Fujitsu T734 Discussion?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by 2disbetter, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Crusoe mine doesn't seem to throttle, though it's newer than yours - you should probably play with XTU settings, and repaste if it doesn't help. Talking about CPU performance, there's Vaio Canvas Z with 4770HQ, but form-factor and battery life leave a lot to be desired; when it comes to expandability, there are no challengers, at all - except for older T901. T725 and T726 have soldered ULV CPUs and dropped the Expresscard slot, so T93X should be more interesting now, with their nice high-res displays.

2. Starlight5

After installing Windows 10, my second SSD in modular bay was detected as removable. It is unacceptable in some situations, e.g. when one uses BitLocker encryption. However, old 12.8 driver for Windows 8.1 from T734 support page resolved the problem. Otherwise, the machine is working great with new OS.

Also, 7260 AC's; Bluetooth is confirmed working on T734, making it WLAN of choice for this machine.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  3. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably won't matter for you since you are using an ssd, but I found when the notebook is rebooted, power is temporarily cut from the modular bay drive. I have a normal hdd in my modular bay and I can hear it spin down and spin back up on reboot. Is there a way to keep it powered on the whole time?

4. Starlight5

@utopian201 the only option I found that could be related is ODD power management, which is available in BIOS and doubled in System Manager or something like that. Try turning it off. Also, if your drive is detected as removable, see if making it fixed by installing Windows 8.1 IRST driver helps.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. Dan25man

Dan25man Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum (at least the first time I've posted) so here it goes.

The i7-4712MQ works in the T734! The temperatures are fairly good (see photo). I think it is safe to assume the i7-4702MQ would work as well (or any other G3 socketable Haswell mobile processor). I have taken photos of the repair process and am going to try and build an ifixit guide. I will post the link when it is complete.

You do end up taking the entire computer apart. I would only recommend this if you have electronics repair experience and/or are willing to possibly break your computer. There's no glued connections but there is some foil tape and some small ribbon cables to mess with. From start to finish it took me about 2.5 hrs to complete.

Two questions for the forum:
    1. How can I get touch working in Win10? Pen works fine but want finger touch capability. (I have tried resetting windows multiple times and has not worked so far.)
    2. Anyone know where to get a T734 docking station in the USA? The only listings I can find on ebay are selling out of the UK/EU.

Attached Files:

ATIVQ and Starlight5 like this.
  6. Starlight5

@Dan25man thanks for confirming 4712MQ works, I'd rather get it than 4702MQ! Any tips which easy-to-break connections to look out for, specifically?

Regarding touch - you sure your T734 has dual digitizer, not active only? If yes, try installing drivers from Fujitsu Website, I eventually got everything working by combining T734 drivers for 10 & 8.1. I use Microsoft driver for sound, though, with Realtek driver update blocked - otherwise there is no speaker/heaphone volume differentiation.

Regarding docking stations - I have a suspicion that docking stations from other models will work, but since Fujitsu never provides documentation can't be sure.

Also, did you try SSD in WWAN slot yet?

7. Dan25man

Dan25man Pen Pal - Newbie

@Starlight5, the only connector to worry about will be the keyboard connector. After you take the bottom screws off there will be an easy to see connector sitting about under the trackpad. Just disconnect it with a plastic spuger or equivalent. Otherwise the rest of the connections are normal ribbon cables. Make sure you flick up the plastic locking mechanism before trying to disconnect any ribbon cables. The whole motherboard is covered with aluminum tape (for environmental protection I suspect). A metal/plastic spuger go a long way to help from damaging any of this foil. Tho it's not necessary to the function of the laptop.

I'll have to check if dual digitizer or not. I didn't know they made just pen touch model. I'll have to dig into the drivers a bit more. Thanks!

Nope, I did not try an SSD in the WWAN slot. Just using an 850 Pro in the normal HDD location. I am eventually planning to try an run an eGPU from the expresscard slot. Though will wait a while on that project...

Attached Files:

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

@Dan25man keyboard connector I am already familiar with - partly disassembled the machine to install 7260 AC instead of 7260 N. Thank you for the tips!

If you have model with active (pen only) digitizer, I believe you can fit T732 display module as well as T734; saw it cheaper on ebay once or twice.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. Starlight5

Fujitsu WWAN Upgrade Guide (for T734 and others)

So, you bought a Fujitsu WWAN module for your Fujitsu machine, installed it - but the module isn't even recognized anywhere? Here's the solution.

DISCLAIMER

The procedure may ruin your machine. It WILL ruin your warranty. I do not recommend it. Visiting local Fujitsu authorized service partner and unlocking WWAN for a small fee is much better option. But if you happen to live, say, in Papua New Guinea - good luck and proceed with caution. (=

0. Make a completely readable photo of sticker on your backside, or write down ALL info you find there. Make a completely readable photo of BIOS info page (serial number, MAC address, etc.)
    1. Download this.
    2. Extract and install on a USB flash disk. Any 1GB and above will do. MicroSD card in USB adapter will do.
    3. Make sure you have SecureBoot, Smartcard SystemLock, and anything else TPM-related (except the TPM itself) disabled in BIOS; if you're running encrypted drives, make sure you know and have access to recovery keys.
    4. Enable CSM in BIOS, and make your USB flash disk first boot device.
    5. Boot from the USB flash drive. Start DIFS (1st option).
    6. Choose DIFS-standard. Make sure the WWAN card is listed under USB devices, otherwise stop - the card is faulty or incompatible. Exit DIFS.
    7. Launch DMI tools. Make sure your machine is listed as compatible, then choose Write DMI settings with S/N.
    8. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP. Try using your serial number. If the tool says it is invalid, try using different numbers from the backside sticker. Fujitsu has a nasty habit of writing 8-digit model number instead of 10-digit serial number in BIOS and on sticker, so they will know someone tampered with the machine and will reject your warranty if you have any left. DO NOT IMPROVISE SERIAL NUMBER, ABORT IF NONE OF YOURS WORK.
    9. Confirm the valid serial number, wait until the tool is done, reboot.
    10. Enter BIOS. Restore default settings, then adjust them as you please. Make sure WWAN is enabled. CLEAR TPM. Reboot.

Now you should have a machine with working WWAN. Your BIOS will likely have couple new options, too. Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Selofain likes this.
  10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Fascinating! What exactly is the bootable program? Something that unlocks/changes BIOS settings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.