Fujitsu T734 Discussion?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by 2disbetter, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Selofain the screws are a disaster indeed, already stripped one completely. Wasn't going to upgrade it so early, but for such a low price, I might bite. Of course I will make a guide in this case.

Selofain likes this.
  2. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just bear in mind the heatsink for the T734 already struggles with the stock cpus. I have an i5 4300m and it can only reach a maximum turbo speed of 3.21ghz, not the 3.3ghz maximum.

3. Starlight5

@utopian201 it seem to always run two cores. Max turbo frequency for 4300M when both cores are active is 3.2Ghz. My 4200M never climbs past 3.0GHz, has nothing to do with throttling. Also, 4702MQ is a stock CPU - the only quad-core i7 T734 were available with. I am looking for it specifically for that very reason.

4. Starlight5

So I went ahead and tried m.2 slot in WWAN-ready T734 for SATA compatibility as promised. It didn't work. =( I used m.2 to SATA adapter, the usual SATA cable, a SATA power splitter cable and an old HDD, and while the HDD powered on (I tried both using notebook's main bay and external USB enclosure for power source), the drive was never recognized. There's a possibility that my SATA cable or m.2 to SATA adapter are messed up, being new items untested anywhere else, so it would be great if someone tries an actual m.2 SSD in the machine, just to be sure.

IMG_20160117_191833_909.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Starlight5

Fujitsu T734 Wi-Fi Upgrade

Notes:
    * Fujitsu screws are very easy to strip - use only high-quality screwdriver
    * No additional tools required
    * Fujitsu T734 has non-whitelisted half-size mini PCIe slot for wi-fi.

0. Remove battery and modular bay device
    1. Unscrew screws marked with red circles
    step1.png
    2. Remove keyboard cover
    step2.png
    3. Unlatch keyboard assembly with your fingernail or special tool; do not pull yet.
    step3.png
    4. Carefully lift keyboard assembly up a bit, and disconnect keyboard & touchpad connector.
    step4.png
    5. Replace the wi-fi module.
    step5.png

Reverse the procedure to reassemble.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Selofain and ATIVQ like this.
  6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Precision flathead screwdrivers are the best at keeping screws from stripping. I used a regular Philips screwdriver on my T904 and it began stripping the screw almost immediately, so I switched to a precision flathead screwdriver, and everything went perfectly.

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Starlight5

On side note, Bluetooth doesn't work on AW-CB161H I bought to replace Intel 7260N, not recognized at all - as if something isn't wired to the slot. )'= Is it safe to assume that since 7260N's Bluetooth works, 7260AC's (or 3160HMW for that matter) will, too? Couldn't find whether their pinouts are exactly the same or not.

8. Crusoe

Crusoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.
    I'd love to pimp my T734.

Anyone tried mounting an I7 into it?
    Is it possible to replace the LCD with a full HD panel (with or without touch-screen)?

Also, I replaced my DVD with a 2TB hard drive, but couldn't find a bezel that fits (lost the original)...

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. Starlight5

@Crusoe T734 internally looks very similar to T902, so make yourself familiar with the service manual for latter. While I was figuring out how to disassemble the thing, both ridiculously cheap 4702MQs for sale in my town were gone - but I intend to upgrade it sooner or later. As for caddy bezel, I made mine out of weight-saver. Not an option if you pull it out often, though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  10. Crusoe

Crusoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a bunch.

I don't feel like pulling out the whole keyboard out...
    Good job on the caddy bezel (it looks smooth). I looked for the right one all over the web. I was even ready to buy a new DVD player just for its front bezel, but failed to find the original one.

I'm frustrated with the plastic quality, the low resolution screen and the throttling CPU. Otherwise, this PC is still excellent after two years of intense use. I love the ExpressCard slot for my pro sound card. Has there been any new challenger in the same category, since then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.