Fujitsu T4210 Will Probably NEVER have an SXGA+ Display

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by TabletMaster, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

I don't know how far you keep your head from the display, but on my old 13.3" 1024*768 machine, I can't see the individual pixels unless I put my head right up close to the screen (much closer than you'd have it in practice)...it's really not such a big issue as everyone's making out...there's a reason they've made smaller laptop LCDs mainly at this res for the last 8 or 9 years...

Sure if you want get one that's higher res if you can, but it's not really worth all the trouble you're going to...

2. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

Quantifying the "worth" is entirely an exercise of personal preference; and for some, like myself (and obviously others), that amounts to a rather large value.

As I have said in other posts, I found the quality of the XGA Fujitsu screen to be acceptable for my mobile needs; it is the lack of screen "real estate" that is my main concern. Also, for the record, the difference in visual quality between the T4210 and the M400 SXGA model is blatantly obvious.

I am not bashing Fujitsu at all; indeed, I have already said that if the SXGA option was offered, this would be, IMO, by far the best 12" convert. tablet on the market. I realize that many people will find this resolution perfect - I know this because I fix people's home computers regularly, and I often find their 19" LCDs set to 1024x768, or their 17"ers set to 800x600 (!!!).

I don't expect Fujitsu to alter thier short-term plans in response to the complaints of what is perhaps a very narrow market of users, but I emailed them anyway :D

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good for you Rob. [​IMG]
    That's what we should all hear, instead of the gripes and moans without any follow-up.

4. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

Look ppl. for graphics work, etc high res is obviously must, but calling a 1020 resolution stone-age is kind of pushing it.

Remember that resolution is different from pixel density (dpi). A 12" at 1020X768 has way better spatial resolution than a 15" does. And at the end of the day one can only work with tiny objects for so long. I have 5 monitors: 21", 19", 17", 14" and my 12" tablet, and I set the character size on each screen to be rougly the same. Given the 12" constrain, higher resolution does make things look nicer, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you can comfortably work with more information at the same time.

As far as things like "ugly fonts", it's all about finding and using the font types that are comfortable for you. Window's default setting is not the optimal and one can make things alot smaller while maintaining readability.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another nice one....
    Always better to hear a discursive responce, rather than straight for the kill!

6. jerrmorn

jerrmorn Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a quick side note - A while back when trying to order the T4020 I had some problems with the reseller and ended up talking to the official Fujitsu rep in my area. She tipped me off to hold out since there was a new model coming out. When I asked her about the SXGA she said it didn't sell very well and they would only consider it for large special orders.

I have the regular XGA on the T4210 and have no problems - in fact, I fear the SXGA would have been too small for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.