Fujitsu T732 with i3 vs with i5 vs Microsoft Surface Pro

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Starrygirl2, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Starrygirl2

Starrygirl2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

I really want a laptop with the stylus pen with pressure sensitivity and I debating between the T732 and the Microsoft Surface Pro. I don't really want to spend more than $1200, so I was thinking of getting the $1,119 version of the T732. I saw some reviews of the Samsung Ativ Pro and reviewers are having problems with the keyboard and writing in the corners. I definitely don't want the Sony duo without the trackpad, and from what I've heard the Asus taichi is going up to $2000 so I don't want that one.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys think the T732 would be laggy drawing in photoshop because I saw a youtube video of the Samsung ativ pro with the i5 processor compared to the T902 and the Samsung was actually laggy. The T732 cheaper version is only with the i3, altho I think it has more RAM, but do you think it would be laggy. Do you think the extra $350 to get the T732 with the i5 Vpro processor is worth it just for this?

Surface Pro says it comes with the i5, and with the type keyboard and 128 SSD it's about the same price as the i3 version of T732. If the pen isn't at least 256 levels of sensitivity (nobody seems to know what the pressure sensitivity is right now) I probably will rule it out, but if it does have that, what would you suggest is the best choice, the surface pro, the T732 with i3 or should I really give in and spend the extra money on the T732 i5 vPro?

I do like that the T732 comes with more USB, the CD drive, backlit keyboard, the ability to type on your lap (looks impossible with surface pro). But I also like that the Surface pro is more portable; the T732 looks bulky.

Thanks a lot

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The T732 should be much faster than the Surface. Not only can you add more ram, have an extra battery in the modular bay, but if your worried about lag in large-ish photoshop files, the most important difference is the CPU. T732 has a full voltage processor, even the i3 is 2.4 ghz, whereas the surface will be using a ULV (ultra low voltage) CPU that sacrifices power for battery life and less heat.

Personally I think the boost from i3 to i5 is worth it for Vpro turbo boost tech. It will boost up to higher speeds when you need it. The real world differences can be felt between the i3 and i5 by a power user far easier than you would notice the difference between say an i5 and a i7. The difference felt between a ULV i5 and a full voltage i5 is even mire obvious as you saw in that video that Shogmaster posted.

Still, if you won't be painting huge documents or using large complex brushes, the Surface may be alright. I'd wait to see someone use photoshop on it before you preorder or anything though.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The problem with the $1200 i3 T732 ain't the power. Even though it's "only a i3", it's full voltage and clocked high.

The real problem you will have with that particular SKU of the T732 is the crappy TN LCD panel they use to save money. They will have really awful color shift, and you will have very narrow veiwing angle where the colors aren't washed out.

With the T732, you probably will have to go up to $1500 to get an IPS panel.

I suggest you go for a Lenovo X230T or X220T at their outlet store. All X230/220Ts come with IPS

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar...GroupID=445&Code=R9PEWEG-3434CTR#.UMFFRYaltdg

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar....detail?GroupID=445&Code=3437XB1#.UMFFhIaltdg

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar....detail?GroupID=445&Code=3435XF7#.UMFFvYaltdg

4. Starrygirl2

Thanks a lot for your replies! I didn't know about the ULV, but that makes sense. I didn't know about the TN vs IPS either. Thanks for the links, I looked into the thinkpads before, I actually have an old one now that isn't a convertible, but I was hoping to get Windows 8 with touch screen too. It's sad they didn't make the new Thinkpad twist with the stylus. I guess I'll have to compromise on something, but your input was very helpful.

5. Starrygirl2

6. Shogmaster

I wouldn't trust that page. If I were you, I would screen print that info and buy it from Newegg so that if they ship you a TN panel, you can get your money back.

All the past T7xx series shipped TN panel for the low priced SKU. I don't see why they would change all of the sudden.

7. Starrygirl2

Hmm okay thanks. I'll post if it is or not after I buy it, which will probably be after Christmas.

8. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Where did you get this information? I haven't seen it listed specifically with TN anywhere, whereas I -have- seen it listed with IPS. As far as I know, both the Fujitsu T902 and T732 have IPS panels. On the Fujitsu site, all variants of the T732 have been listed with a wide viewing angle screen. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same panel as the X230T; both are 1366x768 12.5".

One difference between the X230T and T732 is that the x230T uses 7mm hard drives. Not sure about the T732, but it can at least hold two drives, or 1 hard drive + optical drive. Also the X230T has a displayport, whereas T732 has HDMI.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  9. Shogmaster

The info is based on past T7xx lines. Fujitsu always offered cheaper version of T7xx that has TN panels. I owned a TN T730 myself for couple weeks. I took a chance on a eBay listing knowing I had a small chance of landing an IPS panel and of course it was TN.

Historically, T7xx sold at $1100 or so are TN. Above $1400 were IPS. The T732 follows similar pricing scheme, which gives it more than likely chance that they still have TN versions.

10. Starrygirl2

I see. Wow I just realized that the X230T does have touch and stylus input! It comes with Win7 but I guess I could buy win8. X230T is on sale now 20% off. Which do you think would be better, X230T or T732?

11. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is this for art? Or just general use??

The reason I ask is although the X230t is a good deal for the specs, the screen is known to have worse digitizer accuracy at the edges, and the build quality is questionable.
    Look on the Lenovo threads here and you'll find people discussing its shortcomings... but if I wasn't using it for lots of drawing and painting, I would pick the X230T.

12. Starrygirl2

thanks yeah, it is for general use, I'm not an artist but I want to be able to draw and stuff. I watched a video about the digitizer at the edges, and I guess it has to do with how you calibrate it.

13. Shogmaster

They are both very similar machines, but IIRC, X230T uses 7mm height hard drives where as T732 can use regular 9mm height hard drives, which would limit the hard drive upgrade choices for the X230T. But that's hardly a reason to pass up $200 or so discount on a X230T since X230T is being replaced with thinner but less capable model. Take advantage of that. And BTW, X230T ONLY ships with IPS.

Also, Microsoft is running $15 upgrade to Windows 8 if you purchase a new Windows 7 PC until early January.

14. Starrygirl2

Yay!!! Thanks so much for the info!

15. utopian201

Yes I think the T730 was TN only. I think on the T731, TN was a cheaper option but could be configured with IPS. All the variants of the T732 have touchscreens and are listed as wide viewing angle, so I think it has changed since the older models.

Where did you see it uses 9mm? I've been trying to find out; I know the modular bay only accepts 7mm, but can't find any info on the main bay.

16. Shogmaster

T730 had IPS versions like all Fujitsu T series. T4xxx had IPS panels from the beginning, but the T4400/T4300 departed with that tradition by offering cheaper version with TN panel. By the time it became T730, you didn't have a cheaper version, but just a SKU with TN panel for cheaper price.

There is absolutely no reason why they would make the main bay be limited to 7mm height. This Fujitsu. They have their ways and don't sway much.

17. utopian201

I'm more after the source of the info

18. toonsngraphics

toonsngraphics Pen Pal - Newbie

I am currently looking for a tablet. To do drawing and surfing the web with. I would be really curious which machine you went with. I was actually looking into the Fujitsu T732. If you bought the lenovo, how is that for drawing. Can you update on this thread? Thanks.

19. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought the Lenovo X230t (with Gorilla Glass) in June 2012 and it's not that great for drawing. I bought another Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 to tide me over until the Fujitsu Lifebook T903 (if that's what it's called) comes out.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  20. Mark Gordon

Mark Gordon Pen Pal - Newbie

can someone on this thread give me some tablet advice please