Full Windows 10...on ARM?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marty, Dec 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Number one this isn't emulation, this is hardware assisted application virtualization i.e. the application runs within a virtual machine wrapper (Microsoft uses this currently for enterprise customers through a product called App-V and technically the Click2Run Version of Office also runs this way).

So the penalty is far smaller than in software emulation as the new ARM SoC has Hardware Virtualization built in the same way as Intel SoCs. So this is unlike Transmeta's Crusoe that used a Software Emulation Instruction Set.

But, this is a replacement for the ATOM Machines not the Core SoCs...

Marty and WillAdams like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But architecturally speaking, there is nothing stopping this from running on a Core SoC as well, right?

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

AIUI, the idea is that rather than Atom x86 chips, new low-end machines will be made w/ these Arm chips so as to have decent battery life and maintain affordability.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

.. and portability and compatibility. I'm very curious about the performance. If it's decent, this could lead to some awesome form factors (surface mini, surface air).

WillAdams likes this.
  5. jnjroach

Sure the could create ARM SoCs that competed with the Intel Core i5 - i7 but they would need to add the fans, etc. and then most of their advantages would go out the Window.

This will allow Windows Cellular based PCs ranging from 3.8"-10" that have very thin chassis and long battery life while maintaining x86 compatibility with Enterprise LOB Applications.

Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

..and PHONE!!!

Can you imagine a Galaxy Note full Windows phone?...I'm salivating just thinking about it... (drool) :D

thierryb, jnjroach and JoeS like this.
  7. jnjroach

We don't use the word Phone anymore in relations to Windows ;) We have cellular PCs that may be capable of making phone calls :D

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

What I am thinking is in low-power server systems with multiple ARM CPUs...is this one possible direction MS is exploring?

9. jnjroach

I doubt it, that configuration is typically used in Blade Server deployments, where the HVAC controls temperature and humidity allowing for dense deployments.

10. Marty

Ah shucks, but even if we are stuck on low-power side, I personally I have always wanted to see a Windows Server Nano option for low power devices like Network Storage or Portable Routers, essentially x86 "smart hubs". Cmon, an Windows IoT...Satya's dream! :)

Anyways, give my absolute respects to whatever team secretly labored away to finish the "Windows on ARM VM" dream. They are coding geniuses and deserve some sort of monument at MS. ;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016