Fujitsu T935 - beware crippled processor SOLVED

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Supersonic, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supersonic

Supersonic Scribbler - Standard Member

Just a quick post to warn potential T935 purchasers that the model with the i7-5600U processor is deliberately capped at 0.75GHz in normal use.

I raised a fault ticket with Fujitsu support but they have come back saying that this capping is by design.

The only way to allow the processor to run at anything higher than 0.75GHz is to disable Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS. Doing this of course means that the processor runs at 100% all the time, and dramatically shortens battery life.

I am currently trying to get an alternative machine from Fujitsu, as I don't believe that the machine is fit for purpose as a tablet PC when it can only run at 0.75GHz away from a power outlet. At £1700 ($2500) this is not a cheap machine.

Hope this is useful to someone.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Despite what tech support, I seriously doubt it is parked at 0.8 Ghz (its lowest pstate) by design. Fujitsu is not known for their good consumer support. More likely, something is wrong with your unit, our your power plan has the possessor capped at 0% in advanced power settings.

3. Supersonic

Me too. But Fujitsu say otherwise and are refusing to accept there's a fault, hence my warning to others.

My 'possessor' is not capped in the power plan. And the machine is the same whether plugged in or on battery power.

The only technical thing I haven't tried is installing Windows 7 to see if this is a fault in Windows 8.1.

One other thing I might yet do is take them to the small claims court over the machine not being fit for purpose and possibly also mis-sold as a 'fast' machine.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Lol, Swype will get you sometimes =)

Did you make sure it isn't just your power profile capping the CPU at 0%? I did that (on purpose) with my T904 (basically identical to T935, but with Haswell), which resulted in the CPU never leaving the 800 mhz state.

5. Supersonic

In the power options, I've set minimum CPU to 50%, and maximum to 100%.

Is there anyone out there who has a T935 which does go above 0.75GHz with Intel SpeedStep enabled?

I think this is cTDP set by Fujitsu, but as it's set so low it causes basic tasks (Word, Excel, Firefox) to stutter in use. I might as well be using my old P1610 it's that bad.

I wish I had never 'upgraded' from my old T901. I used to use that to run VidCoder - no chance on this machine.

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

One Q775 owner reported throttling issues, check to see if you have a similar throttling switch ("dock/cradle mode") in Fujitsu Function Manager. If you still want a more powerful machine for more or less the same price, I'd suggest the Vaio Z Canvas, the only downside is the tablet form factor which is not ideal for using the keyboard while on the road.

Supersonic likes this.
  7. Supersonic

Man you are a genius - installed Function Manager and set it to High Performance. Now the CPU throttled back down to 1.35GHz at idle instead of staying at 2.6GHz.

I then lowered the minimum CPU in the Windows power plan to 10% and I can get it to idle at 0.75GHz and still ramp up to 2.6GHz under load. Which is (IMO) how it should be.

I will be writing to Fujitsu Technical Support - why didn't they know this?!

Anyway, thanks for the pointer, you've made my day!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Mesosphere likes this.
  8. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I will look into this because I noticed this since I got the machine over 6 months ago and kept hoping for a firmware fix, but THANK YOU for bringing it up.
    I've tried to get help on this forum and fujitsu support forums but didn't really get any responses. For those who did respond, they thought I was crazy.

ACTUALLY, no. The only temporary FIX I found is if you unplug and replug the ac adapter if the machine is docked or plugged in when started.

The CPU will go from 750mhz to normal. Have task manager up and try it.

I think fujitsu support is bsing you man.

9. Supersonic

Yeah I saw the docked throttle issue, which is very similar. Thing is, I don't have a docking station/port replicator, which is why I raised it with Fujitsu, as I couldn't find anyone else reporting the same issue.

I think Fujitsu support didn't really understand the problem, they were very quick to assume that I didn't understand what CPU throttling was all about. Hopefully they'll ask about Function Manager status if they get similar incidents.

10. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Although I have the docking station, it also throttles when I have the ac plugged in only. If I unplug and replug, it instantly goes back to normal (3.10ghz). CLEARLY, not normal.

I will contact support soon when I go back into the city, as I am currently in a rural area. Looking at two months. I honestly think, if they have a firmware out, it'll fix the problem. It has to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.