Fujitsu T734 Discussion?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by 2disbetter, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I've looked and don't see anything about the T734. From what I've read it seems like a real champ. Seems like Fujitsu is replacing the thinkpad with their diligence in making a laptop for the professional.

Anybody have one? What is the digitizer on it? What are your thoughts?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

2d

2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It's the only new full voltage TabletPC as far as I know. It has a Wacom digitiser and as far as I can tell is just a Haswell upgrade of the T732.

I wouldn't say Fujitisu are being very diligent in that area. They appear to have relegated the T90x to LV, haven't increased the T73x's resolution (though it doesn't need to be much higher) and they don't seem to have many new products with full voltage CPUs.

I'm sure Stoneseeker can enlighten you further. :D

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'll just like your comment and keep my mouth shut. ;)

but don't forget they lowered the max amount of RAM (16 to 8) in them as well!

---whoops! dangit, ok mouth is shut now.

Tams likes this.
  4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

The max ram in T734 is 8gb? That really is a shame...

5. 2disbetter

I was under the impression the max ram was 12gb. 4gb is soldered to the board, but there is 1 dimm slot available with a max of 8gb usable there.

Trust me guys, I understand the gripes, but please enlighten me as to where you can find anybody else offering the things you're missing, even if in only one model? Also in a device that is not the size of home base.

The t734 is a inch longer, .4" wider, and about .4" thicker than my x230. However with that minor space increase, it offers a dual digitizer, modular bay which provides either an optical drive or a battery that doesn't increase the size of the device. Build quality is excellent, and the hinge is bi-directional.

I understand regarding the lack of resolution. I would prefer it higher. But I stare at code all day, and that resolution is ideal for me on that size screen. Now when I'm working in Blender or sketching the story is different.

I'm serious however, do you know of a 12" or smaller laptop that provides all that the t734 does?

Edit: Also regarding the thinkpad line and it's demise. Look at Lenovo's ultra portable there. They are destroying the thinkpad line by using it's reputation to sell more laptops. The new x240 has a sealed battery, max of 8gb of ram, which is not upgradeable, and it's wider and longer than the x230 series. They have removed the long time running tried and true keyboard for a chicklet style (which does work well and provides back lighting now, but still...). Where the thinkpad line use to mean quality and durability, that assumption is no longer guaranteed. On the other hand I've seen Fujitsu continue to stick to the tried and true and not run towards new trends with the wild abandon that Lenovo does. Neither is perfect, but I just see Fujitsu giving me more computer. They are also not afraid to have a beefy laptop. The Fujitsu lines is more replaceable now than the Thinkpad series. That is a huge deal.

Just a few thoughts on the matter.

2d

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Starlight5 likes this.
  6. stoneseeker

Oh I agree Fujitsu is still the best of the bunch for sure. I'm just worried they too are going to be going the way of Lenovo. The T904 took a serious step in that direction, which was my main let down.

The T734 looks awesome the only models comparing would be the previous model or perhaps the X230t. But the fact that it lost dual SODIMM ram (one soldered, so 12 gig --not 8 gig max--, sorry for the confusion) didn't bother to increase res at all, seems like hardly any upgrade at all from the T732.

It's just that Fujitsu is responding to the changing demands and expectations of the business/corporate market and their demands, and the more business users that continue in the trend of "well I guess an ipad is enough for me" or thin and light ULV are plenty of power for my field... means Fujitsu needs to make changes like they did to the T904 in order to keep up with the pressure from their largest market of users. Leaving us power users and upgrade-junkies in the dark.

How many large businesses doling out tabletPC's for their staff really think user-replaceable batteries and HDD's are important if they are just gonna replace them in 2 years?

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

You've nailed it right there... All of the OEM's need their customers to move to a 24 month upgrade cycle to see profits return to the segment, Consumer Tablets typically are being replaced every 12 months....

8. 2disbetter

It really is a disappointing trend. One continues see us with diminishing returns. Either they stop making competent hardware or they quit driver support for products that are more than capable still. (Look at the x220t that can barely run windows 8 for an example.)

Still I'm just surprised there hasn't been more talk of the t734 around here. It seems like it currently is the reigning champ of the tablet pc world.

2d

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

As a user of a different tablet pc segment I object to calling it the champ =P Processing power isn't always the most important feature (in fact for most tablet pc users it is not, hence the trend).

Still though, it disturbs me that the options are so few... what happens when the market shifts away from my specific needs... It seemed before the Tablet PC market was good at supplying small niches (at niche prices), but now it seems everyone is rushing towards the same goal and leaving the old niches behind. Specifically what worries me is the health of the desktop market with everyone running to tablets. Same basic cause at work. To few people need high performance to do what they do with computers, and now that the cat is out of the bag, there wont be hordes of people willing to by an iSeries desktop tower to check email and browse the internet (while lowering prices and increasing R&D resources due to high sales volume)... at least the Desktop market has gamers to help keep sales afloat.

10. stoneseeker

bingo. As long as there are PC gamers, there will be demand for power. And there are many gamers. Enough to make the video game industry the largest growing (financially) entertainment sector in the world.

So it's not the desktops getting too expensive that worries me, just my niche powerful/portable products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.