Full Windows 10...on ARM?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marty, Dec 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, so MS just dropped a bomb during this year's WinHEC conference—they partnered with Qualcomm to create a full x64 Windows 10 build running on a SnapDragon processor:

Part of me still cannot believe my eyes. Yes, that was full Photoshop in the Start menu you just saw...

I don't know about you guys, but to me this is earth-shattering news...this completely upends the mobile space: iPads, Chromebooks, and any other upcoming "light-productivity" mobile slates should be shaking in there pants right now. :D

And did I mention a full Windows PC phone? Well apparently WindowsCentral thinks that's a possibility too.

This is the dawn of a new age, my friends. :)

thierryb likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I agree, really exciting stuff. Now what we need is that every new TV and AIO offers a thunderbolt docking port and a USB hub. I think that once you have a full PC in your pocket you'll start doing things differently. Having a Surface Air with 10h battery life would be nice as well. :D

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like Microsoft finally figured out a way to force everyone to buy new apps.

Guess I'll have to eventually give up Macromedia Freehand/MX on Windows as I eventually will on Mac OS X (when I can no longer source a reasonable system which will run 10.6.8).

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

What do you mean? UWP apps will continue to work across Win10 on x86, Win10 mobile, and Win10 on ARM. Win win win!

5. WillAdams

Right, but old legacy apps won't work on these new-fangled systems, hence my mentioning of Freehand.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any x86 32-bit software will run in that emulator, not just UWP apps. But it will be possible to code native ARM Windows apps.

7. WillAdams

Yeah, because such emulation worked out so well for Transmeta on the TC1000, and had zero performance penalty for Rosetta.

8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I din't say that it will work awesome, just that it will run. ;)
    We will just have to wait and see where and how thin the bottlenecks are.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't believe you're not more excited about this! Will the emulator have compatibility issues? Yes, but just the fact that they made a full x86 virtual machine is the downright amazing.

Keep in mind, in that WinHEC demo video, they chose to run full Photoshop as an example, not just a dinky little .NET utility.

PS certainly not your average x86 app. Heck, the sheer amount legacy code and libraries it loads makes it one of 'heaviest' apps out there.

This means MS is intending the x86 emulation for full productivity and graphics workflows.

It's Hallelujah for Windows-based professionals!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  10. WillAdams

Yeah, I had this "Hallelujah" before, and everything was sunshine and peaches until I hit the performance bottlenecks of the early machines running it, and then, ultimately, Apple decided to take Rosetta away.

If Freehand runs at near native speed, then yes, I'll be happy, until such time as Microsoft takes it away --- I desperately need to future-proof my drawing toolset, but nothing works as well for me as Freehand/MX (I've been using it since the beta-test, and before that, started on Altsys Virtuoso on my NeXT, and used Freehand v3 on Mac OS) --- very sad that Serif's Affinity Designer is 64-bit only, and that they weren't that responsive when I tried to provide feedback.