Fujitsu Tech Support Policies

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by leaftye, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

I'm not too happy with Fujitsu's tech support policies. I am am happy with the friendliness and efficiency of all the tech support employees and thank everyone who worked on my T4220 (in case Fujitsu is reading this post). I still love my T4220, it is my favorite thing! What better product is there for a college student? ABSOLUTELY NONE! ::D

Anyways, here's the 2 things I'm disappointed with:

1) I had to buy a new keyboard just because a few keys broke off. I don't know if this is standard policy among laptop manufacturers but it seems like a lucritive design flaw to me. I know keys can snap in easily when they are designed to. Well, $230 + $90 shipping, oh well.

2) After waiting 2 weeks to get back my T4220 with its shiny new Standard PS/2 Keyboard, I get it back and see that the light-up v--"ROTATE"--^arrows don't light-up anymore when I turn the tablet screen. After a call to Fujitsu tech support I am left with 2 options. I can either send it in and wait 2 weeks, or just live with the arrows that don't light up. :( I didn't even ask if they would pay shipping though I would hope at the very least they would do that if I ever decide that there is a good time period I can wait for it. I did however ask if I could have a temporary replacement T4220 and the answer was no.
    [EDIT: THE ARROWS NOW LIGHT-UP! I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON BUT THEY WORK NOW SO I'M JUST GOING TO HOPE THESE TURN SIGNALS CONTINUE WORKING.]

Note to anyone who doesn't own the laptop and is reading this: I still think this is the best $2500 (and counting) that I have spent in the last year and my next notebook is still likely to be a Fujitsu. Nothing has ever gone wrong with the T4220 ... how often can you say that about anything?!

2. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

Well, I didn't do anything but the arrows now light up. This pretty much makes my whole "2)" paragraph irrelevant. I wouldn't have even made this post if all I was going to whine about was expensive keys. Well, I better quit it now and hope that these arrows continue pointing me in the right direction (sorry, I'm a dork).

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder what the problem was. The keyboard locking plate detaches completely from the main chassis, so I'd guess it's probably just a contact problem, maybe the plate needs more pressure or something. Oh well, glad it was resolved smoothly for you =)

4. hotglass

hotglass Pen Pal - Newbie

More on the Fujitsu Tech support policies. I bought an N6460 refurbished on Ebay late last year and bought an extended warranty direct from Fujitsu. About two months ago my screen would not come up and called Fujitsu. They were very helpful and approved me for service at the local Fujitsu warranty shop here in Las Vegas. The service was great and I had my computer back with a new motherboard in about two working days. Great!!!

Then today I had problems booting the laptop up, the screen would not come on, the battery light was orange. Called tech support expecting the same great service and I thought I was talking to a totally different company. They would not even begin discussing what my problem was until I had confirmed everything even including my email address. I asked to speak to a supervisor so that I could get some help and was told that I could not until I told "Brian" what the problem was. At that point I decided to call back and see if I could get someone more helpful. Got another "Brian". Remarked that it was strange to get another "Brian" and was told there were 5 Brians answering the phone. What are the odds of that?

Anyway after talking to several people the only thing they would offer was to have me send the computer back to Kentucky. No offer was made to use the local repair center, they stated they did more diagnostics that the service center and absolutly no sympathy that I would be out my living for two weeks?

This is almost like another company from two months ago. Anyway I would not purchase another item from Fujitsu as they have no on line tech support, make no effort to actually ascertain what the problem is, and want you to return your computer to the east coast.

Am going out today to purchase a different make as I need my computer to work.

5. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

That sucks to hear. I agree that it is a very major inconvenience to be without your laptop, especially if it is you rely on it.

In regards to my situation (where replacing a few keys left me without a laptop for 2 weeks and forced me to buy a keyboard which cost me over $300 when you include shipping)... I read that Dell made a mistake with some US laptops being shipped with European keyboards (slightly different layout). To remedy the problem they not only offered to fix the keyboards, but they even offered to send out keyboards and let people do it themselves if they opted to.

Oh well, it's all over now and I am left with what I believe is the best laptop on the market for my needs.

6. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh, the Vostro issue? Yeah, I heard about that too, right move on Dell's part. Same for Asus when they decided to replace the wrong batteries they had shipped out with the Eee 900.

@hotglass, that's certainly poor tech support on Fujitsu's end. You ought to report that to customer service; you'll be doing future users a big service. They should have a contact email or line somewhere on the page; their website is really difficult to navigate, especialy the support and feedback pages >_<

7. adoucette

adoucette New Tablet User

I just sent my 4220 in to have some items repaired as well. The internal microphone caused a BSOD every time any program accessed it, the keyboard spacebar only worked 75% of the time. There's also a dead pixel, but Fuj won't repair that until there are at least 15 dead pixels...
    Anyway, I've had 5 "action items" from my dealings with Fuj tech support and warranty repair on this one repair ticket. All five have been fouled up:

1. When I called they didn't have me or my computer in their system b/c of a database error. They put me into their system again.

• When I called back after a few months, when classes were over and I could mail in the notebook for repair, they had lost me from their system again. So I was told that I had to wait a week to get back in their system.

• When I called back a week and a half later, they hadn't started adding me to the system, so I had to wait another day.

• I sent my T4220 in and it got repaired (I hope). But they didn't send back the HDD cable or HDD cover screws with it, so I can't connect the HDD to use it.

• They said they'd overnight them to me. So I called back 2 business days later when I hadn't recieved a package... They had messed up and not mailed anything.

On the positive side, the tech support people were all friendly and helpful. They seemed knowledgeable and were among the best computer tech support I've dealt with from a large manufacturer.

8. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

My tech support experience was crap. Wished I'd bought another tablet. Kind of had the same experience as with adoucette where I had already registered from before. I've had waay better support then what they gave me.

9. adoucette

adoucette New Tablet User

An update: the spacebar seems to work, but I still get a BSOD when the internal microphone is accessed by any program. Even "voice recorder" doesn't work.
    So, they didn't fix anything. The work order says they "re-seated the keyboard" and "replaced the sound card".
    Those bums. Now I have to send it back, shipping on my dime, hoping I get it back in time for school in a week - hopefully fixed. Hopefully.

10. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

Could it be a software issue? If you think it is, try the recovery CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.