Fujitsu T904 at newegg for $1599

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by norvillerogers, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So if you've read enough of my posts, you know I don't return anything. But I'm seriously thinking of returning this T904 for a refund after I write my review. Newegg will probably want to sock me with a 15% restocking fee, so I'm thinking I might request an exchange instead. There's a T902 in stock. Will the display be as disappointing? Any other model recommendations?

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

@norvillerogers, there's no doubt that the keyboard on the T904 is more comfortable to use than the SP3's type cover. But once the T904 is in tablet mode, the keyboard is inaccessible, so you'll need a bluetooth keyboard as well. It's not ideal, but in a pinch I'll sometimes quickly unfold the type cover to type in some text before folding it again to continue working with the pen. That maneuver is a lot more cumbersome on convertible laptops (except the Acer Aspire R7, where you can lift the screen up to access the keys underneath).

Even with the typecover attached, the SP3 is considerably lighter and thinner than the T904. But I'm not a 98-lb. weakling, so the additional weight is not an issue for me. I'm much more put off by not being able to work with the T904 laying flat on a desktop because the viewing angles are so limited.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Oh, gosh a million times yes. The T902 has a lesser resolution (1600 x 900) but a MUCH better screen. It's top of the line IPS has amazing viewing angles, very high contrast and is bright enough for anything but sunlight directly on the screen. The T902 would be a far better review from you from an artists perspective, especially someone who needs the extra power. The T902 is also less compromises in the upgradeability factor. It can house up to 3 SSD's, or 2 HDD and 1 mSATA. It can take twice the ram, 2 batteries, and performs admirably under load unlike the T904. Only the GPU throttles out of turbo if you push both at the same time, and even then it still runs at its base freq of 650mhz. The infamous "glitch" is the only real thorn, but not every unit has the issue. Even so, there really is nothing else like it on the market except perhaps the X230t with a smaller screen and not quite as versatile (no modular bay like the T902).
    As an artist to another artist, I implore you try the T902. BEST MACHINE ever.
    It also gets the "Shog seal of approval". ;)

If an artist just wanted a handy and light machine for sketching the T902 is NOT the right tool, but for a convertible that could be your only portable art station, I haven't found better. And I've tried em all.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I wonder if the reason the screen isn't so nice is they decided participating in the resolution war was more important than view angles and such.

5. surfaceproartist

The Surface Pro 3 has above average screen resolution and has fantastic viewing angles.

6. surfaceproartist

RMA ordered, restocking fee averted (thankfully signed up for a trial Newegg Premier membership). I'll order the 902 once the refund is processed.

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Yea, I'm not saying it is impossible to do both. But Fujitsu may have faced practical realities (business partnerships, cost, etc.) that perhaps put them in an either or situation? At the very least they could have stuck with the T902 screen.

8. surfaceproartist

Shipped! Fastest turnaround on a non-defective product I've ever done. DStrauss is rubbing off on me.

Mesosphere and stoneseeker like this.
  9. Mesosphere

Really fast considering it isn't even showing up until next week! =)

10. surfaceproartist

Haha. Yes, it wasn't supposed to even ship until yesterday, but Newegg is located somewhere in L.A. county and it arrived the day after I ordered.

I just published my sordid little tale: Fujitsu T904: Impulse Buy Leads to Buyer's Remorse — Surface Pro Artist

And @ATIVQ, as promised, I copied and pasted your entire post for a little bit of balance.

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.