Fujitsu's new T90: THE most powerful TabletPC, bar none

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by AmbiDextrose, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree. I told them that if they give us a 1440x900 LCD option on top of the Optimus, I might actually spend the $2000+ to get the T901, since that will pretty much make it the BEST CONVERTIBLE TPC IN THE WORLDDDDDDDD~

2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Only one USB 3.0? I'm probably being horribly ignorant (USB 3.0 using more power or something/more expensive), but why not at least 2 or all three USBs being 3.0? If the sleep and charge requires USB 2.0, then OK, but then why not have two sleep and charge ports (too much power consumption?). And doesn't USB 3.0 provide more power? I must be missign something...

Other than that, my only other complaint would be screen resolution. Low screen res makes me a sad panda =(.

As specs don't seem to be set in stone yet, could there be hope?

3. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm afraid we're stuck with 1280x800 for the long-run unless some LCD manufacturer decides to produce 13.3in displays with higher resolutions or if WACOM creates a digitizer board with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Currently, WACOM only produces digitizers in the 4:3 and 16:10 aspect ratios. There are 13.1in high-definition panels but are in 16:9 aspect ratio (1600x900 and 1920x1080) manufactured by Toshiba. This makes these panels a little bit wider (about 1/8in on each side) and a little bit shorter (about 1/4in top and bottom) than a 13.3in WACOM digitizer board.

Since, on TabletPCs, digitizer boards are integrated with the LCD frame, mating a 13.1in hi-def LCD panel with a 13.3in digitizer board would be awkward at best.

Just in case you'rei interested, here's a link where you can see digitizer sizes currently offered by WACOM:

Wacom Components

According to this site, the best we could hope for are 14.0in LCD displays and those only go as high as 1440x900 (WSXGA) and modern WSXGA panels (i.e., those with LED backlights) are quite few and far between (which would add to the cost).

4. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

16:10 is superior to 16:9 anyway due to the latter cutting off vertical lines to achieve the aspect ratio, but I'd still honestly prefer 4:3 for anything with a tablet mode, just because portrait orientation is more practical that way.

Of course, the LCD market just doesn't work that way. All about economies of scale, and 16:9 is what's popular at the moment because of HDTV standards.

Another issue could be the panels BOE Hydis produces. They have a limited selection, after all, and pretty much every non-Hydis panel I've seen in a laptop or Tablet PC is undoubtedly cheap TN crap. Given that the T5010 and T900 exclusively use Hydis panels to my knowledge, that would be a massive downgrade in terms of viewing angles.

5. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

I pretty much dismissed this Fujitsu since it won't have resolution above 1280 wide.

That and the price doesn't help. Could get two EP121's instead.

6. NamelessPlayer

The days of 1400x1050 screens are long past. Unfortunately, the HDTV market is affecting the PC monitor market, and not for the better. (Anything with a tablet mode should be 4:3 if you ask me, or else portrait becomes too narrow.)

There's the Kno (1400x900), but now you're talking a 14" + bezel slate that can't run Windows.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I may be wrong, but I thought Fujitsu manufactures their own displays. Another reason I don't think they are Hydis is that I have an HP 2740 and had an HP 2730, both with Hydis displays, and they look entirely different from the Fujitsu display. Both are good but the Fujitsu has significantly better colors and the Hydis with multitouch is far more grainy in the Fujitsu.

8. NamelessPlayer

I'm not certain, but I could've sworn that all those T5010/T900 replacement LCDs being sold on eBay were Hydis. Every single one.

I don't really care who makes them in the end so long as the image quality is great-it's just that Hydis is a safe bet because all they make are AFFS+ panels. Others may provide IPS panels, but it's far too likely to just be TN.

9. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

So when they say 3d...are we going to be running at 120hz??

I love my t5010 - don't get me wrong...but that Nvidia GPU upgrade might actually make me buy the new one as a desktop replacement! :D for light gaming, i'm sure it'll do the trick....Starcraft 2...heroes of newerth :D

10. Nardu

Nardu Pen Pal - Newbie

11. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Hopefully the Intel chip issues involved in the announced recall will not effect the T901 units at the start of production. I am not sure if the issues affected the mobile Sandy Bridge units or if it was completely contained in the desktop versions. You may want to do some research before pulling the trigger...

12. Nardu

Nardu Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the info, i didn't even know about the problem
    unfortunately, the problem also affects the mobile version of Sandy Bridge
    according to this source (sorry its german) the delivery of products based on Sandy Bridge - especially notebooks - will be delayed
    the source is also mentioning that the planned launch date of 20. February for Sandy Bridge notebook platforms(which would be consistent with my information of T901 production start at the end of February) probably can't be met :(

In sum, the good thing is that Fujitsu probably won't launch a faulty product. The bad thing is that the launch of the T901 will probably be delayed. :(

man, i really need a new tablet...

13. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, even HP delayed the announcement of new SB-based business notebooks (hopefully, the successor to the 2740p is in there somewhere) because of the faulty chipset.

Given the fact that these chips have been shipping to manufacturers since December of last year, it will probably take some time for all the replacements to happen. We're probably looking at June or even September for the supply of new SB notebooks to stabilize. By then, Intel would have announced the new Ivy Bridge platform.

What an untimely mess for Intel and it's partners.

14. Nardu

Nardu Pen Pal - Newbie

do you really think it will take that long? what a mess, i actually would have to order a new tablet right now, but there is nothing on the market that meets my needs
    The T901 wouldn't be perfect either, but as close as possible ;)

15. superart

superart Pen Pal - Newbie

did that german site say anything about possible nvidia graphics?

16. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

17. NamelessPlayer

On the other hand, the Fujitsu rep in a video said that the model demonstrated was just a prototype, and they'll probably be offering it as an option with the final version.

I can only hope, anyway...there's no reason for any PC exceeding US$1,000 to NOT have dedicated graphics. Not that I'll have any chance of affording the T901 on release, but high-end hardware like that does become significantly more affordable after a few years thanks to depreciation...

18. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

I'd like to agree with you but history doesn't bear this out, at least not for Tablet PCs where almost all of them cost more than $1000 and almost all of them lack dedicated graphics.

This T901 having nVidia graphics has felt like a misquote/misunderstanding to me all along.
    My theory is that they were trying to say that the integrated graphics in the new Sandy Bridge chips is/should-be comparable to an nVidia GPU.
    I think the rep either understood it wrong, said it wrong, or both.

EDIT: But just so we're on the same page, I'd honestly really like to see dedicated graphics on the T901. I think it'd put a little pressure on the manufacturers of other high-end Tablet PCs to start including them as well and then we'd be able to bring in yet more users to the world of Tablet PCs and in the end that's good for all of us.

19. Nardu

Nardu Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not so sure that dedicated graphics are that necessary or useful in a (business) tablet - you don't really need it for CAT, as the screen is too small/too low resolution and gamers are not really the target group
    and for everything else you don't really need dedicated graphics imo

are you referring to the video from CES 2011? the rep never says anything about optimus, its just the interviewer who speaks about it

20. NamelessPlayer

I've known for the longest time...do Wacom and N-trig really charge that much for their digitizers, and BOE Hydis their LCDs? Those are the only things I can possibly think of that even come close to justifying the high prices. It just seems absurd that for the price of one of these systems, you can get a standard laptop with a decent MXM graphics card. Too bad you can't write and draw on it.

And then we have the HP tm2, which has both Wacom AND dedicated graphics (weak sauce dedicated graphics, but still faster than the GMA HD in the Westmere i3/i5 ULV)-just missing that AFFS+ LCD all the business-class Tablet PCs have. I get the feeling that it's not that they can't put dedicated graphics in these high-end Tablet PCs, but that they just don't want to.

I doubt the GMA HD in the Sandy Bridge i5/i7 will be comparable to mid-range NVIDIA, though. Low-end? Probably, but I'd expect no less than mid-range for a system that expensive, albeit not too high-end for heat and power consumption reasons.

I have a bit of a conundrum here; I don't like working with paper, so Tablet PCs appeal to me there. But I'm also an avid gamer, with a desktop built primarily for that purpose. If I happen to get in the business of making those games, wouldn't it be nice to run them on the same machine that does all the texture work and such that might be done on a Wacom Penabled system?

Unfortunately, it seems like we're still a ways off from seeing StreamMyGame get replaced with something that works reliably for once. One of these days, it won't matter how powerful my Tablet PC is as long as I can get a connection to my desktop at home without too much latency...