Fujitsu T734 Discussion?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by 2disbetter, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Selofain yes, it's a set of tools for diagnostics, adjusting BIOS, DMI, etc. for Fujitsu authorized service centers, leaked by one of the service partners.

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Ooo! ...I have absolutely no need of it (I'm pretty sure my machine came "WWAN ready"), but I think I'll download it anyway and stick a note in the folder reminding me what it is.

I kind of want to try it out just to try it out, but that's probably a bad idea. :p

3. Starlight5

@Selofain my machine came WWAN Ready too - that's the whole reason I had to use this software to activate WWAN option in BIOS. The WWAN module, being made by Fujitsu and listed as compatible, was not recognized in BIOS or system, only in DIFS. If it was a WWAN machine, the module would probably work right away. This issue was discussed on German Fujitsu forums, google translator helped me a lot. (=

It is safe to use DIFS as long as you don't touch anything else, or at least use common sense. It may not even be dangerous at all - but I learned how to use it the hard way. Using wrong serial number with DMI tool leads to wrong DMI data, and machine's hardware being misrecognized.

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

O_O That's so...ugh, really? Wow, I really dodged a bullet there. I nearly bought a WWAN module a couple years ago when I traveled overseas for a month, but I ended up hotspotting from my phone instead. I would have been so pissed if I had bought one only for it to not be recognized.

I think I'll leave off messing with the BIOS until I get a new machine some time in the distant future. Especially since this program doesn't seem to come with a manual.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Now that the slot is unlocked, I need to source and try 2240 SSD in it - maybe it'll finally work. (=
    When I bought the machine, I thought it will, and originally intended to put a 256GB SSD + 2x2TB HDD inside. (=

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  6. Starlight5

Fujitsu T7XX & E7XX DIY modular HDD kit

The DIY kit consists of a weight-saver with excessive plastic removed by pliers and a few dremel cuts, and a common 9.5mm optical bay HDD caddy. Holes in the weight-saver are drilled precisely underneath SSD mounting points, so two screws are holding the entire construction together. The solution is less elegant than Fujitsu's, however such a kit accepts 9.5mm drives without any problem, is easy to build and dirty cheap unlike the Fujitsu accessory; for me it was cheaper to buy a high-quality rotary tool, do it myself and keep the change, than hunt down a modular HDD kit or modular DVD bracket. Note that flimsy all-plastic optical bay caddy won't make a good base - it will sit loose and wobble.

IMG_20160621_205018.jpg IMG_20160621_205248.jpg IMG_20160621_205040.jpg IMG_20160621_205615.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    Burgundy and Selofain like this.
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, nice! I bought a generic one years ago, but returned it because it didn't work with the release mechanism. I don't think I realized it needed the bracket. Mine is currently with a blu-ray player I bought later.

I didn't realize the T734 still used a 9.5mm caddy. The official store no longer lists the compatible hdd caddy for the T901, but that's the same size and $20 cheaper. Hmmmmm.

It baffles me that I've never found a used modular hdd caddy for sale. Surely somebody somewhere has an unwanted one to sell? But no, I've never seen one.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

:confused: I must have been thinking of hard drive height. Yeah, that was the one I bought and returned. It was super difficult to push into the slot and even harder to remove. Back then I really used the mod bay with the battery and weight saver, so not being able to slide it in and out was a deal breaker.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Starlight5

@Selofain ah, I see. Well, purchasing the cheapest caddy and using it with optical drive bracket would solve the problem. I preferred the second battery, because it has the same capacity as main on T901. On T734, second battery capacity is very small; would love to get one anyway. T901 is a really nice machine, however after messing with faulty one for over 2 weeks and eventually returning it the hard way, my attitude towards it is somewhat more critical. I like keyboard and touchscreen of T901 less than T734 - and overall it feels massive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.