Fujitsu T2010 Hard Drive Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by robdam1001, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,
    I received my new T2010 about a week ago, but was too busy at work to really play with it until now. I decided I'd throw up some pics and quick walk-through on how I am going from the base el-cheapo model I bought to fully loaded. I hope this can be even slightly helpful for someone and if there are any requests for pics of anything specific just let me know. I apologize up front for lousy lighting and even worse handwriting in the pics ;)

Here is the tablet and the hardware I bought from a market to upgrade it. With the tablet, all the gear here, and $100 "delivery fee" to get it brought to me here in China I spent $1609 US. Note that without the special circumstances of me living in the far-east, this would have come in at less than the base model alone from Fujitsu direct.

[​IMG]

We'll start by replacing the 60gb Hard Drive that came installed. I also got a cheap external enclosure to use the Fujitsu HD as a backup once I swapped it out. This also comes in handy if you want to image the factory drive onto the new one. I had nothing on the drive yet so I just used the recovery disks to re-install the Fuji image cleanly on the new 160gb drive. Took about an hour to install vista, the drivers, and OneNote. Use all three disks and use them in that order when reinstalling onto a clean drive.

Below we see the underside of the tablet, hardware enclosures are labeled. TO get a the hard drive you need to unscrew the two screws marked with red circles. THey should come right out but they are cheap and soft so be carefull not to strip them. If you can, replace them immediately with better screws.

[​IMG]

Once the screws are out the cover slides downwards and then pops off. Don't lose the screws. With the cover off you can see the HD and the plastic sleeve it is resting in. Note the foam pads on all 6 sides of the drive to hold in in place and absorb shock.

[​IMG]

With the cover off the drive just comes right out. GO easy on the SATA connector when you pull the drive up, it's pretty firm but no reason to jerk on it. THe connector istelf is easy to disconnect from the drive and takes little pressure, here is the drive partially out, there is plenty of slack in the SATA cable.

[​IMG]

With the connector unplugged you can take the drive fully out and admire the plastic/vinyl sleeve with it's sticky foam pads that makes up the cutting-edge Fujitsu shock mount.

[​IMG]

Payattention to which sides of the drive the thicker pads go on for later....i.e. the thick pads go on the edge that takes the SATA plug. Peel them up on all 6 sides and the drive should slide out. IT will want to stick to the adhesive on the foam pads on the way out but be patient and don't rip the tabs and you'll be fine.

Below is the drive seperated from it's sleeve, showing the metal bit that goes towards the innards of the computer when you put it back in. I don't know what that thing does but I feel that, on principle if nothing else, it should be put back the same way it was when you took it out.

[​IMG]

So, there you have it. Just put the new drive into the sleeve and press the tabs back down to re-adhese the foam pads, paying atention to orientation (look at the picture with the cover off, note position of thick foam pads, metal bit, SATA connection at top), and put it back in the drive bay. You may need to wiggle it a bit to make it fit back in.
    Once you replace the cover and screws you just need to attach external dvd drive (you do have one right?) with windows disk and boot up. After installing the OS go straight to the drivers and apps disks and you are done!

I'll post a similar photo-guide to installing RAM and tweaking OS if there is interest. Big thanks to all the mods and experts who helped me out during the buying process, I really love this machine and I know I made the right choice for my needs. If mobility, screen clarity and brightness, and build quality are major concerns for you I highly recommend this tablet. With 4gb RAM it handles all the business and light graphics/video needs I have with zero problems and I barely notice it in my gear bag.

Happy Inking!

Mlalahoi

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well done. We get slowly but surely a nice and detailed list of tutorials about the T2010 and its "entrails" ;)
    Thank you very much for this post and these nice photos.

PS: Maybe a mod should collect all these single posts and put them together in one sticky post which contains all this helpful tutorials about the T2010.
    edit: or what's about a subforum in the Fujitsu forum called something like "T2010 Tutorials/HowTos" with all these single threads so that we are still able to discuss about these tuts

3. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

Great guide! I have a T4220 and I think it's pretty similar in how the HDD is mounted in. I plan to upgrade this week.

Just some advice for anyone planning to upgrade: make sure that the laptop shock sensor hard drive protection is compatible with the hard drive that you install. Sometimes shock software might try to recognize the drive and if it does not get recognized you may get warnings or errors. I don't know if this is the case with Fujitsu but I know Lenovo has had issues like this in the past.

Also, when I mentioned to the Fujitsu Tech Support representative on the phone that I was planning to upgrade my HDD, he said to make sure I check the website for the list of compatible hard drives. I could never find the list however. I may just end up going to Fry's and getting the biggest Fujitsu brand hard drive that they sell.

4. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

Ok, I just upgraded my T4220 HDD. It was easy. I got a 250GB Fujitsu drive for $109 from Fry's Electronics. Once I swapped it with my old drive, I just popped in the recovery CD (Vista Business) and followed directions.

The process takes a while though, especially if you consider trying to get all of the Windows Update and all the drivers back to their current versions. This is all still a work-in-progress for me.

5. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice job, thanks!

6. shoebox9

shoebox9 Pen Pal - Newbie

I put a Mitron 32Gb SSD in and it works very nicely. :)

7. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

A perfect guide! I just used it and had zero problems.

8. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice job, dirty fingernails and all! (J/K). Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.