizer is sometimes disabled after waking from sleep/hibernation. To prevent this, go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Human Interfaces > Wacom Device (Right Click) > Power Management > Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

d) After waking from sleep/hibernation, in some programs (eg. Sketchbook Designer), you may find the pen tracking has flipped X and Y displacement. In other words, moving pen left will track the cursor up, and vice versa.

If this happens, save this code:
    Code:
    NET STOP "TabletServiceISD"
    NET START "TabletServiceISD"
    into a batch file, right click and "Run as administrator". I keep a shortcut to the batch file on the QuickLaunch bar, for easy access.

e) The Wacom WinTab drivers are not always superior to the default Microsoft drivers. A good example is using ArtRage: the multitouch gestures to manipulate the canvas only work reliably when WinTab is disabled under the program preferences. IllustStudio also features the ability to toggle off WinTab. Make sure to try out what works best for you in your drawing application of choice.​

Other Notes

1) Admin Startup Programs
    If you are a Windows Vista/7 user who disabled UAC via the control panel, in Windows 8, the process is much more involved.

I normally keep UAC enabled under Windows 8, but this means programs that require administrator privileges will not load via startup shortcuts or registry keys. This could be troublesome if you rely on certain AutoHotkey scripts or other small tablet utilities (that must be run as admin) to load at startup.

The most elegant solution I have found is to first set any startup programs that require admin privileges to 'Always Run as Adminstrator' by right clicking the executable > Properties > Compatibility > "Run this program as an administrator". Then create a batch file with the line:

Code:
    start /d "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\ASUS\EeeSlate Hotkey" PadKeyLogon64.exe
    (replace the path in quotes with the executable location and 'PadKeyLogon64' with the name of the executable you wish to run as startup)​

I would add a line for each startup program, save, then place a shortcut to batch script in the startup folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp).

2) Touch Flicks
    Unlike in Window 7, pen flicks cannot be performed with touch. The closest equivalent I've found is to use StrokesPlus and set the gestures to activate on left click. However, this will take some adjustment and practice to not interfere with normal touch operation.

3) TIP Icon
    Unlike in Window 7, the TIP (Tablet Input Panel) icon will not automatically appear when focusing a text field. This is because the TIP has been replaced with the Windows 8 keyboard, which by default, can only be opened via the taskbar icon (in desktop mode).

The closest equivalent I have found is to use MyScriptStylus which behaves similar to the old TIP, with added ability to write over the whole screen (in fullscreen mode) instead of only in the panel. It also supports East Asian character recognition. However, it is limited to a 30-day free trial.

Conclusion

So that wraps up my guide. I've tried to be as thorough as possible (again I apologize for not including screenshots) and I have tried address the potential issues that a Windows 7 user might encounter when upgrading to Windows 8.

If anyone notices any errors or omissions feel free to post! Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. BikeAR

BikeAR Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, Marty! Windows 8 was just what this slate needed.

3. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally finished installing Win8 on my EP121. What an incredible difference it makes. Its so much easier to use, much more user friendly, and so far, everything runs better

4. Marty

Glad to hear it! This slate is indeed very suited for Win8. :) If you have any other questions/comments, let me know!

5. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX Pen Pal - Newbie

I do have one question. Is it possible to make the keyboard button next to the power button work? I have the latest bios update. They keyboard does come up in most text fields so its not needed for most things, but it would still be nice for the button to work. Otherwise can this button be reprogrammed?

And thankyou for the tutorial. this made things SUPER simple for me to do!

6. Marty

Sometimes I get this problem too, but rarely. If you look at the "Other Notes 1) Admin Startup Programs" of the guide, I provide a sample script to start PadKeyLogon64.exe, which brings up the secondary OSK in desktop mode when you hit keyboard button.

It's more compact than the primary OSK, so it's a little harder to hit the keys, but this is also a good thing because it takes up less room. Also remember to hit "Dock" to put the keyboard at the bottom, then "Options" to customize the behavior.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to reprogram the keyboard button, I believe it's built into the driver.

No problem! That's why I made this guide!

7. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

I've posted another question on this, but I see information on this here.....

I don't get screen rotate, and I have not Sensors under Device Manager. I've loaded the update from ASUS several time, which always appears to work, but still no g-sensor. Any ideas?

8. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to this post, I at least knew what to look at. I found g-sensor under System devices, and it said the device drivers weren't loaded. I tried the ASUS driver one more time, but nothing. So, I uninstalled the device that was there and said to delete the device driver. I rebooted, and now I had Sensors, and an Unknown device. I ran the ASUS driver again, and this time the Sensors/ASUS G Sensor showed up, and NOW IT'S WORKING!

9. DavidD

DavidD Pen Pal - Newbie

I should clarify why I'm having problems.....I had to do a refresh install of Win8. I had most everything working before the refresh, and now, selective things are broken (the refresh was to fix wireless driver issues).

Now....I install the Wacom 710-8 drivers, and when I select Pen Tablet Properties, which wasn't there before loading these drivers, I get a message saying The Tablet driver was not found. I know there was a more complicated install routine that was suggested in another very long thread, but was hoping this one driver was the definitive answer. I've tried several reboots. Any other ideas why it might not be working?

I also am not getting pen pressure that I was getting before....ooops, that seems to be working, just that some implements don't have pressure. Pencil and marker are working, though. (Autodesk SketchBook Express)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. Marty

I've not had time to test the refresh feature of win8 in detail, but you are not the first to report problems after the refresh.

I'm glad you got the g-sensor drivers working. As for the wacom drivers, can you see Device Manager > Human Interfaces > Wacom Device ? Is the driver functioning properly? You could try unistalling the device and re-installing the driver as you did with the g-sensor.

The more complicated wacom install procedure is more or less obsolete with the release of the win8 drivers from wacom. The pen function is slightly different when using the Win7 driver stack, but overall I don't think it's worth the trouble since palm rejection is poorer.

If you still have problems perhaps, a full re-install is the way to go. Until I do some more research into exactly how the refresh feature deals with drivers, I'm afraid I can't be of more help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.