Fujitsu T2010 vs. HP 2710p at the $1600 pricepoint

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by estarkey7, Aug 16, 2007.

1. estarkey7

estarkey7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a battle for the ages!! The T2010 was placed dead smack in the middle of HP's 2710p territory. Fujitsu forced HP to react on pricing and they dropped the low end 2710p to $1599, same as a similarly configured t2010. So which do you prefer??

Both have LED backlit screens, ULV Core duo 2 1.06Ghz, 1GB of Ram, Vista Business and 60GB hard drives and the dreaded point stick!! But that is where the similarities end.

Hard Drives
    2710p 4200rpm PATA
    T2010 5400rpm SATA

Function Buttons
    2710p None
    T2010p 4

Expandability
    2710p Expresscard/54, Sd
    T2010 32-bit CardBus, Sd and SmartCard

Audio
    2710p 24-bit, Mono Speaker, single microphone
    T2010 20-bit, (no info on speaker setup), dual microphones

Standard Battery Capacity
    2710p 44Whr
    T2010 62.6Whr

Communications
    2710p 802.11/a/b/g, bluetooth 2.0, Ethernet 10/100/1000, 56k
    T2010 802.11/a/b/g/draft-n, bluetooth 2.0, Ethernet 10/100/1000, 56k

External Display Capability
    2710p 2048x1536
    T2010 1600x1200

Size and Weight
    2710p 11.42w 8.35d 1.11h 3.8 pounds
    T2010 11.9w 8.8d 1.36h 3.52 pounds

OS option
    2710p 32 or 64 bit Vista Business
    T2010 32bit Vista Business

Warranty
    2710p 3 years
    T2010 1 year

Misc.
    2710p has a keyboard light
    T2010 has a bi-directional display rotation

So everyone, what did I miss??
    Love to hear everyone's pros and cons.

My Credit Card is burning a hole in my pocket!! i want to push the button by the end of today.

Many Thanks!!
    :)

2. mikeb

mikeb Pen Pal - Newbie

A couple of other items:
    2710p has the option for a webcam
    T2010 does not

T2010 has the option for 1GB of Intel turbo ram
    2710p does not

-I've read that the 2710p does have 802.11 draft-N, just on the sly. Not sure if you activate it with an update or not. Again, I've read this, not tested it.

The battery on the 2710p has a "fuel gauge. Not sure if the T2010 does.

Even though they both have the X3100 video chipset, HP states the 2710p is DX9, while Fujitsu states the T2010 is DX10. Not sure what's up with that.

These are two of the six systems on my matrix right now. I'm having a hard time picking one as well and need to make up my mind. It just seems that each one has a feature the others don't, but none of them have all the features I'm looking for. ARG!

3. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, it's a tough one...in the end, the question is: do you like brushed aluminum or black plastic?;)

4. estarkey7

I thought the T2010 was black magnesium????

5. benjaman

benjaman Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the exact same situation as you, will buy as soon as either is available over here (the hp is listed, but won't be shipped until sept 5th - Fujitsu isn't listed yet).

I don't mind a stick; actually I prefer it. But also I'm looking at the higher end models, with the U7600, 2GB of RAM and 100GB hdd (for the 2710p). The t2010 hdd is faster, but I will replace whichever with an SSD drive - so they'll be equal.

This is a huge advantage for the t2010 IF you use it as a slate for reading a lot. I won't, I've had tablets for 3 years and only rarely use it without having the pen readied. The HP has one button that can be configured to bring up a quicklauncher, which would be enough for me.

For me this gives the 2710p an edge - it allows adding lots of storage (another 16GB ssd) and possibly a cool MoGo 54 Pro mouse

Non-issue for me, I use headphones and a headset. Dual microphones are far superior though for picking up voice (I know that from the Toshiba M200), and I think someone in another forum was actually disappointed at the HP's performance in this regard.

On paper this is a big advantage for Fujitsu - almost 50 % more juice! And Fujitsu has an excellent (maybe the best?) reputation for battery life. Very important for me. The comments coming out concerning the hp are not bad though - over at gottabemobile.com one user clocked 3 1/2 hours with only modest savings; others have got 5 hours with optimization. Both models can be expanded - the Fujitsu with a larger 9-cell that sticks out at the front; the HP with a "slim" (1.8 cm, I think, bringing it to a chunky 4.5 cm total thickness) battery underneath. Anyhow, if I can get 5 hours, I'm happy.

It seems that the 2710p doesn't have draft-n as packaged, but can be configured to have it, as mikeb wrote. From CNet's review "You'll find a standard set of ports and connections on the 2710p, including support for the 802.11n, aka Draft N, Wi-Fi standard. HP seems to be including this on most of their current business laptops on the sly; as with the 2510p model, the HP Web site makes no mention of it. " Link On HP's Swedish site, draft-n is listed.

The 2710p also has an optional 3G module, which I will want. I don't know about the T2010, but it seems it's offered on most new notebooks so it is likely.

HP is heavier, T2010 is bigger - see my sizeeasy comparison: T2010 vs 2710p. That comparison should be even more favorable than it is to the HP, since the width measure is includes the "hump" where the swivel-hinge is. For me, the size difference is more important than the weight difference in this case.

...and also FreeDOS is an option for the HP :D

No competition here, but I've never turned in a laptop after more than a year's use. And by that time, I've probably voided the warranty by changing and installing components.

2710p also has bi-directional display rotation. It also has that nifty business-card reader, but over at Gottabemobile it seems it's the character recognition isn't the greatest.

Both have fingerprint readers

What we don't know about the Fujitsu - keyboard (the 2710p is getting good marks here), heat and noise (the 2710p seems to be low-noise and not too hot).

I personally also think that the design is very important. The Fujitsu is very nice looking, simple and clean - and it's black, which I prefer (hides the wear marks from prolonged, intensive typing). On the other hand, the HP looks very professional, the brushed aluminium is not "grey", and the whole machine - including the screen - is said to be very smudge resistant.

What kind of black it is... It seems to be coming in different versions - at least pre-production units. The one that Hugo Ortega showed off has a white keyboard and is (IMO) very, very ugly.

In conclusion, I think I'm leaning towards the HP. Small, adequate performance (when specced up), and it has some features that I know I'll use that the other one lacks - webcamera, keyboard light, 3G module. I'd love to have the battery life of the Fujitsu though, but even 5 hours is a big improvement for me and about the longest I'm away from outlets. Also, if I were to use it more as a slate, I would want the hard buttons and Fujitsu's wider experience overall with producing tablets.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. o-ron

o-ron Pen Pal - Newbie

The 5400rpm hard drive in the 2010 will make it considerably faster (unless you plan on swapping out the drives).

Also, the 2010 has the option of "turbo memory" from Intel - although it's debatable how much that helps.

IMHO, I think the 2710p is a much prettier looking machine.

on a side note, I didn't know the 2710p has a bi-directional display?

7. benjaman

benjaman Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't recall where I saw that, so I might be wrong about it. Can't see any directional indications on pictures though.

BTW it seems my battery life considerations where unfounded - did you see this:
    [​IMG]

That's with the extra Ultra Slim battery after 20 minutes of use...

8. derenrich

derenrich Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm tempted to agree with you, but I really dislike all of the pre-configured models. Why won't they let us customize them?

Also, can anyone confirm that the 2710p has n (as in someone who actually owns one)? HP's literature is conflicted.

Is that power estimate actually accurate? How much heavier/bigger does the second battery make the tablet?

9. estarkey7

I pulled the trigger and ordered the T2010. I was for the longest set on a purchase of the 2710p - but in the end the Fujitsu won. In the future I'm sure endless comparisons of the two will ensue on this forum. I don't think the owner of either machine will be disappointed.:)

10. o-ron

o-ron Pen Pal - Newbie

you'd be happy either way

it seems to me the Fujitsu has better quality/features/performances (by a small margin)

While the HP has better design/styling (by a small margin)

Just depends on which you prefer.

I finally just ordered a T4220 - I really wanted the 2710p, but as a power user I probably wouldn't be happy with the ULV.

Just my luck they'll probably release a *way* faster version in 3 weeks... :p

Good luck!