Fujitsu T502: pen calibration problems

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Marco, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I have just bought a new Fujitsu Lifebook T902 with windows 8 and I am experiencing some problems.

1) In the standard configuration the pen cursor is shifted from the stylus so I am trying to calibrate it with the standard microsoft pen calibration application that they linked on the desktop. The problem is that even when the pen is correctly calibrated with respect to the borders of the screen (which are actually the reference points of the calibration procedure) the cursor in the central area of the screen is still shifted (apparently there is a nonlinear mapping of the pen position to the screen). So I can't calibrate the pen correctly, I can just try to apply calibration that are wrong on the borders hoping to have a good calibration on the center. What can I do to solve this problem? Are there more sophisticated calibration tools?

2) I noticed also another additional problem: there are some applications such as xournal or mypaint that are not at all influenced by the calibration of the pen: they continue to see the stylus when it was in the standard configuration even if the cursor has been moved by the calibration: you actually see the pen writing at a fixed distance from the cursor. So I can't think of any way to calibrate the pen with these programs. Maybe it's a compatibility problem with windows 8 or what else?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have windows 7 and I can say that yes, I have that same issue, but careful calibration does solve it. The default calibration when I received the unit was about a half centimeter in the wrong direction, under my pen.
    So after a lot of messing around and experimenting with the calibration I could get the pen cursor where I needed it. I think its pretty normal with tabletPC's these days (Wacom at least) to have to mess around for a while to get it to work for you. Also, make sure to train yourself to look at the cursor, not at the pen tip. I know it's hard if that relationship changes a lot, but if it only changes a bit when you get close to the edges, eventually you get used to it and don't even notice it anymore. The drivers are crap, and you have to work with it to get it to work for you.

One thing I noticed is that there are 2 sides of the screen where edge drift is really bad (worse in certain spots), but the other sides are really good. I also am pretty sure that this is normal for newer wacom penabled tablets. The Lenovo X220t might be a bit more consistently worse, but I watched some you tube videos of a guys demonstrating the edge drift and it didn't look any worse than what I am used to on mine in the problem spots...

I know this is not ideal, and I am not saying it is a good thing, but this is one of the normal issues wacom penabled tabletPC enthusiasts have had to live with for a long time now. My asus ep121 definitely was calibrated and shielded a bit better, but it also drifted at the edges, and I had to mess with calibration a bit to get it the way I wanted it.

Also, make sure to calibrate the screen in the orientation that you plan on drawing on it the most. I only ever draw in reverse landscape, so I calibrate it for reverse landscape. If I flip the screen around my calibration is in the opposite direction of what I want.

Have you tried uninstalling the wacom drivers, resetting the calibration, and then using the 16 point calibration until it is as close to perfect as possible, THEN installing your wacom driver and calibrating it till you like it? Cause if you don't, then when you got wacom wintab programs like photoshop there will be a difference between this and the default windows calibration. You gotta calibrate windows perfect first, then calibrate wacom.