Fujitsu T4215 vs. Asus R1F

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Zain, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Gennaro

Gennaro Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a student who is opting for a tablet. After spending an extensive amount of time surfing the web I managed to narrow my tablet search to two models:

Fujitsu T4215 / Asus R1F

Both tablets seem to get good reviews, and are very nice. Now I'm not exactly a "noob" when it comes to hardware, but I simply cant decide.

My school reccomends the Fujitsu, as they have worked some deal out to knock off about 300 bucks off the MSRP, but is the Asus better?

The fujitsu model that I would purchase has these specs:

-Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2 GHz,4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    -1 GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM memory (1 GB x1) memory
    -12.1" XGA TFT indoor display with greater than 160° viewing angles
    -80 GB HDD (5400 RPM)
    -Modular Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer
    -Internal modem, 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN, and Intel® PRO/Wireless 945ABG Network
    -Bluetooth wireless 2.0

Its also got the goodies like the card readers and bla bla... a quality peice of hardware, and the specs are very good. The price for this unit would be $2,104.82 (at least i think thats 300 bucks off the price for this model)

Or, the Asus (which to my knowledge only has one configuration)

- Intel Core Duo 2 T5500 1.66GHz 2MB L2 Cache, 667FSB
    - 13.3" ColorShine (CS) 160° WXGA (1280x800) Display
    - 80GB Shock Mounted 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    - Modular Super Multi Format DVD±RW Drive (Slot)
    - Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
    - Integrated Intel Tri-Mode 802.11a+b/g Wireless LAN
    - Integrated Global 56K Modem
    - Integrated Bluetooth V2.0 EDR PAN
    - Trusted Platform Module & Finger Print Scanner
    - Built-in High Definition Audio w/Surround Sound

Another nice unit, 1 inch bigger screen...but in my eyes not that much difference... From what I see the online retailers sell this for about 1,800.00

Almost forgot to mention that this would be my first tablet purchase. And that I'll mostly be taking notes, watching DVDs, programming (all basic stuff) and some gaming (Don't get me wrong, I love games, but I'm not expecting too much from a tablet).

I do also understand that some of the specs are missing on each unit, but sorry =(.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

[Edit]: Where can I purchase an Asus R1F? I know that the major retailers do not sell them, but does anyone know of a good, trustworthy site? Thanks

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There have been some mixed issues surrounding the R1F that have come up. Being that this is going to be your "first" Tablet PC, I think I would sway you in the direction of the Fujitsu. You also won't have to play any guessing games in regards to retailers. However if you decide to go with the ASUS, I know that these folks will take great care of you: http://www.proportable.com/detail.aspx?ID=187

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree here with Barry on the choice Gennaro.
    Whilst the ASUS has a very slightly larger size screen of 13.3 over the 12.1 Fujitsu, we're not talking huge leaps of differences (especially if you opt for the SXGA on the Fujitsu).

The benefits with the Fujitsu lay not just in componant parts, but in how the machine is used ~ screen rotation both L&R, pen located on the screen for easier extraction, LCD indicators for many items inc power, batteries x 2, wifi, bt.
    Finally you will find that the customer services and tech support team do have the edge in providing a better service.
    Granted it's not such a huge difference as in say Toshiba but it is still significant.

4. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, You Can find the R1F With better specs. I am typing This on an R1F with a 2 GHz Processor.l got mine in Germany, but You should be able to find one in the States too. l must Say it's great. But the Fujitsu would have been my Other choice ,if it weren't so expensive here .

5. Gennaro

Gennaro Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd just like to thank everyone for replying. Just to let you know, proportable.com doesnt work, whether this is a temporary downtime I do not know.

P8erson, I have only spent about 5 minutes using the Fujitsu, and I do not quite understand how much of an advantage it is to have the screen swivel in both directions. Is it really that useful?

The ASUS doesnt have an extra battery(like the fujitsu in the modulator slot)? - The only way to get more power is to buy another "main" batt? aww

Also, barry, when you say there have been issues with the ASUS, what kind of issues?

Thanks again.

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Gennaro,
    The benefits of having the screen rotate both left and right are really dependant upon the situation you find yourself in at the time.

I.E.
    You are in a meeting and have the machine in 'laptop' mode, using the keyboard.
    Someone to your right asks a question and you decide to swivel the screen in his direction to show him....... Task complete.

Now had you a different tablet you would have had to pick up the machine and turn the whole tablet in his direction and then do the same again to put it back on your lap.

Just one use of it's ease in having a screen that rotates both left & right. :)

7. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

The Asus can accept a modular bay battery like the Fujitsu, but the batteries wont be available in the US for another month or so. What kind of warranty does the Fujitsu include?

Issues that I've had with my Asus is the static problem coming out of the s/pdif port, which seems to be a pretty widespread problem and currently has no fix. Construction wise, the Asus has been fantastic except for the pen silo and imo the bezel around the screen. The pen silo can be filed down a bit so it doesnt scratch the pen, but the screen bezel doesn't seem to be as solid as the rest of the laptop. Don't get me wrong, the screen itself is great and the back of it has almost no flex but the surrounding bezel in front just seems a bit loose in some areas as if they didnt apply enough adhesive or something in some spots.

Right now I would lean towards the Fujitsu because it's tried and true. Its construction is solid, most of its bugs have been fixed, and Fujitsu's support is pretty good. I like the Asus better because of its size. The size of this thing is pretty much perfect. Its about the size of a standard sheet of notebook paper so the way you write on it shouldn't have to change very much and the added real estate over the 12" comes in handy.

8. Gennaro

Gennaro Pen Pal - Newbie

The fujistu would have a 3 year accidental dmg plan.

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

Assuming the costs are comparable I'd stick with the Fujitsu. The Asus looks like a nice machine, but just doesn't have a track record yet. Couple this with the fact that your school has a relationship with Fujitsu and would be more likely to know how to address issues with those models and I think you have a winner.

10. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

If you school suggests the Fujitsu, I would get that. It's a matter of personal preference, in the end. Asus is high on aesthtics, and Fujitsus have great quality screens.

In my opinion, I prefer a smaller screen (the 12") over the 13.3" The Fujitsu you are comparing to the Asus also has a better processor, but you can configure the Asus with the T7200 as well.