Fujitsu T904 at newegg for $1599

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by norvillerogers, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And all the Fujitsu driver updates are in 7z format? There's a download manager, but does it help with installation?

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

User level customer service (or user friendliness) is not Fujitsu's strong suit. Their intended audience is large enterprises with their own tech guys to set up each machine in their own custom way for the end user.

The download manager doesn't help installing. Personally I like this. I installed only what I felt I must have (as I do with all Win32 software). I try to keep my system as clean as possible, but following Fujitsu's general approach, it isn't very user friendly. But in terms of updating OEM specific drivers/bloatware it is pretty much par for the course outside MS. The same is true with Asus and Dell at least.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, sorry to have helped to bring that upon you. I hope if there is much more trouble in this process, then some friendly people in the T904 thread can help you.

I am really looking forward to your review and comparison to other tablets once it's up and running, so I hope this process doesn't ruin the device for you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. surfaceproartist

I don't know if I skipped a critical Fujitsu update, but the drawing experience is very silky. Very surprised how bad multitouch response is in Clip Studio Paint. Zoom is terrible, jumping from 100 to 50% with nothing in between.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Bracing myself for an ultra-negative review by SurfaceProArtist. Let me get it started:

Big issues:
    • The price is a few hundred dollars higher than an equivalent Surface Pro 3. The SP3 is much thinner and lighter, too, and apparently faster even though the specs favor the T904.
    • The speakers are a joke. They barely produce comprehensible spoken words.
    • The Wacom parallax... different sitting positions require recalibrating the pen. The calibration is different for different screen rotations, so if you draw from one position per screen rotation you could manage avoiding recalibration.
    • The display bezel is huge.

Medium issues:
    • The viewing angles on the display are almost, but not quite, as bad as TN displays. The color gamut is smaller than the color gamut of the SP3.
    • There is no included documentation for the Windows 8.1 upgrade, you have to fish for them on the Fujitsu website. My device came preinstalled with 8.1 so I didn't have to perform this step. If you want to create a clean install USB drive, you can download the latest official Windows 8.1 installation ISO on Softicle.
    • Some preinstalled software (Display Manager, Power Saving Utility, Plugfree Network) interferes with proper operation of the device and should be uninstalled.
    • The "international warranty" is not international. It only applies in the country you bought the device. I bought mine from Fujitsu Germany, so I have to service it in Germany, which is a shame since there are official Fujitsu service centers around the world and there's no reason I couldn't get my device serviced in any of them.

Small issues:
    • End-user customer service is not near as good as Apple or Microsoft. Fujitsu is geared towards large businesses with IT departments, it seems only Fujitsu Germany is responsive to the plights of the masses, like complaints about noisy cooling fans which was fixed only after being raised on the Fujitsu Germany forum.
    • The keyboard backlight LEDs are visible from around the keys.
    • The hotkey arrangement is a bit cumbersome. "Flight mode" is right next to "display brightness", forcing you to look before you press.
    • There's an exposed docking port at the bottom of the device. Would a cover be too much to ask for?

Are there any benefits for a T904 over a Surface Pro 3? Well...
    • User-replaceable battery
    • User-upgradeable internal parts like wireless card, SSD, 3G/LTE module
    • The availability of an internal 3G/LTE module in the first place
    • Built-in Ethernet port
    • Full-sized SD card reader
    • SmartCard reader
    • An extra USB 3 port
    • 18% more screen real-estate

And as a matter of personal preference:
    • Wacom vs N-trig
    • Notebook vs tablet form factor

All in all the T904 tries to be a high-end device but falls flat in certain areas. If you can live with the price, the Wacom parallax, and the terrible speakers, and you prefer a notebook form factor over a tablet one, the T904 could be considered superior to the SP3 for that use case. For me, the 3G/LTE module and Ethernet port are indispensable, and I prefer the notebook form factor. Still, for the price, I would expect the T904 to be a cut above the SP3 in all aspects.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

Wow ATIVQ, may I just cut and paste your post into my blog? :)

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

For me by far the number one issue with the T904 is the screen viewing angles and the low maximum brightness. I got it because I wanted the biggest screen available on a Wacom tablet in a notebook form factor while still being as thin/light/cool as possible. It ticks all those boxes, but the light weight SP3 and its gorgeous screen is a tempting proposition. I'm pretty sure I prefer the convertible form factor over the slate + keyboard cover for a device of this screen size, but the screen quality issues definitely tempt me.

I agree with ATIVQ. For the price, it should be better, but the penable tablet PC market is really not rich in choices, so I'm fairly sure this is the best device available for my use case.

ATIVQ likes this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Eh, you can copy-paste it, without attribution even (who is ATIVQ anyway?), but I think your readers don't really care for that much nit-picking. A short review will save everybody time.

I think Frenden summed it up really well in his Surface Pro 3 review.
    I think if I had bought a SP3 I would have liked it a bit less. I work with the device in my lap a lot, and the adjustable kickstand is genius for a table but not as nice on your lap.

9. surfaceproartist

So far, I haven't been bothered at all by parallax. When I ran the 25 pt calibration in landscape mode, I had no trouble hitting every single bullseye. This may be the most accurate Wacom device I've owned since my Surface Pro 1.

How off are the Fujitsu-supplied display drivers from the latest Intel versions? I'd like to see if that''s what's affecting multitouch zoom.

In addition to poor viewing angles, my device has significant light leaks along the bottom edge.

10. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

Question for surfaceproartist and ATIVQ: how does the keyboard compare to the Surface Pro 3? One of the primary reasons I am not interested in the Surface lines is the keyboard (besides personal preference of in favor of Wacom and a real hinge to allow true "lapability"), and from conversations I've had, I'm far from alone here. For instance, while it's expensive, the keyboard dock of the Q584 is one of its most valuable attributes to me. Is the T904's keyboard a noticeable improvement over the SP3?

Also, while clearly the thickness and weight of the SP3 is superior at 0.36" and 1.76lbs, the type cover does increase both to 0.56" and 2.4lbs. Still less than the Fujitsu (~0.7" and 3.3lbs), but I was impressed by how well the Fujitsu's dimensions compared to other ultrabooks or the most recent Macbook Pro. How do the thickness and weight of the SP3 and T904 compare in practice? Do the different form factors affect your perception using them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.